Savannah Population Growth

SavannahGa

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im suprised that you ask that Spartan, as it seems to be a very important topic seeing as how alot of out growth these days seems to be coming from Latin American countries.

Id much rather discuss something like this than..."new mcdonalds being built of Hwy 23" or something like that.

I wonder which Mid-sized Georgia city has the highest percentage of Latinos, (outside of Gainesville and the other North Georgia cities where latinos sometimes make up as much as 30% of the total population.)

Im suprised that you ask that Spartan, as it seems to be a very important topic seeing as how alot of out growth these days seems to be coming from Latin American countries.

Id much rather discuss something like this than..."new mcdonalds being built of Hwy 23" or something like that.

I wonder which Mid-sized Georgia city has the highest percentage of Latinos, (outside of Gainesville and the other North Georgia cities where latinos sometimes make up as much as 30% of the total population.)

I know. I read it. People should make points when they post links to articles. If its an article worth reading you should be able to say something about it when you post about it.

The immigration of Hispanics (Mexicans), legal or illegal, is very noticable in South Georgia these days, so I am not suprised to see this in Savannah. I am, however, surprised that the number is that low.

It's amazing how much of south and north Georgia are being transformed. I've noticed it some in Augusta but not really that much. I've never really noticed it at all in Savannah, but I've noticed it a lot in Hilton Head and I would expect some of that to spill over into the Savannah area. I too am suprised at actually how low that number was.

Socaguy, outside of north Georgia I'm not really sure, but Grovetown in Columbia County is about 10% Hispanic now.

Pillsbury, the main areas where hispanics have settled in the Augusta metro are North Augusta/Belvedere and other parts of Aiken County and, as you mentioned, Grovetown in Georgia. Other than those areas, there arent any barrios or other large communities of Hispanics...at least those from Mexico/Central America. There is a fair number of Puerto Ricans living in South Augusta, but most of those are military families or relatives.

I think those numbers for Savannah are fairly low but most of the hispanics in South Georgia live in rural areas.

I saw on the national news a few months back (I think it was NBC) they were calling Georgia..."Georgiafornia" because of the huge populations of undoc. immigrants. They were focusing more on North Georgia though...towns like Gainesville, Cartersville, Dalton, etc...

^ Didn't even think about Aiken County--that place has always had a substantial Hispanic population. I actually read not too long ago about how Hispanic families in rural Georgia were being targeted by criminals---not as hate crimes per se, but more like, the criminals knew they were undocumented and that they probably didn't have checking accounts and thus kept their money hidden somewhere in their house--making them easy targets.

Outside of FL and NC, is there another state in the Southeast that has as substantial a Hispanic population as GA?

Pillsbury, I think 2 Mexicans were killed by gunshot somewhere in South Georgia not too long ago because the killers knew they kept lots of cash in their house. They broke in in the middle of the night.

I think Georgia has the highest population of Hispanics outside of Florida in the SE, with NC coming in close. I dont think Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi or Louisiana would even come close but all have a great deal more than they had ...say 10 years ago.

I am, however, surprised that the number is that low.

Let's keep in mind that the number in the link is probably only the amount of legal Hispanic immigrants. I once watched the WTOC news where they did a pretty in dept piece on the growing number in Garden City. The Police Dept. there estimated that there are probably between 8-11,000 illegal immigrants in Garden City.(and that's "just" garden City)

I'm pretty sure that Garden City has onlyabout 11-12,000 legal residents. It's possible that those other notable cities just have a far higher percentage of their hispanic population being legalized.

You're probably right. But the Census is supposed to count all residents, regardless of status. If you live in an area, you are supposed to be counted.

You can, however choose not to participate in the census, as many Hispanics do. Besides, even if everyone is "counted", I believe their personal info. may also be checked out. When the Census Beaurea submits the information to a certain source for info. and data, it could probably be amended so that only a partcular part of the population is counted. They may have excluded those persons who participated in the census, but were found to be undocumented.

The Census is required by law to include any and all persons that live in the United States. If someone chooses not to give all of the information they ask for (which is technically illegal) then they should still be counted in some form. The Census hires counters to go around and count people.

That doesn't meant that there hasn't been a population surge since then... that was 6 years ago, and they don't do the detailed population breakdowns every year with the updated estimates. It also doesn't mean the Census is 100% correct. It could be off a little, but it is generally regarded as accurate. I'd like to know how the police determined their numbers.

• 9 months later...

^ Very true. Augusta does have Aiken County. But unlike the SC side of Savannah River in Savannah, it's almost continuous development from downtown Augusta to Aiken. Contrast that with Savannah once you pass over the river.

• 5 weeks later...

Im saying 25 years. I do believe SE Georgia is going to start to experience Florida or Atlanta like growth pretty soon if it already isnt. I mean, look at that Liberty Harbor development going up in Brunswick as we speak. If very high rates of growth were not predicted I doubt very seriously a mega development with a dozen or so highrises wouldnt even be a pipedream. Im guessing Brunswick and the Islands will add alot of people but so will Savannah...since it is already a major city. Eventually, maybe within 2 decades, HHI and Savannah will be joined and then the Sav. area can "officially" add another 200,000K people to it.

Archived