FOX News Target Audience

Norm2

My question is why all the national reporters on Fox, especially Fox & Friends, always seem so angry and bitter. There is always some rushed frenzy of talking filled with smirks between the hosts. If they are always so right why do they have to be angry about it?

anger/hatred attracts a passion that builds allegiance. anger is one of the easiest emotions to succumb to... from my experience and opinion, thats also why it's the weakest.

i learned this from sun-tzu and yoda.

:)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot bear to watch Fox News but respect other people who do watch it and feel just as committed to their set of beliefs even if they are diametrically opposite to my own. I plead guilty to being unashamedly uberliberal and quite partisan :ph34r: So I stick to CNN, NPR, and The New York Times. No more Koolaid needed here.I drink plenty :lol:

CNN is doing quite well as FOX's reporting on the ratings is spin like everything else it reports on. See here. The devil is always in the details which is something that you will find very little of on Fox. (plenty of opinion reported as fact however)

Metro.m, I just perused and really enjoyed the F.A.I.R. article to which you provided the link. I also noted that the numbers are, just as you sugested, different than often assumed. What really caught my attention was the data indicating that more people watch CNN, but for shorter time periods and that Fox viewers, though fewer in number, tend to hang around for awhile.

I am curious about what this means. Do CNN viewers just want an overview of what's going while sipping morning coffee and reading the paper? Do Fox fans listen longer in order to receive affirmation of their political viewpoints? Neither of these purely speculative explanations may be correct, but the stats are indeed curious.

CNN is doing quite well as FOX's reporting on the ratings is spin like everything else it reports on. See here. The devil is always in the details which is something that you will find very little of on Fox. (plenty of opinion reported as fact however)

While most here bash Fox for what they see a conservative bias, I must point out that the March 2004 article quoted is from FAIR, which is coming from the left. From Wikipedia: FAIR refers to itself as a "progressive group"[1]. It is described by Columbia Journalism Review as a liberal group.[Wikipedia

I also find it amusing that the admitted liberals get their news from CNN and NPR but don't see any bias there.

I think you should check out our topic on Wikipedia in the UrbanPlanet coffee house. They are not a reputable source of information.

The fact of the matter is that mainstream televised media in the USA is basically controlled by 6-7 different people and none of them have any interest in changing the status quo as related to corporate interests. FOX, CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC and even Public Television have all sold out to the corportations. The only differences are in the slants they use to drum up their ratings.

Real news programming and true journalism is tough to come by in the USA by design.

BTW, I suggest that you try participating in the rest of the topics in the Charlotte forum. You have 4 posts here and all of them in this topic which is headed downhill mostly at your doing. Not a good sign if you ask me.

While most here bash Fox for what they see a conservative bias, I must point out that the March 2004 article quoted is from FAIR, which is coming from the left. From Wikipedia: FAIR refers to itself as a "progressive group"[1]. It is described by Columbia Journalism Review as a liberal group.[Wikipedia

I also find it amusing that the admitted liberals get their news from CNN and NPR but don't see any bias there.

whats really amusing is the constant crying from the right how every media outlet is "liberal".

i posted earlier where i used to get my news from... now, it's pretty much just NPR (in the car) and ocassionally ABC world nightly news (i really liked elizabeth vargas). i like a good debate, but definently align more to the "left". i think NPR does a good job with a fair analysis... so my question to you, loanshark... what media outlet do you think does the best in avoiding political favoring?

btw, i tried air america for a little while... i just can't stomach it. its just a right wing doppleganger. fools abound, whenever there is no room for debate and the possibility for change.

*as for the FAIR article: it has been noted that wikipedia is not THE most reliable source for facts, but i'm sure that if anyone involved has a democrat within six degrees of seperation... it's got to be "liberal".

I don't know Cinco..I like Randi Rhodes on AA although I realize that she is the opposite side of the same coin. But its the left side of the coin so its ok :lol: I work from home so I listen to NPR all day pretty much. Columbia has an AA affiliate. It would be nice if Charlotte could too. Although I just don't think the listener base has enough liberals to support it. Yet. Columbia would not have one if not for USC's moderating influence and relatively diverse student population.

I think you should check out our topic on Wikipedia in the UrbanPlanet coffee house. They are not a reputable source of information.

Real news programming and true journalism is tough to come by in the USA by design.

