Manchester makes the list

blink55184

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now on one hand that is great for Manchester and for Greater Hartford but on the other hand if Manchester is now considered a "city" we are going to need to redefine "city"

They call it a city so that it can be categorized on a national level. Other regions don't all have Towns like we do.

It is great news though, if nothing else as a marketing tool for Manchester which is good for the region.

Now on one hand that is great for Manchester and for Greater Hartford but on the other hand if Manchester is now considered a "city" we are going to need to redefine "city"

The term "city" is defined in many different ways. But, with a population approaching 60,000 Manchester could certainly be termed "city." Manchester's motto is City of Village Charm.

The term "city" is defined in many different ways. But, with a population approaching 60,000 Manchester could certainly be termed "city." Manchester's motto is City of Village Charm.

I believe Meriden and Southington are labeled cities too if I am not mistaken.

Would would have to happen, or what should be the defining point of a city?

Tall buildings?

I will admit- I was surfing CNN and the article and was very surprised to see my home"town" on there.

Tall buildings?

I will admit- I was surfing CNN and the article and was very surprised to see my home"town" on there.

It's a self defined term the way I understand it. East Haven and West Haven are both cities because they choose to be and at some point voted to become one I think. New London, pop. 25,000 is a city while West Hartford, East Hartford and Manchester pops. all in the range of 55,000 to 65,000 are all incorporated as towns. All Manchester has to do is hold a referendum asking citizens to vote to incorporate as the City of Manchester. I'm not exactly sure what it would change, however I know there are legal differences here in CT in regards to how cities and towns shall govern themselves.

Tall buildings?

Meriden I can understand, Southington seems to be a pretty rural town, although Queen Street seems to be bustling a lot these days.

Meriden I can understand, Southington seems to be a pretty rural town, although Queen Street seems to be bustling a lot these days.

From Wikepedia:

Connecticut

Put into terms that are equivalent to the other New England states, Connecticut contains 19 incorporated cities and 150 incorporated towns. Collectively, these 169 municipalities cover the entire state; there is no unincorporated territory. (As discussed in Section 2.2.3 of this article, the relationship between towns and cities in Connecticut is different from the other New England states, at least on paper; thus, technically, all 169 of the above municipalities are really towns, with 19 overlaid by a coextensive city of the same name).

Connecticut is one of two New England states to have any type of incorporated general-purpose municipality below the town level, namely incorporated boroughs. There are about 10 in the state. They were once somewhat more numerous, and many of those that remain are very small. Connecticut also has one remaining city that is within, but not coextensive with, its parent town (Groton).

The largest municipality in Connecticut, by population, is the city of Bridgeport (pop. 139,529).

The largest which is a town and not a city is West Hartford (pop. 63,589).

The smallest which is a city and not a town, only including cities which are coextensive with their towns, is Derby (pop. 12,391); the city-within-a-town of Groton is however smaller (pop. 10,010).

The smallest town is Union (pop. 693).

The largest municipality by land area is the town of New Milford (61 square miles).

The smallest town-level municipality is Derby (4.98 square miles).

New England Towns

So, what any of the towns in CT must do to become a city is to incorperate a city which is coextensive with the town and become a city. CT has to be different I guess.

I wonder what all 19 "cities" are....

1.Hartford

2.New Haven

3.Manchester

4.New Britain

5.New London

6.Stamford

7.Meriden

8.Southington

9.Norwich

10.Bridgeport

11.Danbury

12..........I dont know after that...

Milford?

As for those "boroughs"..

Broadbrook is in East Windsor

Rockville is in Vernon

I'm pretty sure Danielson is part of Killingly, and Brooklyn is part of Danielson

I wonder what all 19 "cities" are....

1.Hartford

2.New Haven

3.Manchester

4.New Britain

5.New London

6.Stamford

7.Meriden

8.Southington

9.Norwich

10.Bridgeport

11.Danbury

12..........I dont know after that...

Milford?

As for those "boroughs"..

Broadbrook is in East Windsor

Rockville is in Vernon

I'm pretty sure Danielson is part of Killingly, and Brooklyn is part of Danielson

12. Middletown

13. East Haven

14. West Haven

15. Norwalk

16. Derby

17. Groton

18. Willimantic

I'm stuck on 19.....

1.Hartford

2. New Haven

3. Waterbury

4. New Britain

5. New London

6. Stamford

7. Meriden

8. Bristol

9. Norwich

10. Bridgeport

11. Danbury

12. Middletown

13. East Haven

14. West Haven

15. Norwalk

16. Derby

17. Torrington

18. Groton/Willimantic????

19. Milford

I think this is all of them.

(I am still not sure about Groton or Willimantic, one of them has to be it though. I'm leaning towards the city of Groton, even though it's a subdivision within the town of Groton.

Danielson is part of the Town of Killingly, however Brooklyn is its own town. It is hard to tell because the main drag on Rt. 6 with all the retail is considered Danielson but is inside Brooklyn the town line.

I don't believe Willimantic is considered a city anymore. Back in the 1980's Willimantic was considered a separate city but shared everything with the Town of Windham. They were always hand and hand but then Willimantic was fully integrated into Windham during this time and that

Danielson is part of the Town of Killingly, however Brooklyn is its own town. It is hard to tell because the main drag on Rt. 6 with all the retail is considered Danielson but is inside Brooklyn the town line.

It is confusing over there.

My brother is on the Brooklyn town council, and looking at a map, his house is in Brooklyn. However mail will not get to him unless you put Danielson as the town.

I always thought it was ridiculous to have certain parts of a town be this or that. For example, I live in Berlin, and there seems to be some people that think it's better to live in Kensington, which is a section. Now, there is no Kensington Town Hall, no Kensington High School, no Kensington Police Department, so it's all really the town of Berlin, but people love to be elitist. Farmington/Devonwood, same thing. Last I checked, Devonwood was a housing development, not a designation, but those people would DIE if they said they were from Farmington. I used to work out of Bridgeport, and I'd get jobs in Fairfield from time to time. Heaven forbid I mention to someone that they live in Fairfield instead of Southport. Screw eleitists, that's why we are in the shape we're in, exclusion instead of inclusion....

I always thought it was ridiculous to have certain parts of a town be this or that. For example, I live in Berlin, and there seems to be some people that think it's better to live in Kensington, which is a section. Now, there is no Kensington Town Hall, no Kensington High School, no Kensington Police Department, so it's all really the town of Berlin, but people love to be elitist. Farmington/Devonwood, same thing. Last I checked, Devonwood was a housing development, not a designation, but those people would DIE if they said they were from Farmington. I used to work out of Bridgeport, and I'd get jobs in Fairfield from time to time. Heaven forbid I mention to someone that they live in Fairfield instead of Southport. Screw eleitists, that's why we are in the shape we're in, exclusion instead of inclusion....

Preach on, Brother!!!

But, at the same time, a town/section doesnt have to have its own public services/police/fire/town hall to be its own entity. Alot of towns in CT do not have police departments, etc.

But, at the same time, a town/section doesnt have to have its own public services/police/fire/town hall to be its own entity. Alot of towns in CT do not have police departments, etc.

True, I don't think that's really his point. The problem is the elitism associated with some sections of certain towns (which are already affluent anyway) where the rich people think they are better than the almost or not quite as-rich people who live in other parts of the town.

A lot of those towns pay for a resident state trooper.

Archived