Locations of Future Construction Sites

richyb83

I only got a partial shot of the parking lot to the left; for the future location of the proposed 19th Judicial New Courthouse. I wanted to show where it was in reference to the Governmental Bldg. to the right.

The New Courthouse will on the bordering blocks of St.Ferdinand/St.Louis/North Blvd. in the

Municipal Bldg. parking lot. And over 300,000 sq.ft.

The price tag has risen again from $85mil. to approx.$100mil.

There will be a one or two floor increase from the original design

making it 10-11 stories. Groundbreaking should begin in early 07'.

The New Courthouse will be on a direct axis with the State Capitol

on the opposite side of Fourth Street.

courthousexq3.jpg

The New Courthouse will be at least as tall as the Governmental Bldg.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure which thread to post this in, but there's an article in today's Shreveport Times about the Fieldhouse Condos being built in Baton Rouge.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../611180369/1064

I've seen these mentioned on here before and they're extremely impressive. Looks JUST LIKE the French Quarter, and I hope in the end they're able to truly replicate that look as the renderings show it. It's awesome!

Thanks very much for posting this Brian. Maybe BR will do an article like this, Shreveport Times did a nice job. The building boom continues strong all around the LSU campus. This week I plan to take plenty of pics in and around LSU.

Southgate Towers is just starting on their 10-story condo; I guess the 18-story tower is next??

The Crescent at University Lake has just about finished the 5th floor; It's going to be nice at that great location!

The Northgate's at LSU is under a complete transformation.

I also need to get some progression pics of Perkins Rowe in SE BR.

Those Fieldhouses are going up fast.Last time I saw them they were only 2 stories. The Southgate Tower complex is going to be HUGE. When I saw them for the first time I was overwhelmed because they were just so big,8+ 10 + 18 and a 6 story hotel its going to quite impressive.

BR Business Report said preliminary talks had started on a 25-30 story mixed-use high-rise tower. Office space would be occupied by some regional players including; Baton Rouge Area Foundation(BRAF) has already outgrown their new building; BR Area Chamber; Commercial Properties Development Corp.; etc others. Parking garage w/ retail, restuarant; health club on lower levels; office; the condo's on the top.

No one has come out and said it, but this could probably be an offset to the Laurel Tower that's unofficially on hold. This will be a nicer taller version of Laurel Tower? I can't wait to see. All the right people are involved, it's been said this is prime riverfront property that would be best used multi-storied. The term "Signature" bldg. has also been used.

BR Business Report said preliminary talks had started on a 25-30 story mixed-use high-rise tower. Office space would be occupied by some regional players including; Baton Rouge Area Foundation(BRAF) has already outgrown their new building; BR Area Chamber; Commercial Properties Development Corp.; etc others. Parking garage w/ retail, restuarant; health club on lower levels; office; the condo's on the top.

No one has come out and said it, but this could probably be an offset to the Laurel Tower that's unofficially on hold. This will be a nicer taller version of Laurel Tower? I can't wait to see. All the right people are involved, it's been said this is prime riverfront property that would be best used multi-storied. The term "Signature" bldg. has also been used.

RiverPlace is already going to be a signature building... do you think someone might possibly try and top it already? That would be so impressive.

• 2 months later...

Building demolition to make way for amphitheatre; the "final piece" of the Capitol complex construction program that is $373 million in cost so far.

Pre-demolition work has begun inside the A.Z. Young Building, the former home to the state welfare agency built back in 1954. The building located on Lafayette and Third Street is expected to be gone by early July. The next step is landscaping, walks and constrution of an outdoor amphitheatre on the property next to the new State Visitors Center. This will be the last (4th major downtown state bldg.)demolition in a decade-long redevelopment plan for the Capitol Complex. No explosives will be used since it will be only several feet from the state visitors center

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/6008351.html

buildingdemo022307eo9.jpg

amphitheateryb5.jpg

This could have gone on any number of BR threads. It has been said many times we have the prettiest Capitol Complex in the nation because of the cohesive design, the same modern "deco" style. This should be a nice addition for festivals and meeting places with ample greenspace.

*Down Lafayette Street about a block from the A.Z. Young Bldg. construction is under way on another state-financed 400-car parking structure that should be complete by mid-November.

This is the building where the entire downtown block on North Blvd. that was purchased by a group; including Trahan Architects

This building will be demolished once the lease run's out at the end of the year. It will make way for a mixed-use of commercial/retail and residential. No details as of yet.

*The article was posted by Byrde; BR Growth & Development on Feb 1st

feb07004wn9.jpg

This is the building where the entire downtown block on North Blvd. that was purchased by a group; including Trahan Architects

This building will be demolished once the lease run's out at the end of the year. It will make way for a mixed-use of commercial/retail and residential. No details as of yet.

*The article was posted by Byrde; BR Growth & Development on Feb 1st

feb07004wn9.jpg

I know that building. It's like two bocks from City Plaza (or whatever that place is called). It backs up to Convention street

That is a great location for a mixed use...maybe even a Hotel. Its walking distance to the area by the shaw center, which is alive and kicking well past most folk's bedtimes, and only a block or two away from the federal courthouse. It's closer to the 110 freeway and some residential areas.

