Outer Banks, NC

TBurban

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's something magical about those islands.

When my old cam stopped working, we were on a ferry to Ocracoke Island and the sunset on Pamico Sound was the best I'd ever seen. It was so perfect, yet my camera refused to take a pic of it. Some other person on the boat had the same kind of camera I did and they were soaking it up! My friend told me, I'll always have the picture in my mind.

Are you going to hit the Frisco campgrounds?

Ive heard about that, arent they around Hatteras Island? Ive got a friend in Southern Shores, so Ill be in that area, Im pretty sure its closer to Corolla. But Im hoping to go see the lighthouse out there.

As usual, beautiful photography, Tommy.

Imagine! An ocean beach on the East Coast without a high rise in sight.

Is THE LOST COLONY still playing at the amphitheatre in Manteo?

Thanks, Burt :) And it sure is! I saw an advertisement for it on a billboard along Route 12.

Thanks guys :)

Hey Tommy,

I now find myself marooned in Salt Lake City, but I still have a cottage at Southern Shores which I rent in order to afford. At best, I get out there once a year. Your pictures really make me homesick.

Are you as worried about the unbridled development of the OBX as am I? Also, what is your opinion about the intractable delay regarding construction of the Mid-Currituck Bridge?

Hey Tommy,

I now find myself marooned in Salt Lake City, but I still have a cottage at Southern Shores which I rent in order to afford. At best, I get out there once a year. Your pictures really make me homesick.

Are you as worried about the unbridled development of the OBX as am I? Also, what is your opinion about the intractable delay regarding construction of the Mid-Currituck Bridge?

Having a place in the Outer banks is the way to go. I dont have a house down there, but friends with houses are pretty nice too :D

Im almost more worried about the rising ocean and oceanfront homes. We were driving up along the beach front road, and some of these homes on the beach had no dunes in front of them. It's wild to think that home on the opposite side of the road could be an oceanfront home within our lifetime. The beachfront roads will have to be relocated, and when these homes get pulled in by the ocean, they cant rebuild, the property just disappears and becomes beach. Its crazy to think what the Outer Banks will look like in 100 years.

Mentioning you have a house in Southern Shores, that area is going through some crazy redevelopment, have you got a chance to see that new Hilton Hotel? Lucky for you, Im going back this weekend, and this time to Southern Shores, where my other friend's house is. Ill be sure to take pictures of the town :thumbsup:

I wasnt quite informed fully about the Mid-Currituck Bridge, wasnt it something about widening it?

Having a place in the Outer banks is the way to go. I dont have a house down there, but friends with houses are pretty nice too :D

Im almost more worried about the rising ocean and oceanfront homes. We were driving up along the beach front road, and some of these homes on the beach had no dunes in front of them. It's wild to think that home on the opposite side of the road could be an oceanfront home within our lifetime. The beachfront roads will have to be relocated, and when these homes get pulled in by the ocean, they cant rebuild, the property just disappears and becomes beach. Its crazy to think what the Outer Banks will look like in 100 years.

Mentioning you have a house in Southern Shores, that area is going through some crazy redevelopment, have you got a chance to see that new Hilton Hotel? Lucky for you, Im going back this weekend, and this time to Southern Shores, where my other friend's house is. Ill be sure to take pictures of the town :thumbsup:

I wasnt quite informed fully about the Mid-Currituck Bridge, wasnt it something about widening it?

Check out a thread I started at the North Carolina forum entitled TIP Project R-2576, Mid-Currituck Bridge-OBX for details, then let me know of your thoughts. The last post was a couple of weeks ago.

My wife just got back from Southern shores and said that the Hilton was simply HUGE. Too, bad if she's correct, but take a photog and let me know.

We live just behind the "Semi-Oceanfront" homes on NC 12. They've been tearing down more traditional structures ("bulldozer specials" they are called) and replacing them with McMansions of sorts. The local building code restircts new homes there to 5 bedrooms, but many have twice that number The developers circumvent the code by callling the bedrooms by other names. What a joke.

