Manchester makes the list

blink55184

I always thought it was ridiculous to have certain parts of a town be this or that. For example, I live in Berlin, and there seems to be some people that think it's better to live in Kensington, which is a section. Now, there is no Kensington Town Hall, no Kensington High School, no Kensington Police Department, so it's all really the town of Berlin, but people love to be elitist. Farmington/Devonwood, same thing. Last I checked, Devonwood was a housing development, not a designation, but those people would DIE if they said they were from Farmington. I used to work out of Bridgeport, and I'd get jobs in Fairfield from time to time. Heaven forbid I mention to someone that they live in Fairfield instead of Southport. Screw eleitists, that's why we are in the shape we're in, exclusion instead of inclusion....

I'm with you on this. West Hartford has some of the same with Elmood often being looked down upon by the other side of town. I heard a story once that a friend of mine went to dinner at a family's house whose kids went to Hall High School. When, in the conversation, the subject of Conard High (the High School which serves Elmwood) came up, the kids who went to Hall claimed that Conard was the Elmwood High School, not a West Hartford High School. They didn't know that Elmood was a part of West Hartford!! I didn't see how this could possibly be true. Growing up in WH, EVERYONE knows about the Hall/Conard crosstown thing...but, my friend swears by it. Of course, most people are not this ignorant, and on the whole, I like West Hartford. But come on people!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the State of Connecticut, there are currently 21 cities and 9 boroughs. This information can be found in the State Register and Manual -- an annual publication released by the Secretary of State that provides a wealth of data on each municipality.

http://www.sots.ct.gov/RegisterManual/regman.htm

Cities:

Ansonia

Bridgeport

Bristol

Danbury

Derby

Groton

Hartford

Meriden

Middletown

Milford

New Britain

New Haven

New London

Norwalk

Norwich

Shelton

Stamford

Torrington

Waterbury

West Haven

Winsted (co-extensive with the Town of Winchester)

Boroughs

Bantam (Litchfield)

Danielson (Killingly)

Fenwick (Old Saybrook)

Jewett City (Griswold)

Litchfield

Naugatuck

Newtown

Stonington

Woodmont (Milford)

Furthermore, Rockville and Willimantic were formerly incorporated cities before merging with the Towns of Vernon and Windham respectively.

I assume Manchester remains a town -- at least for now.

According to the State of Connecticut, there are currently 21 cities and 8 boroughs. This information can be found in the State Register and Manual -- an annual publication released by the Secretary of State that provides a wealth of data on each municipality.

http://www.sots.ct.gov/RegisterManual/regman.htm

Cities:

Ansonia

Bridgeport

Bristol

Danbury

Derby

Groton

Hartford

Meriden

Middletown

Milford

New Britain

New Haven

New London

Norwalk

Norwich

Shelton

Stamford

Torrington

Waterbury

West Haven

Winsted (co-extensive with the Town of Winchester)

Boroughs

Bantam (Litchfield)

Danielson (Killingly)

Fenwick (Old Saybrook)

Jewett City (Griswold)

Litchfield

Naugatuck

Newtown

Stonington

Woodmont (Milford)

Furthermore, Rockville and Willimantic were formerly incorporated cities before merging with the Towns of Vernon and Windham respectively.

I assume Manchester remains a town -- at least for now.

Am I the only one who finds this one bizarre?

Winsted (co-extensive with the Town of Winchester) Talk about confusing. :blink: You gotta love CT though!

I always enjoy trying to explain these confusing types of political jurisdictions to people from outside New England (assuming I can overcome the confusion myself!). Most folks cannot get over the fact that Conn. has no present county level of government.

I thought Rockville being a part of Vernon would be one of the major ones! Guess they merged...

And no Broadbrook as a part of East Windsor? Odd.

milford is definitely a city... willimantic is actually a part of windham i believe.

cities aren't defined by size or population, but rather their charter or something like that. newport, RI is a city of just over 30k. my hometown of branford, CT is a town of about 30k, probably similar size in land area too.

just something to think about. i was looking at the list of cities and town in MA... talk about amusing. some cities have under 10k if i remember correctly.

for these lists like the one manchester is on, city just means anything... city, town, etc. barrington, RI used to be on that list (no idea why it's not anymore, probably affordability) and it's certainly not a city.

Am I the only one who finds this one bizarre?

Winsted (co-extensive with the Town of Winchester) Talk about confusing. :blink: You gotta love CT though!

I was actually up in Winchester last week, and I also found that funny. I believe Winsted is a borough of the town of Winchester, CT.

Archived