Texarkana photos

dimebag1980

I took some photos in Texarkana yesterday (Saturday) and figured I'd share them with everyone:

United States Post Office and Court House, Texas & Arkansas state line...

167604596.jpg

Some guy making a personal video while I was taking the photo...

167604540.jpg

167604497.jpg

167604574.jpg

Coordinates of this building...

167604613.jpg

167604621.jpg

167608528.jpg

Old Court House, now Regional Arts Center...

167600378.jpg

167600381.jpg

Old Saenger Theater, known these days as Perot Theater...

167621570.jpg

167621589.jpg

167621587.jpg

167621591.jpg

Saint Edward Catholic Church...

167622385.jpg

167622380.jpg

167622404.jpg

167622376.jpg

Beech Street First Baptist Church...

167622396.jpg

167622402.jpg

167622392.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics Brian. Nice tour of Texarkana, thanks for sharing those. That's really cool how the state-line cuts in the middle of the courthouse.

It's good to see the revitalization thats going on there too. Is the soon to be Legacy Corp. Tower the city's tallest ?

Great pics Brian. Nice tour of Texarkana, thanks for sharing those. That's really cool how the state-line cuts in the middle of the courthouse.

It's good to see the revitalization thats going on there too. Is the soon to be Legacy Corp. Tower the city's tallest ?

According to Emporis, no. The Hotel McCartney is the tallest at 10 floors, while the Grim (Legacy) is only 8. I'm really not sure what the Hotel McCartney is, because I don't recall having seen it. :dontknow:

Do you think the city should just tear down the McCartney? It looks like it's beyond repair.

To be honest, I don't know what building the McCartney is...!?

EDIT: I take that back, I do know which one it is now that I looked it up. Right across from Union Station. Yes, that place is in pretty bad shape but I believe the right investor could bring it back without bankrupting himself. It's far from the worst building I've ever seen as far as dilapidation is concerned.

Here's an article about this building. By the way, I haven't read this article yet so I have no idea if it's beneficial or not:

http://www.texasescapes.com/Preservation/H...rkana-Texas.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Show me more- Is Texarkana becoming part of the Shreveport Bossier Metro

Not anytime soon. Texarkana will begin growing south again soon, and Shreveport-Bossier is growing north, but Texarkana's growth is mostly to the west into eastern Texas. I-49 will bring them closer without a doubt, as it will open up new areas of south Texarkana and north Shreveport, but the two regions will stay distanced for a long while, no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

How about today? You seem to have nothing better to do today than talk down about Texarkana.

:D I thought that might of got to you a bit. Just having a little fun. And today would have been a good day cause I have done absolutly nothing all day. :rolleyes:

City-bashing, however subtle, is tacky and uncalled-for; and while Texarkana isn't my hometown, I respect it as a very nice, growing area and my second home. The statement "I went through Texarkana and that was enough for me," with the included "sleepy" emoticon, was entirely out of line and best left unsaid. I was very nice in my response to that statement, because believe me, that wasn't what I was really thinking. I'll leave it at that.

That's some nice new development going on in Texarkana. I like the design of the cinema too. That Ace of Clubs House is cool looking.

Thanks, Richy. I'm glad to know someone recognizes that Texarkana is a very nice area. In the last 5-6 years that I've been visiting Texarkana, I've enjoyed it very much. I only didn't enjoy it while I lived there for a short while... and that had NOTHING to do with Texarkana but rather the fact that I was commuting 85 miles one way, every day.

• 3 months later...

I visted Texakarna on my short trip to TX. Explored downtown for a while. Very interesting place.

Certainly glad to see the Grim Hotel will be regenerated, nice building. Frankly we were a little worried to get out of the car for too long... . The downtown was very small and the level of abandonment was interesting. The state line avenue was the usual strip malls and fast food restaraunts, a little devoid of character. It didnt jump out as the nicest place in the world. I mainly used the pics to boost my works photo library. Lots of oppotunity though. And a cool name!

I visted Texakarna on my short trip to TX. Explored downtown for a while. Very interesting place.

Certainly glad to see the Grim Hotel will be regenerated, nice building. Frankly we were a little worried to get out of the car for too long... . The downtown was very small and the level of abandonment was interesting. The state line avenue was the usual strip malls and fast food restaraunts, a little devoid of character. It didnt jump out as the nicest place in the world. I mainly used the pics to boost my works photo library. Lots of oppotunity though. And a cool name!

The UK, so i guess my opinion is tainted a little.

Don't get me wrong though, I mean everywhere has grim looking cities, Leicester and Swansea are harldy jewels in the British crown, and don't get me started on Marseille, France or the Ruhr Valley, Germany.

I dont know. Just compared to Fort Worth and Dallas and San Antonio it didn't jump out as particularily nice. I think theres a lot of money in Fort Worth and Dallas though.

http://public.fotki.com/b3nr/

Here are my holiday pics of Texas / Arkansas and Oklahoma. Fascinating trip. As a bit of an urban planning nerd I treated the whole thing as a bit of a field trip :P

Archived