BTW, I suggest that you try participating in the rest of the topics in the Charlotte forum. You have 4 posts here and all of them in this topic which is headed downhill mostly at your doing. Not a good sign if you ask me.

FAIR is progressive according to their own website url=http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=100]FAIR[/url

Perhaps I will post in othe topics. I enjoy reading some of the posts but usually don't feel the need to comment. It is good to see that everyone here is open minded and accepting of other view points.

FAIR is progressive according to their own website url=http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=100]FAIR[/url

Perhaps I will post in othe topics. I enjoy reading some of the posts but usually don't feel the need to comment. It is good to see that everyone here is open minded and accepting of other view points.

Hey Loanshark,

I intend no sarcasm here, nor do I seek to goad you.

I just read, at the NPR website, that the Jack Abramoff scandal has claimed another Republican - Ralph Reed, former head of the Christian Coalition and former Chairman of the Georgia Republican Party. Reed had sought the Republican nomination for Lieutenant Governor of Georgia. Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani came down to campaign for him, as did Zell Miller, former Democrat and former Governor of the State. It wasn't enough. Reed was defeated by a large margin in Tuesday's primary by a conservative State Senator, Casey Cagle. Cagle focused his efforts on Reed's connection with Abramoff, the convicted lobbyist, whose relationship with Reed is said to date to their days in the College Young Republicans.

Reed's image allegedly suffered when it was revealed that he received millions of dollars from Abramoff, albeit to lobby against various gambling initiatives in the South, because the money for this effort came from... no kiddin'... Abramoff's gaming clients. Needless to say, this played poorly with Reed's politico-religious base.

NPR had essentially no editorial comment.

My question to you, since I don't regularly watch Fox News, is what was the Fox take on this story? I'd sincerely like to hear that particular "other viewpoint " in this context.

My question to you, since I don't regularly watch Fox News, is what was the Fox take on this story? I'd sincerely like to hear that particular "other viewpoint " in this context.

Liberals tend to think Fox is just a mouthpiece for the right, while conservatives think NPR is left wing. I think both report the news fairly but are known for point of view talk show hosts such as Hannity and Terry Gross.

A far as how Fox reported the Reed defeat you should watch Fox sometime and determine for yourself if they cover the news with bias. I have not watched much news lately so I don't know what they said about it.

I did however go to the taping of NPR's "Wait, Wait ... don't tell me" last night, but that could start a whole new topic.

Do you think the right would find issue with someone from NPR becoming the spokesperson for a liberal or Democratic president? I personally feel that Snow moving from Fox to the actual White House says an awful lot...

Maybe I'm making too much of it, but it seems to me that it is quite a statement about how strong the alliances are between Fox and the administration.

If you want to know what is going on in American politics and with our foreign policy around the world with little varnish and more unbiased reporting, watch or read the BBC...news from outside the country about us is more accurate than what we produce.

Liberals tend to think Fox is just a mouthpiece for the right, while conservatives think NPR is left wing. I think both report the news fairly but are known for point of view talk show hosts such as Hannity and Terry Gross.

Of course a statement such as this is an attempt to add some legitimacy to Fox News and its viewers by placing it on the same level of National Public Radio, which simply isn't true. Also, people who watch Fox News identify themselves as "conservatives" and everyone else as "liberals", but in reality this definition is only used by conservatives. It's a clever attempt by this group to provide some equivalency to the population at large, which I would disagree with.

Since this topic has moved to another conservative vs liberal thread, I am moving it to the coffeehouse.

wow. to compare sean hannity to terry gross is truly ridiculous. hannity & colmes bills itself as a DEBATE talk show and makes no attempt to hide their political views. terry gross just interviews people. while i might venture to guess that ms. gross is a liberal... it would only be a guess. she does not flaunt her political colors and has a wide array of guests... todays were micky spillane (detective fiction writer) and ray price (country music legend). politics never came up. the comparisons between NPR and FOX news are weak @ best.

not so well played, jim...

I didn't watch the other day, but did FNC show anything about their demigod uttering a curse word? Or is that word now uncensored since it was said by the almighty? Made to be the word of the day in schools all across America... it's patriotic!

I didn't watch the other day, but did FNC show anything about their demigod uttering a curse word? Or is that word now uncensored since it was said by the almighty? Made to be the word of the day in schools all across America... it's patriotic!

In fact, it was shown on Fox.

Archived