FOX News Target Audience

Norm2

OK, so I saw a poster that we wee throwing away at work. It was apparently made for FOX and headline on the poster said "Target Audience" with an american flag in the background. In the forground was a group of white people with kids and adults. The adults were about middle aged or older while the kids were pretty toung, late elementary school I am guessing. What does this poster say about FOX News? I think that the whole thing is pretty racist, at least in my opinion. I took a picture of the poster.....I shall post it when I get home from work sometime tonight. Do you all agree with my opinion on this poster or do you all think that it was FOX being stupid and silly as it normally is?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say FOX is being thoughtless; the poster to me indicates "right-wing", which makes me question its reporting objectivity. I think that BET, Univision, etc. are great and they don't strike me as the least bit racist (from a white guy's perspective)- although I'd assume that someone of color might rightfully be offended by the FOX poster.

Well that poster would fit. It's just like the Republican Party. Put up a poster depicting Truth, Justice, and the American Way yet in reality appeal to the worst aspects of humanity. Lets see Fox 18 provides a daily dose of;

• 2 hours of Jerry Springer

• Two hours of Tyra Banks - when she isn't talking about herself, includes stuff on how to get away with cheating on your mate, how to find out if your spouse is cheating, etc.

• Two hours of Maury - Paternity and Lie Detector tests of cheating lovers

• Cheaters - Don't need to explain this one. LOL

• Mid Day lunch is ultra religious extremist Pat Robertson whose CBN news that reminds everyone that Islam is bad for the world, and how Gays are going to destroy America and liberals are going to kill our economy with such notions of global warming, crime prevention, etc. All while asking for donations.

• Sunday morning is much of the same.

• All of this is interspersed with adverts for ambulance chasing lawyers, phone companies for people with no credit ("is yo phone company giving you drama!"), places to rip off insurance, lovelines and dating services, etc

Oh and the actual news programming on this channel is loaded down with ex-beauty queens, and baseball jocks. But I guess that is ok as the only qualification to be an anchor these days is to look good on camera and be able to read a teleprompter. A few of them on that channel have a little trouble with the second part of that qualification, lol, but I guess they get by.

Here is the picture I took. Another cell phone picture haha.

The message is clear but I don't think anyone would question the demographics, tone, or intent of the Faux News Channel. The scary part is being proud of your demographic looking like zombies. Wait, that is how they act...at least the ones in my family.

Lets see Fox 18 provides a daily dose of;
  • 2 hours of Jerry Springer

• Two hours of Tyra Banks - when she isn't talking about herself, includes stuff on how to get away with cheating on your mate, how to find out if your spouse is cheating, etc.

• Two hours of Maury - Paternity and Lie Detector tests of cheating lovers

• Cheaters - Don't need to explain this one. LOL

• Mid Day lunch is ultra religious extremist Pat Robertson whose CBN news that reminds everyone that Islam is bad for the world, and how Gays are going to destroy America and liberals are going to kill our economy with such notions of global warming, crime prevention, etc. All while asking for donations.

• Sunday morning is much of the same.

• All of this is interspersed with adverts for ambulance chasing lawyers, phone companies for people with no credit ("is yo phone company giving you drama!"), places to rip off insurance, lovelines and dating services, etc

Oh and the actual news programming on this channel is loaded down with ex-beauty queens, and baseball jocks. But I guess that is ok as the only qualification to be an anchor these days is to look good on camera and be able to read a teleprompter. A few of them on that channel have a little trouble with the second part of that qualification, lol, but I guess they get by.

Man, you must have a ton a free time to be watching that much tv, lol

I only know that it was from FOX from what I was told. I had seen the FOX car in our parking lot pulling into work that day, so it made sense. I would think poster wold be more of an office thing at FOX, not something they would display publicly, ya know?

^ the same goes for me. I watch fox news instead of Clinton News Network :). To each his own my friends

Doesn't one really have to ask the following question:

Does a given network overtly view itself as "at war" with some philosophical or cultural point of view?

Regardless of what one might think of CNN, its journalists really stumble over one another to make a point of trying to appear to be objective. They may fail miserably at times or even most of the time, they may make the attempt only because of "conservative pressure", but they seem sincerely to believe that to attempt to report the news objectively is a duty.

