Augusta Transportation Improvements

DaGABoyStinger

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No... Savannah River Pkwy and the Fall Line Freeway are part of an older GDOT plan to link the 2nd tier metros with 4 lane, non-grade-separate highways. The premise was, IIRC, to enable the majority of Georgians to have reasonable 4-lane access to the interstate highway system... These are not interstate-grade roads, just standard surface roads.

Edited by Topher1

Savannah river pkwy is four phases, the firt phase in south richmond county starts at state road 88 in hephzibah & goes to county road 438 in burke county, Phase two covers the next six miles of Highway 25 in Burke County. Phase three which includes to Waynesboro Bypass to County Road 118 in Burke County. Phase four of the Highway 25 project finishes at County Road 16 in Jenkins County.

The I-20/520 interchange starts within the next few weeks the total cost is 192 million dollars to complete. They will widen lanes on I-20 from belair to wheeler rd even though its already 3 lanes on each side. I hope this means when you are coming to augusta it will be 4 or 5 lanes on each side at first then when you get more into the city btw 520 & riverwatch it will be 6 or 7 on each side.

• 3 months later...

A 50 million dollar project is set to begin this month along the already gridlocked I-20. This project is just one of many along I-20/520. Construction is going to be from warren rd to the canal in SC. I notice augusta may be on its way to have more hotels than any other mid size city. With all the construction on I-20 clearing trees, you can see all the previous hotels and new ones being built especially near riverwatch, washington, stevenscreek, & claussen.

Edited by augga706

• 2 months later...

St. sebastian downtown. The plan is to extend St.Sebastian way across the Augusta canal down to Reynolds Street. It also calls for an extension to Greene Street to Riverwatch Parkway. The stretch next to Enterprise Mill would become five lanes and lead to a new road and bridge connecting to Riverwatch.

2 years to complete. The cost is 45 million

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/12574441.html

Edited by augga706

Construction on 520 palmetto pkwy is going to hit high gear this month.

285519.jpg

285520.jpg

when the parkway is completed it should provide easy fast access to I-20 through North Augusta and ease the high trucking traffic on U.S. Highway 25.

done by July 31, 2009. six miles of new interstate, four interchanges and 13 new bridges.

The first picture looks pretty wide i wonder how many lanes.

Edited by augga706

• 4 weeks later...

Richmond county bridges start construction

a meeting between the Georgia Department of Transportation and Richmond County has been scheduled for the end of this month. The agenda will be to decide the future and fate of the Fifth Street Bridge.

Plans for a new bridge on Willis Foreman Road are in their final stages. Work on the new bridge should begin in July and take eight months to complete.

Edited by augga706

• 1 month later...

Traffic update in richmond, aiken, columbia

Closures on both the eastbound and westbound sides of Washington Road near I-20 will be conducted from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. while crews construct a wall under the bridge.

There will be various lane closures along Belair Road from I-20 to Washington Road while crews replace traffic signal poles between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.

A project to construct a new road in North Augusta could cause periodic lane closures at Bluff Avenue near U.S. Highway 25.

• 2 weeks later...

More Money For Palmetto Parkway In Aiken County

The South Carolina Department of Transportation set aside $28 million dollars to finish the second phase of the Palmetto Parkway project so it will be extended past US One to Interstate 20.

The money will also allow them to widen Clearwater Road from three to five lanes. The project manager says those improvements will give drivers easier access.

"It should make access in and out of North Augusta more accessible. Also for people traveling along I-20 it will bypass Augusta and North Augusta along the I-20 corridor," said Claude Ipock, Project Engineer.

finished by 2010.

Edited by augga706

• 3 weeks later...

520 extension project in North Augusta gets 28 more million dollars

the work extend Interstate 520 from U.S. Highway 1 up to Interstate 20, but workers also are widening other nearby roads and adding other amenities, such as a multi-use trail that will run parallel to I-520 from Atomic Road to Ascauga Lake Road. It's just going to take a bit longer now than originally planned.

With $18 million coming from the state infrastructure bank and $10 million from savings from other parts of the projects, the Palmetto Parkway's timetable expanded with its scope.

But with just an additional five months to do all the extra work the state has ordered, he said he's not as confident one part will be done by the new Dec. 31, 2009, deadline. The previous completion date was July 31, 2009.

The scope of the Palmetto Parkway has expanded and the deadline has been pushed back to Dec. 31, 2009. Major changes recently added:

- A multiuse path, costing $4 million

- Widening Clearwater Road to five lanes with curbing and gutters for about $6 million

- Widening U.S. Highway 25 and building a new bridge across Interstate 20, costing $17 million

Edited by augga706

Yeah, this is a really exciting project. I've been following this all my life. I can't wait till it's finally done. I did figure t would take a lot longer than expected, the first completion date was a bit underestimated, IMO. But it should definitely come to be a highway traveled by many on the SC side of the metro, and all over.

ATLANTA --- A $30.3 million transportation project announced this week as part of a package of state grants will make for better access to the Augusta Medical Center Complex, officials say.

The project, announced Tuesday, includes widening and other work on St. Sebastian Way between Olser Way and Reynolds Street and work on Greene Street between St. Sebastian Way and River Watch Parkway.

Six bridges are also part of the project, which is expected to be finished by July 31, 2010.

"The gateway project will improve mobility over the railroad and canal into the Augusta Medical Center Complex," Department of Transportation Commissioner Gena Abraham said in an agency news release.

The grant was part of $75 million in awards announced by the DOT.

Saint Sebastian way set to begin downtown

Edited by augga706

• 2 months later...

Traffic officials have built Richmond County's first roundabout on Scott Nixon Memorial Drive as part of a larger project to connect the road to Wheeler Road.

Mason McKnight Parkway, as the new road will be called, is currently under construction and will be the new thoroughfare for several commercial developments planned near the Richmond and Columbia County line. It will feed traffic to several new stores, including a 67,768-square-foot outdoor retailer called Gander Mountain and a 24,488-square-foot Northern Tool & Equipment.

Development in the area has also led traffic planners to consider extending the nearby Frontage Road to the roundabout on Scott Nixon Memorial Drive but plans are still being discussed, according to Steve Cassell, a Richmond County traffic engineer.

At least eight other locations have been discussed for roundabout intersections.

Mr. Cassell said he has been in talks with officials from the Medical College of Georgia and Paine College for a project near Druid Park Avenue and Laney-Walker Boulevard, he said.

Officials call new circle safest traffic option

498714.jpg

Crews have installed Richmond County's first roundabout intersection on Scott Nixon Memorial Drive. The roundabout is being billed as safer and more efficient for an area that will see commercial development.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...