East Memphis

northernbizzkit1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yeah, just when we're talking about how crime in Memphis would decrease if we had better schools and better morals in other forums, you go and post this comment............oh yeah less churches sure will help that out.......I think if more people went to church we wouldn't barely have any crime.......What is your problem idlewild? I know you're entitled to your opinion, but just about everything you post on here is ludicrous.........This is what America is coming to...no morals......Somebody that comes to the U.S. anymore would never know that America was founded on the principles of God......and yes I'm a christian and I could personly careless what you think of my comment.

Can we at least agree Schnucks and Home Depot snatched up the land that would've been best for a few complementary 25O-35Oft+ towers, symbolically emasculating the future of the office space powerhouse that is east memphis, and forever left us local skyscraper enthusiasts one less defense mechanism for nashville's superior downtown skyline :thumbsup:

Can we at least agree Schnucks and Home Depot snatched up the land that would've been best for a few complementary 25O-35Oft+ towers, symbolically emasculating the future of the office space powerhouse that is east memphis, and forever left us local skyscraper enthusiasts one less defense mechanism for nashville's superior downtown skyline :thumbsup:

I'm just curious if skyscrapers would fit in the East Memphis neighborhood. I can't see that the Memphis government would ever again approve the zoning. I think White Station Tower and Clark Tower were abberations that got done at a time when downtown was in decline. I'd love to see new stuff happen. I just can't see how it will. Didn't residents in the area near Paradiso fight recently to keep a tall building condo out. Isn't that what turned into the low rise apartment looking condos near the Raquet Club? And if it was going to happen, don't you think that IP had the perfect opportunity to build tall instead of their campus many building approach? Maybe the tall stuff is more likely to go downtown. Even then I can't see it happening. One Beale might be the only thing going and I'm not so sure that is going to happen yet. I hope. But still I wan tto see something concrete. While I hope a lot of development and growth can occur, I have my doubts. I think a truely iconic skyscraper could only be pulled off by a Fortune 500 - someone like FedEx. Yet they still chose to go out to the suburbs to build their campuses. where would you get the amount of tenents to fill a 50 story tower if not someone like FedEx? I has started a thread ealier to explore this topic. I'm hoping it will inspire people to give it some thought.

Oh yeah, just when we're talking about how crime in Memphis would decrease if we had better schools and better morals in other forums, you go and post this comment............oh yeah less churches sure will help that out.......I think if more people went to church we wouldn't barely have any crime.......What is your problem idlewild? I know you're entitled to your opinion, but just about everything you post on here is ludicrous.........This is what America is coming to...no morals......Somebody that comes to the U.S. anymore would never know that America was founded on the principles of God......and yes I'm a christian and I could personly careless what you think of my comment.

I'm just curious if skyscrapers would fit in the East Memphis neighborhood. I can't see that the Memphis government would ever again approve the zoning. I think White Station Tower and Clark Tower were abberations that got done at a time when downtown was in decline. I'd love to see new stuff happen. I just can't see how it will. Didn't residents in the area near Paradiso fight recently to keep a tall building condo out. Isn't that what turned into the low rise apartment looking condos near the Raquet Club? And if it was going to happen, don't you think that IP had the perfect opportunity to build tall instead of their campus many building approach? Maybe the tall stuff is more likely to go downtown. Even then I can't see it happening. One Beale might be the only thing going and I'm not so sure that is going to happen yet. I hope. But still I wan tto see something concrete. While I hope a lot of development and growth can occur, I have my doubts. I think a truely iconic skyscraper could only be pulled off by a Fortune 500 - someone like FedEx. Yet they still chose to go out to the suburbs to build their campuses. where would you get the amount of tenents to fill a 50 story tower if not someone like FedEx? I has started a thread ealier to explore this topic. I'm hoping it will inspire people to give it some thought.

Considering density, memphis has never been topped by nashville. Nashville's downtown has surface parking lots all over the downtown and they have a ways to go to fill in those gaps.

As for downtown memphis and more office development, if the condo trend keeps up like it is going right now there will have to be more office development come in the future. It seems as though downtown is turning into a good alternative to live in the city (I will include midtown too in this) and office development will go where the population is. If memphis becomes an easier place to travel in and light rail is effectively used in the future than I have no doubt that we could potentially be a smaller version of chicago. I don't believe that since downtown memphis is not in the center of memphis that office buildings won't every be located there again.

As the city progresses and we become more marketable again companies from other cities will want to invest in our city. Not saying this would ever happen, but what if our downtown kept growing, people kept moving back downtown and it turned into a financial hub of the south and Citigroup built a signature building in our downtown. It is probably not likely they would do it but who is to say another company couldn't do something along those lines.

Even though FedEx and International Paper didn't build downtown doesn't mean all is lost, we still have opportunity for other companies to build down there, and they just might not have an office in the city right now.

Downtown memphis is not dying, I think of it in a state of rebirth.

If I am not mistaken, isn't the plow foundation relocating their headquarters to the court square center? If true, I think this is a start in the right direction.

All Memphians, especially businesses, should boycott SunTrust as they are obviously no friend to the city and suck all the profits out. Everyone should bank with First Tennessee because they are the bedrock of this town. They reinforced their headquarters downtown, they buy the naming rights for public projects, they donate huge sums of money, and they finance urban projects.

fellowmann the only reason i said this was b/c church attendance has been declining for decades which will mean more empty churches and empty structures in the Memphis metro which will encourage more crime. Memphis already has more churches than gas stations, so if religion is the answer to crime then maybe we should build about 10,000 more for the city!

• 6 months later...

According to today's MBJ, overall vacancy in the E. Memphis office market is 10.2%, but in Class A office space, there's only 2% vacancy.

I've read that new product is brought online when occupancy is sustained above 96%, so it seems like East Memphis could be a candidate for a significant new project soon... :)

Archived