Your Arkansas Senators at Work

skirby

Yesterday both Lincoln and Pryor voted against the funding of border fencing along the Mexican border. This is after a May 17th vote when both of them voted to build the fence. "I voted to build the fence before I voted against building the fence." Have they been hanging around Sen. Kerry too much?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it would be funny if they weren't representing our state. Sounds like they're just saying whatever is most popular at the time. Or maybe they realized later that a fence isn't the best solution after a little more thought.

Last night both Senators voted to fund the Homeland Security Department and adding more Border Patrol agents. Maybe they thought it was better to try to play catch than to keep them out. One sideline to the bill they passed was they approved a requirement that would require the United States to consult with the Mexican government before constructing the fencing.

^It'll be nice when Arkansas can send some grown-ups to the Senate again. For whatever Tim Hutchinson's faults were, he at least voted right and wouldn't be playing games with border security.

Yes, he did have that wide-demagogic appeal, didn't he?

Or maybe they realized later that a fence isn't the best solution after a little more thought.

We have a winner :-)

Yes, he did have that wide-demagogic appeal, didn't he?

He wasn't a member of the Demagogic party, he was a Republican. As for the fence-building stuff, I'm heartened to see the Dem party members not give a hang about national security. Keep following Dr. Dean and the Kommie-Kos wingnuts and you'll be the gift that keeps on giving every day of the year. :thumbsup:

He wasn't a member of the Demagogic party, he was a Republican. As for the fence-building stuff, I'm heartened to see the Dem party members not give a hang about national security. Keep following Dr. Dean and the Kommie-Kos wingnuts and you'll be the gift that keeps on giving every day of the year. :thumbsup:

It is much easily for a terrorist to cross the Canadian border. More Repub smoke screens.

The Arkansas farming industry needs immigrant seasonal laborers and Tyson would essentially collapse if illegal immigrants weren't allowed in the country. Maybe that played a role in the vote. There were about 40 senators that voted one way and then the other, which is perplexing to say the least.

I wish we had strong senators like we did in the good old days. Guys like Wilbur Mills, John McClellan, and Dake Bumpers (along with Pryor's father David) had a lot of pull in the Senate, especially the first two. Mills was the one that got I-630 built through Little Rock with federal funding. He might've been president were he not promiscuous.

You're absolutely right. If we just build a GIANT, concrete, perhaps electrical fence......wait, no, with giant rotating blades.........and.........lots of fire............ we'd definitely keep those illegals out.

"The solution: Giant fences."

That should be your bumper sticker.

Add that to your "I know of no France. Only freedom." sticker.

Are you kidding me? First off you right wing nut job, this is not a chance for you to rant your pea sized brain off, this is an educated discussion. Maybe BFE, Tennessee is one of those special all white cookie cutter towns, but here in Arkansas we benefit alot from these "illegal" immigrants.

As a proud Independent, neither one of the major parties are giving a hang about our national security. If you really gave a damn about national security you would quit buying gasoline. The Mexicans are not the problem. I'd be more worried of a Timothy McVeigh than a Juan Carlos. These immigrants are coming over here trying to make a living and a have a taste of this American Dream. Not blow up the place which is providing their very existence.

Don't be so selfish big boy; theres enough to go around for everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

What is so bad about admitting you may have been wrong about something. Heaven forbid we go with the right choice just because it was not the first one.

Maybe the good Senators figured out that their second choice was not the best. Yesterday they voted to fund the building of the fence. Should they say, " I voted for it before I voted against it. In the end I voted for it."

There was a news report the other day that the elected officials on the House side of Congress will only be in session 72 days this year. I guess the rest of the time they are living off the taxpayers hard earned money while being entertained by lobbyists.

Maybe the good Senators figured out that their second choice was not the best. Yesterday they voted to fund the building of the fence. Should they say, " I voted for it before I voted against it. In the end I voted for it."

There was a news report the other day that the elected officials on the House side of Congress will only be in session 72 days this year. I guess the rest of the time they are living off the taxpayers hard earned money while being entertained by lobbyists.

I'm sorry but I just don't see a fence working. Although I'm opposed for it more than just that. But to me it's just going to be a waste. If people are desperate enough they're going to find a way across.

• 1 month later...

Politicians are scared to death of this issue. Fences aren't the solution (in and of themselves), but they are a step in the right direction. There are two major problems that come from our lack of border security.

1. Influx of illegal immigrants that don't pay taxes, but use gov't programs to gain access to health care and such. It's costing the taxpayers billions. :angry:

2. Lack of border security is the single greatest threat facing America in terms of terrorism. I'm talking both Mexico and Canada. Mark my words, the next grand scale attack on America will be because of infiltration through the borders. :(

One problem I see is that the Mexican gov't is encouraging the lower class to cross the border, which puts a relief on their economy. There MUST be more cooperation with the Mexican gov't on this issue.

Personally I think the US needs a better policy towards immigration. Let's face it, they aren't going away so we should go ahead and try to set up something that works better. I still say I liked the plan they were talking about earlier in the year. Have immigrants show that they know English and some info about the country and charge them a fee for having already come over. In a sense making up for past taxes. But just kicking them all out isn't going to solve the problem. Because everyone will still end up paying more because guess what then who's going to do the work they were doing? Which in turn they'll have to pay someone a lot more to build your house pick your fruits and vegetables. So guess where all those costs will be passed on to? Right back to the consumer. The way I see it both extremes end up costing people money.

Archived