Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

northernbizzkit1

Germantown Build Out

18 posts in this topic

The Daily News ran an article recently about medical development in Germantown, but what interested me was the mention of how Germantown officials site that in ten years, all of the available real estate in Germantown will be developed. Where will the city go then? The only ideas I have are making downtown Germantown (where Three Oaks Grill and the Book Depot are) a bit more dense by having the stores right on the street...maybe offer lofts above those buildings. Otherwise, the only other option I could see is make the Wolf River Blvd. corridor open for high-rise development.

The Daily News ran an article recently about medical development in Germantown, but what interested me was the mention of how Germantown officials site that in ten years, all of the available real estate in Germantown will be developed. Where will the city go then? The only ideas I have are making downtown Germantown (where Three Oaks Grill and the Book Depot are) a bit more dense by having the stores right on the street...maybe offer lofts above those buildings. Otherwise, the only other option I could see is make the Wolf River Blvd. corridor open for high-rise development.

Didn't city officals promise that area will be preserved as a park? Germantown is certainly running out of space so why not do what Memphis does? Annex unincorporated Cordova!!! Are there any rules that say Germantown can't annex parts of Fayette County? It'll be hard to convince Old Germantown residents to have highrises. They can't even build a luxury hotel or a water tower without extreme opposition.

Didn't city officals promise that area will be preserved as a park? Germantown is certainly running out of space so why not do what Memphis does? Annex unincorporated Cordova!!! Are there any rules that say Germantown can't annex parts of Fayette County? It'll be hard to convince Old Germantown residents to have highrises. They can't even build a luxury hotel or a water tower without extreme opposition.

I know...Wolf River Blvd. isn't included in Old Germantown, tho. That is where all of the medical development is going. I've always wondered why Germantown can't get more land or why it couldn't get any more reserve spots.

I think Gtown needs to look at developing itself into the Buckhead area of Memphis. We're going to have to build up real soon here. Why not create a great density right where Saddle Creek is? Personally, I'd buy a condo in gtown before I would anywhere else in Shelby Co. I don't think the younger citizens of Gtown are at all opposed to smart development. We should definitely look at upping the height limits in certain areas. I can't see that traffic would get any worse than it already is. - ok I have been rambling but I do see Gtown's future having some height and density (maybe it is more of a dream - lol)

I think Gtown needs to look at developing itself into the Buckhead area of Memphis. We're going to have to build up real soon here. Why not create a great density right where Saddle Creek is? Personally, I'd buy a condo in gtown before I would anywhere else in Shelby Co. I don't think the younger citizens of Gtown are at all opposed to smart development. We should definitely look at upping the height limits in certain areas. I can't see that traffic would get any worse than it already is. - ok I have been rambling but I do see Gtown's future having some height and density (maybe it is more of a dream - lol)

I don't see people there going for even midrises, much less high rises. They b!tch over everything, even when a retailer wants to put up a sign (i.e. Apple or Chick Fil A). If you want midrises, you might want to try to convert the mindset of people in Bartlett or Millington before it gets as entrenched over there as it is in G'town.

PS, I hope I'm wrong about G'town, but living there for 10 of my first 18 years, that's just what I saw.

I know...Wolf River Blvd. isn't included in Old Germantown, tho. That is where all of the medical development is going. I've always wondered why Germantown can't get more land or why it couldn't get any more reserve spots.

My bad. Is the medical developments getting developed at the old Walmart? If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Wolf River Blvd supposed to connect Germantown to Collierville? I thought they said that there won't be any developments along this road if TDOT built it because the goal was to decrease traffic along Poplar. Maybe I'm missing something...

I don't see people there going for even midrises, much less high rises. They b!tch over everything, even when a retailer wants to put up a sign (i.e. Apple or Chick Fil A). If you want midrises, you might want to try to convert the mindset of people in Bartlett or Millington before it gets as entrenched over there as it is in G'town.

PS, I hope I'm wrong about G'town, but living there for 10 of my first 18 years, that's just what I saw.

True, but...now, this may get me in trouble...i dunno...but I think the problem comes from the 60+ crowd living in older parts of Germantown. If you look at who made a big fuss over the water tower in G'town and even the Golden Tulip, it tends to come from residents living in a retirement community of $400,000+ zero-lot line homes. I believe that in 5-10 years when these folks start dying out and real estate is skyrocketing, that's when you'll see change. I also think Goldsworthy may have to go. At least she did recognize the need to redo Old Germantown and make it more urban by offering stores with lofts on the second floor. However, I feel that the younger generation will recognize the need to avoid stagnation. I can see Wolf River Blvd. as well as the Germantown Road/Poplar area becoming the two urban areas of Germantown. Wolf River will house all the medical and plus, it is heading that way with the Opera Memphis center just outside of city borders (and all the Quail Hollow buildings are nearby). I could see the city closing all but the Exxon station on Germantown Road/Poplar (all of them sell beer to underage kids, anyway) and even demolishing the ugly building that houses Germantown Hardware and then that MLG&W building next to it to give way to at least some better development. Maybe that's another leg of Saddle Creek...maybe it's a 20-story building. Forgive the ramble. Bartlett and Millington won't see development like this simply because they aren't at risk of running out of land yet.

Germantown will grow up before the other suburbs will. I totally agree with the statement that all the oldies are the problem. That generation has always had a problem with trying to hold on to the past (and power) when they really do need to hand the reigns down to another generation.

