Locations of Future Construction Sites

richyb83

Two City Plaza will be built in this parking lot next to City Plaza

cityplazaiyc1.jpg

Looking south at the end of Fourth Street behind those trees; at the 2nd traffic light, will be the New COURTHOUSE just to the left of the 10-story Governmental bldg. The New Courthouse will be located in the Municipal Bldg. parking lot and be about the same height as the Governmental bldg. To the front left, you will also see City Plaza; Two City Plaza will be in that parking lot.

futcourtsiteuq5.jpg

This parking lot along the riverfront will become the future home to the River Place Condo's, soon to be BR's 2nd tallest high-rise. Those power lines will be coming down next month. (Not shown; on the block to the right of the pic, the old Advocate Bldg. will be demolished)

futriverplaceam7.jpg

The fenced-off area on Fifth Street @ Laurel is where Laurel Tower will be located. Only about half the area is showing, I wanted to show where it will be located in reference to north Chase Tower on left.

img0186lp3.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question for you, man... do you know when RiverPlace is supposed to actually break ground?

Yall are very welcome. It was fun.

That's the $million dollar question right now Brian. I don't know why they have been so secretive ? I would expect groundbreaking at anytime. If it's not by the end of September, then who knows ? The last quarter ? This is still a "BIG GO", the developers have too much cash invested in it. Funny thing is the developer said 30-stories; but the sales consultant desk lady said "its' still the same design", which would mean 36-stories. And that's not counting the 3-stories of parking. I tend to believe the actual developer, is she clueless ? I hope she's right.

It started out being 23-stories; amidst the sucess changed to two condo's 27 & 17; then one at 36-stories. Since the hurricanes(18% increase construction $cost)... now 30-stories...who knows ??

Sorry to ramble.

I am anxious to see which one of these projects actually goes-up first ? I want to see all those cranes working away at the same time, this time next year; If we can borrow some of those cranes from Miami or Dubai ??

And of course, thanks to Richy for going out and taking these photos! :D They helped me out quite a bit as well as I really only knew where RiverPlace was going to go up.

BTW guys, look for my New Orleans version of this thread coming soon as well. :thumbsup:

know the ground breaking dates of any other projects?
It's really hard to say. I can only guess, since no official groundbreaking dates have been announced. I was thinking RiverPlace should begin by the end of the Summer ? Laurel Tower was hoping to breakground by Fall. They are still trying to work-out the $. Two City Plaza was to start by the final quarter of this year, maybe October ? The new Courthouse will begin probably sometime in early 07'.

Wish I could give you exact dates, I hope this helps.

And of course, thanks to Richy for going out and taking these photos! They helped me out quite a bit as well as I really only knew where RiverPlace was going to go up.

No problem Nate, it's the least I can do. You have already done so much for Baton Rouge. I appreciate it.

Third Street @ Main. Kress, Levy & Welch Bldgs. Nearly demolished in 2003, these abandoned buildings will be converted into a multi-story, mixed-use of retail, commercial and residential on top. Construction should begin by the end of 06'. The exterior will be kept in tact and add another floor; making it 4-stories. 8-stories was mentioned, but it was scaled back.

img0169pm0.jpg

Third Street @ Main. Kress, Levy & Welch Bldgs. Nearly demolished in 2003, these abandoned buildings will be converted into a multi-story, mixed-use of retail, commercial and residential on top. Construction should begin by the end of 06'. The exterior will be kept in tact and add another floor; making it 4-stories. 8-stories was mentioned, but it was scaled back.

img0169pm0.jpg

Very pretty buildings... it would have been a shame to see them demolished.

Thanks yall.

The building has historical signifigance too. It's where blacks were denied the right to be served to eat at the diner's countertop. I think they will have a small exibit with the countertop as a symbol.

I thought it sort of looked like a building where something like that could've taken place, especially the first floor. I hope they do have a small exhibit for that event. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

The old Avocate Building

Currently being gutted inside; to be demolished later this year.

Prime riverfront property a block north of future RiverPlace.

A nice mixed-use multi-storied development will best serve this site.

BR Business Report says a "signature building" should be built.

