Kinda Sad...

northernbizzkit1

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long is the drive from Knoxville to Memphis? sorry...wondering because a friend is coming to town next week, and I've heard abour 5 different things...Mapquest has it at just under 6 hours...but that seems only possible if you're a NASCAR driver.

I was going to guess 5.5 hour. I've only driven from Chattanooga to Memphis, and I thought it was right at 5 hours (no stops straight through no diesel etc), but that was to Bartlett. Where you are going in Memphis is going to impact the time by at least a half an hour.

If you want to get a time that is really slow try maps.google.com, they seem to really underestimate the average speed.

How long is the drive from Knoxville to Memphis? sorry...wondering because a friend is coming to town next week, and I've heard abour 5 different things...Mapquest has it at just under 6 hours...but that seems only possible if you're a NASCAR driver.

I'm wondering if the 6 hours takes into account the time zone change (from east to west, that is). I would allow at least 3 hours from Knoxville to Nashville, and 3 1/2 from Nashville to Memphis (4, if there is traffic).

I'm wondering if the 6 hours takes into account the time zone change (from east to west, that is). I would allow at least 3 hours from Knoxville to Nashville, and 3 1/2 from Nashville to Memphis (4, if there is traffic).

i can do nashville to knoxville in a little under 2 1/2 hours (of course it's a tad above the legal speed limit) and can get to memphis around 3 hours. so i'd say around 5 - 51/2 hours depending on how brave you are to go up against the cocaine cowboys of the tennessee highway patrol.

i can do nashville to knoxville in a little under 2 1/2 hours (of course it's a tad above the legal speed limit) and can get to memphis around 3 hours. so i'd say around 5 - 51/2 hours depending on how brave you are to go up against the cocaine cowboys of the tennessee highway patrol.

Well, I was talking the safe and legal amount of time needed... not to mention allowing for potential traffic, having a snack or meal, and giving Mr. Bladder a break. :blush:

Well, I was talking the safe and legal amount of time needed... not to mention allowing for potential traffic, having a snack or meal, and giving Mr. Bladder a break. :blush:

hahaha...that reminds me of a while ago when I was meeting friends in Nashville for a concert and drove up with my parents...they went to sleep as i got on the interstate and a little under 3 hours later...we were in Nashville! Needless to say, I got in trouble... :(

Hey, you want a real story ? About this time 18 years ago, I had my mother drive me from here (Nashville) to St. Louis, MO for a Star Trek Convention (I was about 14 at the time). We were running a little late and I wanted to get there before dark. We left at noon and she floored it (egged on by me telling her that there were escaped convicts on the loose from the KY State Pen at Eddyville) without stopping clear into Illinois, and by the time we exited off to our motel across from Lambert Field in STL, it was just a wee bit past 3:30 or so (so you can do the math). -_-

Although it was humorous watching the looks of folks in sports cars as we passed them as if they were at a standstill in our "luxury sports car" (a 1986 Chevy Nova, a real gem of automotive humanity), what wasn't so funny is what happened when we got to our exit in STL. The temperatures were a record-high 105 (with matching humidity), and the car simply died when we got there (we barely got it the block over to a service station, only to discover they didn't "service" cars beyond gas - some foreign auto mechanic helped us out, but only after admonishing us to not drive the car above 45/50 MPH back home -- and it took us 8 hours to get back to Nashville a couple days later). :blink:

That poor ole car (which we had had barely a year) only lasted another year, when heading up to PA for vacation in '89, it died in Morristown (East TN) and my folks had to shell out to buy a new car on the spot. That was the most expensive vacation we ever went on... :shok:

It should take you about 5 1/2 hours at about an avg of 75 mph...that includes a small amount of time for heavier traffic volumes.

I know people at UT who make the trip in a shade under 5...but they're generally driving 90+.

It is offically 389 miles.It is all interstate and you have to facter in going through Nashville. That can either be a none issue or a major slow down. Unless you want a good view of the skyline of Nashville, take the 440 option and avoid a little of the conjestion.

Archived