Relocating to Richmond

livinglife

I'm in my 40's and considering a move to Richmond next year. What would be a good reasonable priced location for me to live, work, make friends, socialize and be active? I'll also be looking for a job. I am a high school business/technology teacher. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in my 40's and considering a move to Richmond next year. What would be a good reasonable priced location for me to live, work, make friends, socialize and be active? I'll also be looking for a job. I am a high school business/technology teacher. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome, livinglife!

From where will you relocate? Are you male or female, married or single? Don't mean to be personal, but that data would help in suggesting an appropriate area.

Most of us on this forum are downtown devotees, but there are superb housing opportunities throughout the Metro Area. Since I am a Richmond expatriate now living in New York City, I'll leave it to others on this panel to help you further. :)

Welcome, livinglife!

From where will you relocate? Are you male or female, married or single? Don't mean to be personal, but that data would help in suggesting an appropriate area.

Most of us on this forum are downtown devotees, but there are superb housing opportunities throughout the Metro Area. Since I am a Richmond expatriate now living in New York City, I'll leave it to others on this panel to help you further. :)

I currently live in North Carolina. I'm female and separated. I also have 2 dogs so where I live needs to allow dogs. I would like to live in Richmond for a little while before I decide to buy anything. I would rather be closer to the hub of things.

Hey livinglife, what brings you to Richmond?

Anyways, a nice neighborhood near the hub of things is the Fan. I know that a lot of teachers call it home, many people have pets, and it's a nice place to live and socialize. I assume you'll be teaching once you get here; Chesterfield, Henrico and Richmond would be school systems to check out.

BGW works in education I believe, and may be able to make further suggestions.

Hey livinglife, what brings you to Richmond?

Anyways, a nice neighborhood near the hub of things is the Fan. I know that a lot of teachers call it home, many people have pets, and it's a nice place to live and socialize. I assume you'll be teaching once you get here; Chesterfield, Henrico and Richmond would be school systems to check out.

BGW works in education I believe, and may be able to make further suggestions.

And don't forget the excellent and burgeoning Hanover School system. You might want to check out the village of Ashland, 13 miles north of the city in Hanover. Residents call it "The Center of the Universe". It has an erudite population, is an easy commute to everywhere in the City and is the home of Randolph Macon College.

Your dogs would love it!

If you've ever taken a train to Washington and points north, you've been right thru Ashland's main street.

Hey livinglife!

You might also want to check out the Ginter Park/Bellvue neighborhoods in Richmond's northside. The homes tend to be a little more reasonably priced and will have more land for your dogs than the Fan. It is a little farther from the "hub" of things than the Fan from a pedestrian's point of view, but it is located at the intersection of the area's major highways and is only 15 minutes from most places you would want to go in the metro area.

As far as teaching goes, you might be interested to know that both Chesterfield and Henrico have math and science specialty programs at Clover Hill and Godwin High Schools respectively. Also, if you are looking to teach in Richmond City, my own former high school, Maggie Walker, is always looking for new, talented teachers. Maggie Walker (also known as the Governor's School) is a regional school specializing in (but not limited to) Government & International Studies.

Does anyone know of a good place where livinglife might want to live before buying a permanent home?

Hey livinglife!

You might also want to check out the Ginter Park/Bellvue neighborhoods in Richmond's northside. The homes tend to be a little more reasonably priced and will have more land for your dogs than the Fan. It is a little farther from the "hub" of things than the Fan from a pedestrian's point of view, but it is located at the intersection of the area's major highways and is only 15 minutes from most places you would want to go in the metro area.

As far as teaching goes, you might be interested to know that both Chesterfield and Henrico have math and science specialty programs at Clover Hill and Godwin High Schools respectively. Also, if you are looking to teach in Richmond City, my own former high school, Maggie Walker, is always looking for new, talented teachers. Maggie Walker (also known as the Governor's School) is a regional school specializing in (but not limited to) Government & International Studies.

Does anyone know of a good place where livinglife might want to live before buying a permanent home?

Everyone ... thank you for your ideas. As far a job goes, since I'm not moving until next year, I really won't start looking until then, but I appreciate all the advice and locations. Right now, I'm in research mode and will start visiting Richmond every month to get more familiar with the area.

And BE SURE to come up for the American Folk Music Festival on the downtown Riverfront October 13th, 14th and 15th! :)

PS. Ginterparkphoo's suggestions of residential in Bellevue and employment at Maggie Walker Governor's School are excellent.

PPS. How many of you know that Shirley McLaine and brother Warren Beatty grew up in Bellevue?

