Southend Brewery Has Closed

Transplant

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure about this specific location, but SEB hasn't been doing too well in any case. I think the trend of restaurants that brew their own beer has played out and a number of these places are closing down. The SEB has closed here in Lake Norman as well and I understand their original store in South End is no longer the packed place that it once was. Trends are just that, trends, and this place place has met the fate of that befalls all theme oriented restaurants.

When they first opened, we used to go all the time. But then, a couple of years ago, we went a couple times in a row and had bad meals. These days, there are just too many food options in Raleigh to return to a place that has served you bad food. To me, it is as simple as that.

I know they had some SERIOUS sanitation problems. Here are the worst of the many scores they got in the last three years:

07/14/2004 grade: 82 + 2

06/07/2006 grade: 80.5

06/27/2006 grade: 87 + 2

Comments from the last one:

2. The small refrigerator that is tilted is 60 degrees and the milk must be maintained at 45 degrees or colder. 2.5

15. Do not store utensils in water and not in sanitizer. Store them on a clean dry surface or in a hot-water well held at 140 degrees or hoter. 1.5

17. Some equipment needs cleaning more thoroughly. There is condensation leaks in some refrigerators.Clean gaskits. Remove moldy caulk and replace. Clean piping around equipment. Much equipment is in bad repaire and needs replacement. 1.0

18. The hot water is intermitten from 100 degrees to 127 degrees. 5.0

24. There is still a problem with drain flies but it is not as bad as the last inspection. There was some signs of rodents near the dish machine. 2.0

28. Some of the walls are damaged under equipment and next to to stone oven. Clean under equipment. The beer cooler floor is in bad repair. 0.5

29. The lighting is better but it must be 50 foot candles at all work areas. 0.5

General Comments

Drain stoped up in bar. Holes in rest room walls. Junk behind building and in storage areas.

I know they had some SERIOUS sanitation problems. Here are the worst of the many scores they got in the last three years:

07/14/2004 grade: 82 + 2

06/07/2006 grade: 80.5

06/27/2006 grade: 87 + 2

Maybe I'm glad they did close. Those low scores are real bad.

I was talking with someone this weekend, and the owner of Prime Only bought (or leased) the SEB space.

I must say that I really like the building and feel of the place but it was not on my list of places to go until 3 months or so ago. I had a business associate in town and we were going to eat somewhere DT and then do a pub crawl. I thought it would be less crowded than other places and I refuse to take a business associate to 42nd Street (made that mistake and will never do it again--what a shame)

The place was crowded and there was a wait so I thought, maybe this place does do well and it was just off my list. I planned on coming back. I did think the bar was somewhat empty and I thought the beer was OK but not great.

I have read where the group "It's prime only" but that would go directly against Morton’s coming and Sullivan's and I would rather see a average cost place come in.

That is the 2nd powerhouse area place to change hands. Is there an issue there? Not sure? I just know the last place I want to eat is 42nd Street unless I am going to eat oysters. I wonder how they are doing ?

It's a GREAT building (on the national register of historic places) and location to be sure--I just love Jones Street right through there--one of my favorite "nooks" of Raleigh.

I've been there a few times, but it's been years since it was near the top of my list of places to go in DT Raleigh. Food and beer was just average to me.

This is a good chance for a local brewery to move into that location, maybe Carolina Brewery, Top of the Hill, etc. I wouldn't mind seeing the Weeping Radish come back.

God, I would die and go to heaven if say Carolina Brewing Co--of CPA fame--moved in there!!! Saturday brewery tours would be out of this world! :w00t:

People at Carolina Brewery have mentioned trying to get into the Raleigh market. They are opening up a new one in downtown Pittsboro shortly. I think the old Greenshields location would be great as the SEB location is already accounted for.

Powerhouse was the destination before Glenwood fully blossomed...I have thought that the re-centering of activity to Glenwood actually hurts Powerhouse Square in the short term with the likely outcome that in the long term with 222 coming online that there will be a successful large continous nightlife district composed of teh two areas.....I have noticed too that 518 has been a little sparse (even before losing their parking) SEB also seemed to have a problem with functional space....even though the building rocks it is large and dark, and the setup of three different rooms never seemed to suit the space....much like the feeling inside Greenshields IMO. Both of these structures should be divided into two different restaurants to create more intimate spaces and both felt oppressively dark as opposed to happily dark if that difference can be discerned :) all of course imo....

Powerhouse was the destination before Glenwood fully blossomed...I have thought that the re-centering of activity to Glenwood actually hurts Powerhouse Square in the short term with the likely outcome that in the long term with 222 coming online that there will be a successful large continous nightlife district composed of teh two areas.....I have noticed too that 518 has been a little sparse (even before losing their parking) SEB also seemed to have a problem with functional space....even though the building rocks it is large and dark, and the setup of three different rooms never seemed to suit the space....much like the feeling inside Greenshields IMO. Both of these structures should be divided into two different restaurants to create more intimate spaces and both felt oppressively dark as opposed to happily dark if that difference can be discerned :) all of course imo....