*Pardon the pic taken from the inside of my car. As drops began to hit the windshield before a lightning storm.

oldadvocateig1.jpg

Prime riverfront property a block north of future RiverPlace.

I wonder when Riverplace will finally start going up. I guess that's the million dollar qustion. I bet they are probably waiting to see if this will be a quiet hurricane season or not, but if they sit around waiting for things to happen it will never get done.

BR Business Report says a "signature building" should be built.

oldadvocateig1.jpg

When they say "should" do they mean it would be a good idea or that it probably will happen. If they did put a signature building there, it would probably be 800-1000ft tall. I seems everyone is trying to cash in on those numbers.

We can always dream I guess. But I do not ever see BR building a high-rise anything close to 800-1000ft.tall. I really wonder if anything will ever be built taller than the State Capitol ? There is no height ordinance. There had been some confusion, so I asked the Advocate and they cleared it up for me on June 28th. There is NO height ordinance. Don't get me wrong, the StateCapitol is spectacular, but BR can be more than that just the Capitol. Alot of people do not want something taller than the State Capitol bec. it will spoil the views. NOT TRUE. The grounds at the capitol act as a great buffer zone.

I wonder how many U.S cities have a skyscraper 800' or taller ? 12-15??

We can always dream I guess. But I do not ever see BR building a high-rise anything close to 800-1000ft.tall. I really wonder if anything will ever be built taller than the State Capitol ? There is no height ordinance. There had been some confusion, so I asked the Advocate and they cleared it up for me on June 28th. There is NO height ordinance. Don't get me wrong, the StateCapitol is spectacular, but BR can be more than that just the Capitol. Alot of people do not want something taller than the State Capitol bec. it will spoil the views. NOT TRUE. The grounds at the capitol act as a great buffer zone.

I wonder how many U.S cities have a skyscraper 800' or taller ? 12-15??

It's ignorant to limit height to that of the Capitol building. Imagine if there were buildings taller and the views you could get of the Capitol from them. Besides like you said, the grounds alone provide a buffer zone. Nothing would encroach, so walking around the Capitol would still make for good viewing. Adding taller buildings to that mix would make it more inviting, IMO.

Thanks Brian. Being the urban enthusiast you are you have some really great imput. Not that many people think like us.

I talked to the Downtown Development director about a month before the question in the newspaper was answered. I told him about the capitol grounds acting as a buffer. He used some of the same exact lines to answer in the paper. The Advocate asked three different sources to clarify the ordinance issue. I understand the conventional Capitols,esp. Atlanta's; Austin's State Capitol Bldgs. would get swallowed up in the CBD. That's just not BR's case with a 450'ft. tower + large enough buffer zone.

• 4 weeks later...

The old Advocate Building being gutted last week.

They started tearing-it-down today.

The block north of (next to) RiverPlace; RiverPlace is the vacant lot in front.

downtown075pz6.jpg

I think a nice multi-story mixed-use signature building hopefully will happen at this location.

Those power-lines are about to come-down too.

• 2 weeks later...

The Jumonville warehouse (on Lafayette Street across the street from Hilton Capitol Centre)

was purchased by Trahan Architects; plans are to retain the warehouse's existing brick exterior

but expand the structure vertically. The building would have retail, restaurant or artist spaces

at street level, Trahan's offices above and condos or more offices spaces on top.

downtown077sw3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Jumonville warehouse (on Lafayette Street across the street from Hilton Capitol Centre)

was purchased by Trahan Architects; plans are to retain the warehouse's existing brick exterior

but expand the structure vertically. The building would have retail, restaurant or artist spaces

at street level, Trahan's offices above and condos or more offices spaces on top.

downtown077sw3.jpg

Something needs to be done with this yesterday. It is right across the street from the Hilton.

Anyone notice the new PJ's coffee shop behind Capitol City grill?

Yeah brresident, I would have thought that this too would have begun construction. Trahan architects will do a nice job on this. What an eye-sore for the Hilton Capitol Center to view this across the street. The Hotel King next-door will start renovation on it's 94-room boutique in early 07'; that should be a nice compliment to the Hilton.

PJ Cofee House/Capitol City Grill is really nice; what a great idea adding that with the Shaw Arts Center.

Archived