Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smeagolsfree

Core Development adding Apartments in Germantown

21 posts in this topic

From the NBJ this week.

Core Development, also doing Werthan Lofts has announced a new apartment complex in the same area. As DT continues to stretch to the south and the west, the north is not forgotten. I think there will be more growth in this area in the next couple of years as it has not even come close to the potential that lies there.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville.../17/story3.html

This IS good news. I'm glad to see more momentum for the Germantown area. I was afraid the development might shift away from this area to SoBro and the Gulch.

I am still hoping to see more development in the North Capitol area that creates a good link to Germantown. Still, this is a very positive project to see announced.

I am still hoping to see more development in the North Capitol area that creates a good link to Germantown. Still, this is a very positive project to see announced.

Good point and I totally agree!

I would also love to see an eventual connection to MetroCenter. It seems to be booming again too.

I would also love to see an eventual connection to MetroCenter. It seems to be booming again too.

I wish Metrocenter would "boom" in an entirely different sense.

But Germantown really is exciting. In ten years it will be one of the best bits of the city! The only really big thing I would like to see changed as the community continues along the path of hope and happiness is a larger re-investment in traditional architectural form. So far, the neighborhood has been a virtual playground for local architects trying out "new" and "innovative" "contemporary" architecture--which is whatever--but the resulting lack of front porches and other good and useful transitions between the public and the private is a bit sad.

Front porches create a whole new dynamic in walkable, mixed-use communities. Nashville's warm climate demands them. Let's get some in Germantown, word!

Regardless, I think this area will be just so neat.

But Germantown really is exciting. In ten years it will be one of the best bits of the city! The only really big thing I would like to see changed as the community continues along the path of hope and happiness is a larger re-investment in traditional architectural form. So far, the neighborhood has been a virtual playground for local architects trying out "new" and "innovative" "contemporary" architecture--which is whatever--but the resulting lack of front porches and other good and useful transitions between the public and the private is a bit sad.

Front porches create a whole new dynamic in walkable, mixed-use communities. Nashville's warm climate demands them. Let's get some in Germantown, word!

Some of the projects have integrated front porches in the area but some of them are pretty contemporary in an otherwise very historic neighborhood. I personally would like to see more GERMAN architecture in GERMANtown :D .

There is a lot of historical reproduction projects going up in Gtown. Some have been done so well, you have to have someone who knows point them out. I think there is a historical overlay there that helps a lot.

I'm trying to think of which new construction you refer to that doesn't have front porches; the new single-family homes in the area have them.

Some of the projects have integrated front porches in the area but some of them are pretty contemporary in an otherwise very historic neighborhood. I personally would like to see more GERMAN architecture in GERMANtown :D .

What kind of German architecture do you want? Nowadays, Germany is building some very modern buildings in their cities.

What kind of German architecture do you want? Nowadays, Germany is building some very modern buildings in their cities.

Ouch, got me on that one. I would prefer traditional German architecture (painted/designed wood structures) since it is a historic neighborhood.

As long as it doesn't turn into Bavariatown, that sounds good.

I'm trying to think of which new construction you refer to that doesn't have front porches; the new single-family homes in the area have them.

I am talking about all of the townhome projects going up...like Morgan Park Place. You and Smeagolsfree are right about the single family homes--some of them are fantastic, and some of them are horrible--but most of them have front porches.

Of course, I disagree with Smeagolsfree calling them "historical reproduction" houses. None of them are duplicates of other houses, old or new. By this logic, we could call Moran Park Place "contemporary reproduction." People need to get there heads out of timeline historicism and quit letting Disney run their take on tradition.

I am talking about all of the townhome projects going up...like Morgan Park Place. You and Smeagolsfree are right about the single family homes--some of them are fantastic, and some of them are horrible--but most of them have front porches.

Of course, I disagree with Smeagolsfree calling them "historical reproduction" houses. None of them are duplicates of other houses, old or new. By this logic, we could call Moran Park Place "contemporary reproduction." People need to get there heads out of timeline historicism and quit letting Disney run their take on tradition.

What kills me is that some of these "historic-inspired" homes being built, some of which really do look OK from the street [tolerable, but not impressive], then you open the door and see wall-to-wall carpeting, brass doorknobs/light fixtures, and linoleum. Yuck. Some do have higher-end finishes, though. I'm just disappointed that people pay good money for a brand new home in a nice neighborhood, and apparently settle for the cheapest finishes possible. I guess I don't really care that much -- just an observation. To each his/her own.

I'm OK with Morgan Park Place. At least many of the units have stoops and/or balconies, and it's bringing retail options to the 'hood. And raising property values [including mine.]

What kills me is that some of these "historic-inspired" homes being built, some of which really do look OK from the street [tolerable, but not impressive], then you open the door and see wall-to-wall carpeting, brass doorknobs/light fixtures, and linoleum. Yuck. Some do have higher-end finishes, though. I'm just disappointed that people pay good money for a brand new home in a nice neighborhood, and apparently settle for the cheapest finishes possible. I guess I don't really care that much -- just an observation. To each his/her own.

