Augusta Transportation Improvements

DaGABoyStinger

Here is some information I found on the Future of Metro Augusta's traffic, through 2030.

ARTS Long Range Transportation Plan (2005-2030)

This link will take you to the projects currently going on, to be completed by 2010.

ARTS Transportation Improvement Program

Some Noted Projects off both plans:

• I-20 Widening from 4 lanes to 6 lanes from Belair Rd. to Riverwatch Parkway

• I-20/I-520 (Bobby Jones Expy.) Interchange Flyover ramps

• Scott Nixon Memorial Drive grade separation (basically a bridge w/ on/off ramps almost like an expansion of Bobby Jones)

• I-20 @ Louisville Rd (Columbia County) New Interchange Ramps (by 2030)

• I-20 HOV lanes From Louisville Rd. to Riverwatch Parkway (by 2030)

:shok: (yeah, can't believe this one)

Some of SC's projects are listed also for Aiken and Edgefield Counties

• Palmetto Parkway (2008-2010 Completion)

• I-20 Widening from 4 lanes to 6 lanes from Savannah River to Bettis Academy Rd. (by 2030)

• No mention of HOV lanes here.

There are tons of others that would be nice to post as they come along. Or if there are other more smaller scale projects that need to be noted as well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, I have to vent: we're really overdue for all this stuff. For the life of me, I've never understood how all the other cities in Georgia seem to have these fantistic roads while Augusta always got the shaft. If Augusta were any other city in Georgia, I-20 would have been widened 20 years ago to 6 lanes, Bobby Jones would be at least 6 lanes all the way around it, etc and Fury's Ferry wouldn't have taken longer to complete than the Brooklyn Bridge.

Edited by Pillsbury

• 1 month later...

I thought I would post about this here instead of creating a new thread. What do you all think of them ending the city buses runing on Saturdays? I know a lot of people who have vistited here say that Augusta has one of the worse public transportation systems already but this will make it worse. I've never used the bus system here but I would hate to be someone who is depending on it. Here's an article.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would post about this here instead of creating a new thread. What do you all think of them ending the city buses runing on Saturdays? I know a lot of people who have vistited here say that Augusta has one of the worse public transportation systems already but this will make it worse. I've never used the bus system here but I would hate to be someone who is depending on it. Here's an article.

what happened to the interstate 3 and interstate 14 plans.....it would the atl traffic and bring more business to the area.

I know I"m a little late in responding, but I'm not sure what to think. Obviously the city loses money on its buses. I think a lot of cities lose money on their public tranpsortation though. I can understand the reasoning for discontinuing service, but I'm really think it's going to be rough on the people who are in a bad position anyway.

I thought this plan was suppose to eliminate the short merging lanes and the dual on and off merging. It looks to me that the eastbound I-20 is still going to have this poorly designed "cloverleaf", where the traffic from East I-20 going to North I-520 will still be merging against South I-520 going to East I-20

• 2 months later...

The Georgia DOT has reached a shortfall and has pushed several projects back. They created a website that details the projects that have been pushed back or are still on schedule for each county. Here are the main delays for the Augusta metro. The main projects that have been pushed back indefinitely in Richmond County are the widening of Windsor Spring Rd to Hephzibah and the widening of Wrightsboro Rd from Jimmie Dyess to Bobby Jones. The widening of Bobby Jones from Deans Bridge Rd to Gordon Hwy has been pushed back from 2009 to 2010.

In Columbia Co. several small Washington Rd projects like some bridgework and a widening near Pollards Corner have been delayed.

There were no major delays in Burke County.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Has alexander rd project to be widen almost done. The village of riverwatch & the new super kroger construction along with present washington, & riverwatch rd with their own sprawl will make this road a mess i hope it is atleast 3 lanes on each side. Now if they can just widen 520 deans bridge to gordon hwy, wrightsboro rd to grovetown, belair rd to jimmie dyess, & windsor spring to hephzibah before more growth happens in these areas making traffic worse.

• 3 weeks later...
Has alexander rd project to be widen almost done. The village of riverwatch & the new super kroger construction along with present washington, & riverwatch rd with their own sprawl will make this road a mess i hope it is atleast 3 lanes on each side. Now if they can just widen 520 deans bridge to gordon hwy, wrightsboro rd to grovetown, belair rd to jimmie dyess, & windsor spring to hephzibah before more growth happens in these areas making traffic worse.

I think I-3 & I-14 will get build this is a article on the interstates. The oppostion is in north ga but it only has a few votes so it shouldnt matter.

On May 17th, the U.S. Senate passed the Transportation Bill containing provisions to fund the feasibility study for the two interstates. Matt Sawhill, Senator Chambliss’s northeast Georgia regional representative, was quoted as saying that the project has "overwhelming statewide support." Sawhill pointed to "studies" that show that 80% of jobs are located within five miles of an interstate.

Indeed, many do support the idea of bringing an interstate through the Deep South. Among those who support the project are U.S. House Representative Lynn Westmorland (R-GA) who sits on the House Transportation Committee, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, (R- TN), former Majority Leader Trent Lott, (R-MS), Georgia State Development Commissioner Craig Lesser, Georgia Transportation Commissioner Harold Linnenkohl, Robert Morris representing the Georgia Ports Authority and Bill Hubbard, President of the Savannah Area Chamber of Commerce. Big industry also supports both interstate projects including Home Depot, Georgia Pacific, the Georgia Mining Association, the Knoxville based Goody’s Family Clothing Inc., and Sea Ray Boats Inc.

The Georgia State Legislature made their feelings clear in the 2006 budget that includes $100,000 to establish the Interstate Highway Development Association for the purpose of promoting both interstate projects. This position is clearly motivated by the argument that both I-3 and I-14 would ease traffic problems in and around Atlanta by rerouting truck traffic through the countryside.

Groups from north georgia are opposing the project, but backers of the interstate highway project are pushing hard with a target date for the President to sign legislation by August, and to begin construction within five years. Again according to State Congressman Jenkins, the Georgia delegation doesn’t really need the relatively few votes in north Georgia to get elected. They see themselves as serving the greater good of traffic-stressed Atlanta and regional development. Norwood’s Communications Director John Stone puts it this way, "Right now, there’s only a tiny group opposed," he said. "These folks have built retirement homes up there and want to lock themselves in as far as development."

The interstates seem to have alot of bi-partisian support which is almost shell shocking seemingly how democrats & republicans in ga cant agree on anything.

I know the small towns of waynesboro- burke county, lincolnton, sylvania- screven county, sandersville-jefferson county near augusta will definitely support this since it would put them on the map & make them truly become a surburb of augsuta. 520 will crush I-20 in terms of # of cars & traffic in the future with I-3, I-14, savannah river pkwy, & the fall line freeway running through it. The fall line freeway was 85% done by 2006 including all the route btw columbus & macon only portion left is from macon to sandersville to augusta. A article says the savannah river pkwy is substantially complete.

Edited by augga706