A hotel with a trendy club at the top level with a restarant on the street would give downtown a third night time bright spot.

It's weird....5 years go BR had nothing downtown except for the Catfish Town/Shereton area. Now they have the Hilton- Shaw Center area which is filled with trendy people almost every night...while it's not my kind of people, I am glad that it's there. Very impressive. I don't think downtown ready for a towering residential building (more lofts are definately in demand, though) but I think another Hotel away from the River and closer to 110 would help a lot in the future. After that, maybe the North Blvd area will benefit from some private development dollars....maybe even an office building.

Anyone know the occupancy rate of downtown buildings? I am guessing it's pretty high (90% ore more) since they are building another city plaza.

A hotel with a trendy club at the top level with a restarant on the street would give downtown a third night time bright spot.

As Richy said, that would have been a great spot to put the W aloft hotel. It think dowtown needs some more budget orientated hotel, maybe one of the those Marriott offshot brands, BestWestern, or some type of Holiday Inn.

^^Hey Byrde, how many rooms do you think the hotel should have??

And just nearby I got a shot of this:

Formerly old Pelican Homestead Bldg.(others?) and most recently EBR Arts & Technology School that just closed down. Part of the North Blvd. Town Square proposed redevelopment.

* Bad News is Bob Dean purchased the building last week. He has held on to many properties in BR and the Hotel Bentley in Alexandria he sat on til it was almost demolished; thankfully Cytreniks purhased the Hotel Bentley, as well as four others in BR. Hopefully Dean won't sit on this too long and he will renovate this building into something nice. This is across the street from City Plaza and next to the propsed new Courthouse.

feb07009zn1.jpg

*You are right brresident...occupancy levels are around 95-97%. The LACAP Bldg. on Main Street should be opening this month?

^^Hey Byrde, how many rooms do you think the hotel should have??

And just nearby I got a shot of this:

Formerly old Pelican Homestead Bldg.(others?) and most recently EBR Arts & Technology School that just closed down. Part of the North Blvd. Town Square proposed redevelopment.

* Bad News is Bob Dean purchased the building last week. He has held on to many properties in BR and the Hotel Bentley in Alexandria he sat on til it was almost demolished; thankfully Cytreniks purhased the Hotel Bentley, as well as four others in BR. Hopefully Dean won't sit on this too long and he will renovate this building into something nice. This is across the street from City Plaza and next to the propsed new Courthouse.

*You are right brresident...occupancy levels are around 95-97%. The LACAP Bldg. on Main Street should be opening this month?

120 - 150 rooms. Nothing to big, but something that can be an alternative to The Hilton and The Sheraton downtown. As a business traveler myself, I don't really need all the bells and whistles of full service hotels like the two we have downtown.

I was disappointed when I read that Dean purchased the EBRATS building. You know he will just sit on it for years when he could sell it to someone that would but it back to good use. That location would make for a great hotel spot. Even better than the Baton Rouge bank location.

Hey Bryde, the Hotel King will open up next to the Hilton. It will be a 93 room boutique hotel. Would that be more along the lines of what you are talking about? I guess they have started working on it, I'm not completely sure?

Maybe someone will buy the EBRATS bldg. from old Dean. Hopefully Dean won't be to greedy in making a profit. He is way too secretive too. Dean is the "status quo" that has kept Baton Rouge lagging.

Hey Bryde, the Hotel King will open up next to the Hilton. It will be a 93 room boutique hotel. Would that be more along the lines of what you are talking about? I guess they have started working on it, I'm not completely sure?

Maybe someone will buy the EBRATS bldg. from old Dean. Hopefully Dean won't be to greedy in making a profit. He is way too secretive too. Dean is the "status quo" that has kept Baton Rouge lagging.

Have they announced what chain they will align the Hotel King with?

^^No, I have not heard of a hotel chain yet.

The old Richoux's and Parrott Beach will soon be transformed into a trendy club with 2nd level and roof-top terrace next to the retro Coca-Cola Sign.

Third Street @ Florida Street

feb07038yu4.jpg

This the building Nate took the pic of a few months back.

Thanks for the update, richyb. I'm looking forward to seeing this new club one-up Parrot Beach in class. Parrot Beach was always crowded the few times I went, but it felt like PB was focusing too much on attracting the Paris Hilton wannabees and the gelled-haired macho men that follow them around. This is BR not Miami. With all the progress on Third Street I just hope the new club is a little more appropriate and caters to more of a BR-specific clientele.

No prob bluff2085. That's funny stuff dude. One of the many reasons why I'm not into the club scene; I can only imagine :rolleyes: I'm not so sure if it won't be a repeat perfromance with the wannabe's.

I like seeing the progress happening along Third Street too. I hope they keep the place looking clean and throw bottles and trash where they are supposed to.

• 4 weeks later...

Dan you are the man, that looks great. Thanks for your hard work and being such a great benefit to the BR thread. :thumbsup: If it looks anything like that ; It will sure make a big difference in that area.

It may not be as tall as we would like(vertically challenged); but II City Plaza will still be a massive building! I might compare it in size/height to the new Galvez State Bldg. on North Street.

Archived