Everyone ... thank you for your ideas. As far a job goes, since I'm not moving until next year, I really won't start looking until then, but I appreciate all the advice and locations. Right now, I'm in research mode and will start visiting Richmond every month to get more familiar with the area.

Just a caveat: It's pretty easy to get a job with Richmond Public Schools, but it's a difficult place to work. That said, RPS could use some new, talented blood.

And since I haven't seen it mentioned before in this thread, I'm particularly smitten with the Westover Hills & Woodland Heights neighborhoods these days. If you end up w/ RPS, they're great choices.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to Virginia, wherever you end up, but let's see how I do...

Richmond and Norfolk aren't that far apart... it couldn't hurt to check them both out! Good luck and if you have any other questions, go for it!

I've also been considering moving to Richmond, I'm origanaly from Detroit. Although I've herd Richmond is suppose to be the murder capital of the US. Is this true? Is it a dangerous dead city? Is it like Detroit a dead and dangerous downtown but beautifull suburbs, or is it mixed with violence spreding into the suburbs? Or like Detroit is the violence primarily between gangs and not targeted at the public, or is it all just a myth?

I've also been considering moving to Richmond, I'm origanaly from Detroit. Although I've herd Richmond is suppose to be the murder capital of the US. Is this true? Is it a dangerous dead city? Is it like Detroit a dead and dangerous downtown but beautifull suburbs, or is it mixed with violence spreding into the suburbs? Or like Detroit is the violence primarily between gangs and not targeted at the public, or is it all just a myth?

It's mostly all a myth. There are murders in Richmond...mostly drug and gang related, but those crimes happen only in certain neighborhoods. Richmond's suburbs are great and are very safe. In fact, downtown Richmond is safe. Richmond is anything but dead. It is alive and growing leaps and bounds...unlike Detroit. Others on this forum can certainly elaborate more. Give Richmond a chance...it really is a good city! Check out some photos of Richmond on www.richmondcitywatch.com.

Richmond is, in my opinion, one of the best places to live in the country. Although it may have its problems like every city, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

1. We're not the murder capital.

2. Richmond has the typical black on black crime in the poor neighborhoods.

3. Downtown is pretty safe, but if anything happens there, the suburbanites look down their high and mighty, superior, noses and scream crime-infested, when it's not. I have walked all over downtown Richmond with no problems. I've never felt threatened. Now what we do need is the return of big retail and life to downtown and all that silly image would go away.

4. Richmond also suffers from skewed statistics since Virginia has independent cities and our stats are for the city only, not the counties or region like other metro areas. An area with a little over a million people that has about 70 murders isn't that bad compared to 190,000 people with 70.... Sure it'd be great to have none, but I'm not sure if cities this size and bigger can have 0... maybe in Utah...

5. The suburbs, like most suburbs, are all bastions of safety and they all look like Wisteria Lane (with the same type of activity going on in them, but they keep it hush hush). Oh and there's this mall here that is overhyped... built at an old crossroads, it's not turning into its own city that is championed by the majority of this board. Like every suburb in the US, ours aren't perfect, nor are they crime disaster areas.

6. Don't believe the hype, we're just like every other city. I feel safe everywhere I go, but I try to avoid the known bad areas. Like anywhere else, just be smart about where you go.

But then take it from me, I live in an area most suburbanites fear. I'm not going to sweep things under the rug like a lot of people tend to do. It is not as bad as they make it seem. You can ask me of the things I've seen that others may want to turn a blind eye to or hype when they may not really know what's going on. And no I am not trying to insult anyone.... :)

Eandslee sent you to Richmond City Watch for pictures when we've probably got better ones right here on this forum. Check out Richmond in Pictures II thread.

If you haven't been scared off by our house doomsayer, wood2coal, give the city a look. And a heartfelt welcome, should you decide to visit.

What doom Burt? I Answered his question. I think it was a positive answer. if it was doom, I would have lied and said we are the murder capital and said some scary stuff like this is where all the mass murderers go to college... please... I told him to not pay attention to the negative hype we get...

And no I am not trying to insult anyone

When you stuck to the facts and your description of Richmond, it was cool. But I find your personal side comments about myself and others quite insulting.

Wood2coal... good luck in your search. The best way to see if a city is right for you is to visit it. Click on a pdf in the richmond business/economy/real estate threat to see how our region's crime, as well as other statistics, compares to other metros.

i lived in the detroit area and, no contest, richmond is a much more pleasant place to live. crime is not an issue in most areas of the city, it's warm here (though too hot in the summer), and there are a lot of very nice neighborhoods in the city that are not too expensive. although, like detroit, the suburbs are well established and most people who live in the city still commute, the actual city of richmond is far more liveable than detroit.

Archived