East Memphis

northernbizzkit1

I was having a family dinner this week, and the discussion of East Memphis came up. We were talking about how it's becoming like a secondary downtown, and I was particularly interested when my mom's real estate friend brought up how where Quail Hollow dead ends by that plot of land where there is a silo, development of a tower and possibly a second are planned. Papers have been drawn for a tower that is around 15 stories to go up. Furthermore, she said that the Ridgeway Trace complex--if it goes through--has a CHANCE to hold one of the city's tallest towers because of mixed-use development. She said that the planners are trying to decide whether two have two mid-rise towers along with high-end shopping or just one high-rise.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope these towers get built. As being discussed in the Germantown thread, I'm skeptical anything over 4 stories will be build in the Germantown City limits so East Memphis is gonna benefit greatly. Hopefully railroad traffic will be rerouted around the city Article and light rail can use the right of way.

What going on with the Grandview?

I hope these towers get built. As being discussed in the Germantown thread, I'm skeptical anything over 4 stories will be build in the Germantown City limits so East Memphis is gonna benefit greatly. Hopefully railroad traffic will be rerouted around the city Article and light rail can use the right of way.

What going on with the Grandview?

Isn't the Grandview the one near the Regions HQ? I always get it confused with the Lexington (which I think is near the Racquet Club)...I drove by there about a month ago, and I really didn't pay attention. I just saw a big sign talking about it.

I am almost finished with "2nd" downtown drawing. One tower maybe to futuristic for Memphis but I went ahead and put it in. I wanted to give it color but i am excited to see what the fellow forummers think. My girl thinks I shouldn't post it because the designs are nice.. I kept in Clark Tower and Whitestation Tower with other 15 story highrises. Two of "fictional Memphis'" tallest towers are there. I hope the city goes in a double skyline direction. I hope those towers get built, adding another legit skyline to Memphis. That would make the already unique city more unique..

I am almost finished with "2nd" downtown drawing. One tower maybe to futuristic for Memphis but I went ahead and put it in. I wanted to give it color but i am excited to see what the fellow forummers think. My girl thinks I shouldn't post it because the designs are nice..

Copyright it :lol: People up top are probably lurking this forum for ideas :ph34r: I, for one, would like to see it.

Yeah, i was thinking that too. How long would it take for me to copyright it? I may put it up for a day and then take it off. :)

I don't want to get into the law of intellectual proeprty, but you don't need to do anything to technically copyright something. At least not on the federal level. Copyrights emerge on creation. The problem with a copyright is that the protection level is very weak, because you can't preclude anyone else from coming up with the same idea. You register trademarks and patents; on the hierarchy of protection, it's 1) patents, 2) trademarks, 3) copyrights. Patents preclude anyone else from coming up with the same idea for certain categories of ideas (usually products and processes, but there's a whole slew of stuff), even if it's an independent creation (i.e. if I came up with the Coke formula, and it's patented, I can't patent it, and I can't market it, even though I never got the formula from anyone else) for a term of I think the life of the inventor + 26 years. Copyrights don't preclude independent creation of the same idea. Even if you do register the copyright, the level of protection is very weak.

You could take the exact same photo that Ansel Adams took, and make posters out of it, and you wouldn't be violating his copyright. You just can't take his poster and call it your own. You probably can't make a poster similar in style (b/w on a white background with similar size borders) b/c it might be trademarked that style.

I don't know how you prevent someone from copying your original idea skyscrapers. I have a couple of skyscraper ideas, I'm not showing them to anyone. I mean, look at some of the old skyscrapers in Memphis. Smaller replicas of New York ones. No real prevention except humiliation at lack of inventiveness. Maybe you copyright it just to plant a flag on the mountain of the idea and say I was here first, but if someone makes a similar building by secretly using your idea but never copping to that fact and does something with it, copyright law provides little protection. Maybe trademark is the way to go. But you'd have to do some things outside the design phase to get a tm, I think.

Forgive the intrusion into the discussion, just wanted to raise a concern.

I am almost finished with "2nd" downtown drawing. One tower maybe to futuristic for Memphis but I went ahead and put it in. I wanted to give it color but i am excited to see what the fellow forummers think. My girl thinks I shouldn't post it because the designs are nice.. I kept in Clark Tower and Whitestation Tower with other 15 story highrises. Two of "fictional Memphis'" tallest towers are there. I hope the city goes in a double skyline direction. I hope those towers get built, adding another legit skyline to Memphis. That would make the already unique city more unique..

I want to see!! haha...

Yeah, i was thinking that too. How long would it take for me to copyright it? I may put it up for a day and then take it off. :)

Are you concerned that the drawing would be copied, or that the building design would be copied. If you're concerned that the drawing is going to get copied, post it here with instructions that should not be reprinted without permission. I wouldn't take it down after a day: the longer that it is up, the easier it is to prove that someone saw it and copied it.

You can also add a watermark to the image that will identify it as your own. here is a howto link: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop...pswatermark.htm

Clobber was almost right, but Trademarks and patents don't apply to artistic works, so copyright is your only choice. And the copyright was automatically created as soon as your pencil hit the paper.

Personally, I think that all good ideas that could help the city should be presented for all to see.

do you live in NYC or memphis?? j/w

I currently live in Murfreesboro for school. Me and some friends like to go to Memphis every summer, but I am in Memphis alot because my girlfriend is from Memphis. My first night in Memphis, I did not get home until 7 am.. I love to party in Memphis..

• 4 months later...

I saw on Eyewitness News last night where developers are converting the Oak Hall building across from Oak Court Mall into upscale condos. This is good news because the Oak Court area is really starting to show its age. Article should be in the MBJ soon. This could be a really cool area -- upscale with an urban twist.

• 1 month later...

The diff b/t Eudora Baptist and Kingsway Christian is that Kingsway Christian occupied much more land and didn't really contribute to the "urban character" of East Memphis. Plus Kingsway Christian's new facility out towards Dogwood is nice addition to boring Germantown.

The diff b/t Eudora Baptist and Kingsway Christian is that Kingsway Christian occupied much more land and didn't really contribute to the "urban character" of East Memphis. Plus Kingsway Christian's new facility out towards Dogwood is nice addition to boring Germantown.

Archived