Anyway, Frank Stick, OBX historian, artist and founder of Southern Shores would be dismayed, were he alive, at the lack of preservation, although I suppose that even he would concede that Southern Shores is comparatively unspoiled.

Have a great time at the OBX and be sure to eat some local seafood for me at Kelly's. Out here in the desert, I can only imagine what's running in the Gulf Stream.

Check out a thread I started at the North Carolina forum entitled TIP Project R-2576, Mid-Currituck Bridge-OBX for details, then let me know of your thoughts. The last post was a couple of weeks ago.

My wife just got back from Southern shores and said that the Hilton was simply HUGE. Too, bad if she's correct, but take a photog and let me know.

We live just behind the "Semi-Oceanfront" homes on NC 12. They've been tearing down more traditional structures ("bulldozer specials" they are called) and replacing them with McMansions of sorts. The local building code restircts new homes there to 5 bedrooms, but many have twice that number The developers circumvent the code by callling the bedrooms by other names. What a joke.

Anyway, Frank Stick, OBX historian, artist and founder of Southern Shores would be dismayed, were he alive, at the lack of preservation, although I suppose that even he would concede that Southern Shores is comparatively unspoiled.

Have a great time at the OBX and be sure to eat some local seafood for me at Kelly's. Out here in the desert, I can only imagine what's running in the Gulf Stream.

It is a shame to see all the original OBX homes getting torn down for these newer homes. One could only split the prices with other people to rent them these days.

Ill see if I can get more info. on the bridge project while Im down there.

Ill be sure to take tons of pictures of Southern Shores for ya :thumbsup: Your wife is right, the Hilton is huge! Thanks for recommending the restaurant, Ill have to check it out when Im down there :D

It is a shame to see all the original OBX homes getting torn down for these newer homes. One could only split the prices with other people to rent them these days.

Ill see if I can get more info. on the bridge project while Im down there.

Ill be sure to take tons of pictures of Southern Shores for ya :thumbsup: Your wife is right, the Hilton is huge! Thanks for recommending the restaurant, Ill have to check it out when Im down there :D

Kelly's is on the Croatan Highway (US 158) aka The Bypass, on the west side of the road, just after you enter Nags Head as you head South. It's more or less across the street from Slammin' Sammy's. Everybody has a favorite seafood restaurant, but I have never had anythong close to a bad meal there.

BTW, speaking of Sammy's, it's a shame that football season has yet to arrive. Sammy is from Philadelphia and his sports bar has multiple large screens expressly for watching the Pros on Sunday. As you might suspect, he's a huge Eagles fan. Since I grew up in Charotte, I'm a Panthers fan. Because of the way NC's roads were and are constructed (even with recent improvenments to US 64), it was and is generally much easier to go to SC beaches or to other NC beaches (from Morehead City to Wilmington) than to go to the OBX if one hails from Charlotte, the Triad and even the Triangle. For that reason, as you well know, most people at the OBX are from VA, with significant representation from Maryland and lesser numbers from other parts North. This understandably means that at the OBX, most people want to see someone other than the Panthers.

It's interesting for me to watch lots of 'Skins fans arrive, expecting to see their team prominently featured on one of the central TV screens, only to to become slack-jawed when they find lots of well-lubricated folks in green jerseys, in seats they had expected to occupy, singing "Fly Eagles Fly", off key, every time a player from the City of Brotherly Love makes a noteworthy catch. But the most fun is to watch when the Eagles and 'Skins are playing one another. I'll leave that scene to your imagination.

Bear in mind that I'm watching all of this from some remote corner, defending my 25" screen (along with five or six other die hards, all clustered around a table for four) from Steelers, Giants, Patriots, Browns and the ever present Cowboys fans who figure that their game ought to be viewable too... from my sorry excuse for a set.

Archived