Great points. and this is a reason why I sometimes wonder about Fay St opening up and will it effect Glenwood South in the long run.

For those who have been here 10 years, it use to be Moore Square that was the place to go out. And as Glenwood South has opened, I believe Moore Square has struggled somewhat. Now that Fay Street is coming on board, what does that do to Glenwood South and the Depot district? To much too fast ??? I am not sure.

Can all these districts succeed all at once ? Glenwood South, 5-Points, Powerhouse, Warehouse District, Depot District, Fay Street, Moore Square, Sites near the old convention center, behind the CC (Poole

I'd like to see some of these nightlife districts make a transition to more boutique and traditional retail. I definitely don't think Raleigh can support four or five nightlife districts downtown (Moore Square, Warehouse district, Glenwood South, Powerhouse Square, and now Fayetteville Street.) I also wouldn't want it to, either. Quite honestly, if downtown is full of nothing but bars and clubs, then there will be nothing to do there on a Saturday afternoon, and all the noise and drunkenness would make it seem unlivable to many potential residents.

There will be a correction, and I think that it will help downtown to balance out in the end- instead of being so focused on nightlife as it is now.

I'd love to see a free drinkin' trolley on weekend nights to connect these districts for people within minutes. :shades:

The trolly they had a few years back was great. I guess the cost was more than it was worth. With all these districts opening up, it could be needed again. Maybe a sponsorship from a private source could keep it going?

"Ride the Progress Energy Trolly from Fay St to Glenwood South "

That or let the "The Magic Bus" or the The Couch Trip" bus ride in circles for a cost.

I'd love to see a free drinkin' trolley on weekend nights to connect these districts for people within minutes.
I have to agree. after a few drinks, getting from one area to the other gets a bit hairy :) Seriously, as the DT population increases, a trolley will become more feasible.

I'd like to see some of these nightlife districts make a transition to more boutique and traditional retail. I definitely don't think Raleigh can support four or five nightlife districts downtown (Moore Square, Warehouse district, Glenwood South, Powerhouse Square, and now Fayetteville Street.) I also wouldn't want it to, either. Quite honestly, if downtown is full of nothing but bars and clubs, then there will be nothing to do there on a Saturday afternoon, and all the noise and drunkenness would make it seem unlivable to many potential residents.

There will be a correction, and I think that it will help downtown to balance out in the end- instead of being so focused on nightlife as it is now.

I agree with this too. I've always been surprised that some folks (not picking on anyone here) consider Powerhouse Square different than Glenwood South. For me, its always been the same thing. After all, they're one street away. As projects like West At North come online, these areas will merge together even more.

Hopefully, the DT population does continue to grow, and as it does, areas around Moore Square/City Market will boost that area back up. (Side note, how cool would it be for the parking lot to the east of City Market used to expand the City Market concept, and possibly add low cost housing for artists associated with Artspace? )

I can see Fayetteville St becoming a shopping destination. I can also see Hillsboro/Morgan/Edenton becoming built up with retail.

Raleigh needs retailers Downtown, both mom and pops, and chains.

GO RALEIGH GO! (hopefully a brew pub will open somewhere to replace Southend & Greenshields.....I'm thirsty.)

I have to agree. after a few drinks, getting from one area to the other gets a bit hairy :) Seriously, as the DT population increases, a trolley will become more feasible.

I agree with this too. I've always been surprised that some folks (not picking on anyone here) consider Powerhouse Square different than Glenwood South. For me, its always been the same thing. After all, they're one street away. As projects like West At North come online, these areas will merge together even more.

I don't really think of them as different...I just noticed that lots of other people do......that one street seems to make a big difference...just look at the distribution of the hot dog carts!

I think having all of these nightlife districts is a good thing....they will ebb and flow. It seems to me that the area around Moore Square is starting to pick up right now w/ Raleigh Times, Wild Ginger, and Riviera popping up. By sheer numbers it's really beginning to rival Glenwood South. Certain areas will cool off from time to time---only to pick up 2 years later. The city is always evolving.

I REALLY agree on the diversity of downtown retail. That's what I really am excited about w/ Blount Street and site 1. People need reasons to mill around aside from just restaurants and bars. How about some boutiques, bookstores, a few nice cafes...lounge around a water feature (Plensa?) --that is a day in the city to me. I think Fayetteville Street could fill this nicely.

How about some boutiques, bookstores, a few nice cafes...lounge around a water feature (Plensa?) --that is a day in the city to me. I think Fayetteville Street could fill this nicely.

I have always said that DT Raleigh will have hit a new plateau when people could go eat a late dinner and walk crowded streets shopping/window shopping and end up at a crowded non-chain bookstore at midnight where they have someone playing guitar off to the side and they end up buying a book.

A few years ago, this happen in DC around Dupont Circle and I thought Raleigh had a ways to go before this would happen.

Archived