One cannot imagine Fox even making such a claim or reacting with less than contempt in the face of "liberal pressure". Would not Fox proudly affirm that it is indeed "at war" in the sense noted above?

Fox is unabashedly apologetic for a particular political and cultural point of view. That's perfectly OK. Freedom of expression presupposes differing points of view. No law says that it's wrong to report from a vantage point, nor could it or should it.

At the same time, this sort of advocacy may or may not constitute "journalism", much less "news." It also makes the true polar comparison not one between Fox and CNN or Fox and NPR, but instead, between Fox and The Daily Show or Fox and The Colbert Report.

For those of us who view ourselves as centrist we wonder, with more than a little incredulity, just what is to be accomplished if the "war" is "won". Does anyone "win" if 51% of the people defeat the other 49% of their countrymen? At some point, one prays that separating personalities from problems and then, actively seeking to build a consensus to solve those problems will regain favor. God help us if it doesn't.

Regardless of what one might think of CNN, its journalists really stumble over one another to make a point of trying to appear to be objective. They may fail miserably at times or even most of the time, they may make the attempt only because of "conservative pressure", but they seem sincerely to believe that to attempt to report the news objectively is a duty.

I would suggest this is done to try and compete with Fox News, which now has much higher ratings. CNN made no attempt to do this when they were they only news channel around. That was when they were run by the centrist(liberal) Ted Turner.

I would suggest this is done to try and compete with Fox News, which now has much higher ratings. CNN made no attempt to do this when they were they only news channel around. That was when they were run by the centrist(liberal) Ted Turner.

CNN is doing quite well as FOX's reporting on the ratings is spin like everything else it reports on. See here. The devil is always in the details which is something that you will find very little of on Fox. (plenty of opinion reported as fact however)

Doesn't one really have to ask the following question:

Does a given network overtly view itself as "at war" with some philosophical or cultural point of view?

One cannot imagine Fox even making such a claim or reacting with less than contempt in the face of "liberal pressure". Would not Fox proudly affirm that it is indeed "at war" in the sense noted above?

Fox is unabashedly apologetic for a particular political and cultural point of view. That's perfectly OK. Freedom of expression presupposes differing points of view. No law says that it's wrong to report from a vantage point, nor could it or should it.

At the same time, this sort of advocacy may or may not constitute "journalism", much less "news." It also makes the true polar comparison not one between Fox and CNN or Fox and NPR, but instead, between Fox and The Daily Show or Fox and The Colbert Report.

For those of us who view ourselves as centrist we wonder, with more than a little incredulity, just what is to be accomplished if the "war" is "won". Does anyone "win" if 51% of the people defeat the other 49% of their countrymen? At some point, one prays that separating personalities from problems and then, actively seeking to build a consensus to solve those problems will regain favor. God help us if it doesn't.

well put, cybear. i agee with most of what you have stated. a couple of years ago i used to "balance" my news intake with a combination of CNN, FOX, and BBC (of course NPR). what i noticed was what you described about CNN - i will add that CNN comes off as a little watered down. i really started to feel like a fool watching FOX news and their hypnotic messages of "fair and balanced". this channel really is just slightly more moderate than the fanatical right 700 club news... imo, the main difference being that the 700 club isn't scared to say the name, jesus christ. alas, BBC is a great moderator between CNN and FOX news in the sense that if nothing else it's an outside look @ whats going on - without being anti-american. all in all, i agree with jon stewarts assessment that we are only given commentary from tools of both sides and that there is no "real" national debate. http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831?htv=12

if you are like me and sometimes get tired of all the party yay-yay... i will say that this past presidential debates between kerry and bush was great to watch b/c i watched them on CSPAN. i can't tell you how nice it was to hear the wheels of opinion, turning in my own mind... versus the party line opinion being shoved down my throat.

COURAGE...

My question is why all the national reporters on Fox, especially Fox & Friends, always seem so angry and bitter. There is always some rushed frenzy of talking filled with smirks between the hosts. If they are always so right why do they have to be angry about it?

As for the Clinton News Network -- how long will it take for "conservatives" to let go of their hatred for someone that has been out of power for 6 years? Wow -- give it up.

Archived