I'm OK with Morgan Park Place. At least many of the units have stoops and/or balconies, and it's bringing retail options to the 'hood. And raising property values [including mine.]

You are right. There are a lot of really really cheap and horrible new houses in Germantown and Salemtown. Morgan Park Place is about one million times better than some of the dumpy buildings that satire traditional architecture rather than enjoy its bounty of useful and meaningful forms. I have seen hollow plastic porch ballustrades that a two-year-old could kick in.

Morgan Park Place gets a LOT of things right. It sacrifices some common-sense traditional elements for the sake of innovation (and floor space), but it is not a total disaster like some of the cartoon traditional houses are.

My only request is that all of you stop confusing "historic," being from the past, and "traditional," the act of carrying on learned practices from the past. You don't call the English language or cheddar cheese "historic," though they are both carried on from centuries of past use, so please stop thinking of front porches and decent detailing as "historic." They are just as "contemporary" as anything else, the moment they are contemporarily used.

As long as it doesn't turn into Bavariatown, that sounds good.

Are you satisfied with making such unattractive statements?

Are you satisfied with making such unattractive statements?

I'm sorry I don't know what you're talking about. All I meant was that I don't want to copy architecture and make it into a fake little area that's trying to copy Bavaria. I kind of meant it in a joking matter. I don't understand how that was unattractive. I'm not trying to start a fight I just seriously have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm sorry I don't know what you're talking about. All I meant was that I don't want to copy architecture and make it into a fake little area that's trying to copy Bavaria. I kind of meant it in a joking matter. I don't understand how that was unattractive. I'm not trying to start a fight I just seriously have no idea what you're talking about.

I guess somehow you felt like Bavaria was not a real place, while Germany is, or something. So Bavariatown would be fake, while Germantown is totally rad. Kind of weird and I have a hard time figuring out why Bavaria struck you as nonreal, but I believe that you were just making a joke. Either Vinemp is a Bavarian, an employee of BMW, or just very, very, very sensitive.

I suppose it is true that Bavaria has a higher per-capita rate of lederhosen-sportin' than the rest of Germany--and many of my friends in Sachsen, Neidersachsen, and Berlin poke unattractive fun at the Bavarian accent. Maybe this is what you meant, Cheerio Kid--that while you like Bavarian people, and agree with the consensus that they produce the best Hefeweizen in the world (an unbeatable summer beverage!), that you prefer a pointed K

I just meant that Germany in general is pretty cutting edge with its modern designs, and that's something Nashville could copy. I know Bavaria is a real place, and that people live there, but do you want to have Bavaria here in Nashville? It wouldn't make sense.

I just meant that Germany in general is pretty cutting edge with its modern designs, and that's something Nashville could copy. I know Bavaria is a real place, and that people live there, but do you want to have Bavaria here in Nashville? It wouldn't make sense.

What? I was tryin' to get your back, G, but now you ain't making no kinds o' sense! What are you talking about, Nashville should copy Germany's cutting edge design but not "Bavaria"?

1) Bavaria is in Germany

2) Bavaria is just as cutting-edge (whatever the hell that means) as the rest of Germany

3) In fact, Bavaria might be among the most "cutting-edge" (in that there is a lot of bizarre experimental design being conducted on its citizens) of Germany's states

4) Why should we copy Teutonic cutting-edge (whatever the hell that means) but not Teutonic traditional? When does something stop being traditional and start being cutting-edge, and vice versa? And what in the dickens does Bavaria have to do with any of it? Are you thinking about the Sound of Music? That was in Austria, you know.

Dude! Break it down, puh-leez. People need to quit saying nothing about something, or something about nothing, and start saying something about something. I feel like I am in the waiting kiosk at a Bauhaus-themed buffet restaurant, with all this confusion about cutting-edgeness and "historic imitation" and the past/future/past-future-perfect Bavaria vs. Germany vs. Germantown of it all is making me dizzy.

Can we not debate the merits of a design, and whether a particular designer is sacrificing quality on the altar of innovation, without having to board a choo-choo train to avant-garde regional confusionism?

Cutting edge is a term used to describe the creations of the small number of persons or groups who are at the frontier of progress in a field, especially science. For instance, cutting edge technology refers to technology that is the most advanced and most original technology available at the time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting-edge

That's google's definition of cutting-edge.

I don't understand how that one comment caused all this. When I think of Bavaria, I don't think of big cities like Munich, which I forgot is located in Bavaria. I think of little villages that appear to have not changed since 1800. I think of the stereotypical Bavaria. Do you understand? I'm sorry for stereotyping. All I meant was that I do not want a replica of a small Bavarian village that hasn't changed for centuries. I don't know why I stuck in that modern bit. I don't want Germantown to be modern, just a normal neighborhood. I really don't want to argue about this.