Gtown has no options aside from tearing down what is already built (like the old Kmart/Hobby Lobby shopping center) and building some density. JMO.

I'm sorry, I disagree. There are a number of families and folks in their late thirties and over who have bought the fearmongering over certain kinds of development (that building over three stories, or having signs that are "too big" will detrimentally affect their "way of life"). While I agree the baby-boomer sector is definitely against mid and highrises, the problem doesn't go away when they do. It's like this ludicrous infection of an absurd opinion that gets passed from generation to generation.

It will be interesting what will happen when they can no longer build out. I think first they will infill (i.e. fill up all the parking lots). Then the difficult decision will have to be made if they should build up and how. I hope you guys are right and they will build up. I just don't see it. I've just grown skeptical with the whole suburb.

I read somewhere that Germantowns population is gonna shrink greatly in the next few years. I think it was about resisting the building of a Southwind High School to solve overcrowding at Germantown High. The population probably won't shrink if the projects planned for East Memphis go through, but the mindset might change. I think Lakeland might adopt Germantowns state of mind in the future. Future residents of Germantown might be more openminded to midrises or one mega highrise to compensate against building alot of midrises.

I think the mindset of the 25-50 crowd is much more progressive than the 50+ crowd. I'm not saying that it is homogenous that everyone in the 25-50 bracket in G'town is for erecting skyscrapers throughout the city; however, most of them recognize the need to maintain the image of G'town and keep it as the premiere suburb of the city. For instance, if you look at the Germantown Baptist split, 90% of those who were against church elders and a body (this is coming from my friend's dad who is a minister there) were over the age of 55 while roughly 90% of those for elders were the younger crowd. This is the same group that campaigns relentlessly for progress at the church. Now, I know that may be a rough comparison, but if you look at the neighborhoods in Germantown that are going up today...Devonshire, Bedford Plantation, the Enclave, and all of the places flanking Wolf River Blvd. near Houston and Johnson Road, it is primarily a younger crowd. The cost of living in Germantown is pushing out the older mindset simply because most of them can't afford to plunk down $200,000-$300,000 on a lot and then build a home for $800,000 on top of that. I think in ten years, you will see a less vocal crowd of CITIZENS in the city who are opposed to high-rise development because they will want the city to keep up with the reputation. However, what will most likely bring the complete change in mindset on high rises will be when the Mayor and the Germantown City Council changes. Ernest Chism, Goldsworthy, Uhlhorn, and others need to be replaced for more progressive and open-minded thinkers to keep the city in competition with Collierville. These factors combined, I believe that you will then begin to see a difference.

Clobber, I agree with your infill statement, but that's already happening now. So many neighborhoods are giving up parks and greenspaces to permit neighborhoods full of McMansions to pop up. My best guess is that the next big development that could happen is if Hugh Frank Smith sells the farm (since he closed the riding school) and makes way for a large development (probably residential). I also can imagine what you see in the Tuckahoe area in East Memphis will happen in the older parts of G'town. People will spend around $200,000 on a house and tear it down to build newer homes just to say they live in Germantown. I believe this will spike the property values in the city even more, and that's when you'll finally see high-rises come because there will be little land left. I agree...I see the shopping center with Hobby Lobby and the adjacent one with Dollar Tree and the Firestone repair shop going down and giving way to an urban development with a few mid-rises or high-rises with street level retail.

I like your ideas about Gtown. I'm one of those younger residents that respects what Gtown already is but I have visions to keep it going strong. I really like yhe urban village concept you mentioned for the shopping centers on Exeter. If we were to develop the city smartly Germantown could continue to be the exclusive suburb of Memphis.

A couple of updates on Germantown projects. The guy who was trying to develop the Golden Tulip has pulled out. He says he's looking for at two other communities who would want this project. I really hope he stays somewhere in the Memphis area.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/german...4955157,00.html

And Germatown is having a "smart growth" discussion which actually includes eliminating height restrictions. I would love to see Germantown put in some of those countdown crosswalks.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...4965361,00.html

I think Gtown missed out with Golden Tulip. I would like to see this town embrace some change - nothing too major but some change is needed. I understand protecting investments like homes but if you have a stale economy then your investment is really not working too well for you. Don't you want growth and exclusiveness? I swear someone will end up plopping down a Marriott or a Clarion here and I'll just have to laugh. Oh well.

I think germantown was to conservative, that project could have sparked some great things for that city, which lacks in hotels and office space

I think germantown was to conservative, that project could have sparked some great things for that city, which lacks in hotels and office space

According to Mayor Goldsworthy, the developer hardly tried to work with the city to get the project on the ground. Basically there was one rejection, then 3 months later he pulled out. It seems unlikely that zoning and compliance issues are what killed the project...

I definitely agree that Germantown has a lot of good things going for it, but I personally don't see it ever being anything other than a bedroom community for East Memphis, and in 10-15 years, Collierville. NIMBY sentiment is alive and well across the city. <_<

Can somebody answer this question? Where is the southern border of G'town city limits? Does it extend all the way to the Mississippi line? Does it include 385 @ Forest Hill? There's a definite lack of signage regarding the various city limits in that area...

^Zoning Map

Looking at the zoning map, their borders extend to the Wolf River, just north of Forest Hill Irene @ TN-385. But, at that point, the city limits are only on the east side of Forest Hill Irene. I do believe they have annexed all of their reserve area.