Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jencoleslaw

eating on the road

21 posts in this topic

does anyone know if Evelyn's in Tiverton has re-opened? I'm thinking about foot long hot dogs and some Gray's Ice Cream...

does anyone know if Evelyn's in Tiverton has re-opened? I'm thinking about foot long hot dogs and some Gray's Ice Cream...

That's the one right on the water, correct? I was in Tiverton last week and it was open, if it's the same one I'm thinking of. I could use some Gray's right now!!!!

Ack, I just drove by it this weekend, and I think it was open... Here's their number, give them a ring (401) 624-3100.

Do they serve Gray's there? I had some great ginger ice cream at the one in Four Corners this past Saturday... They don't have the cheesecake ice cream I loved so much last year though :(.

- Garris

Ack, I just drove by it this weekend, and I think it was open... Here's their number, give them a ring (401) 624-3100.

Do they serve Gray's there? I had some great ginger ice cream at the one in Four Corners this past Saturday... They don't have the cheesecake ice cream I loved so much last year though :(.

- Garris

BTW, Gray's also has a place in Bristol on the waterfront by Goff's. And yes, Evelyn's is most definitely open as is the Commons Restaurant in Little Compton--famous for their johnny cakes.

BTW, Gray's also has a place in Bristol on the waterfront by Goff's. And yes, Evelyn's is most definitely open as is the Commons Restaurant in Little Compton--famous for their johnny cakes.

what's a johnny cake?

what's a johnny cake?

Disgusting pancake like thingies that I think are popular in the south. If you haven't had one don't bother, they suck on all levels.

Disgusting pancake like thingies that I think are popular in the south. If you haven't had one don't bother, they suck on all levels.

Johnny Cakes are actually a New England tradition and RI is "famous" for them.

They are basically the cornbread equivalent of pancakes, which makes their texture more coarse and their taste more sweet - although not as sweet as the doughnuts that Recchia would prefer :thumbsup:

Johnny Cakes are actually a New England tradition and RI is "famous" for them.

They are basically the cornbread equivalent of pancakes, which makes their texture more coarse and their taste more sweet - although not as sweet as the doughnuts that Recchia would prefer :thumbsup:

so it's a corn muffin in pancake form?

so it's a corn muffin in pancake form?

Essentially, but a different type of corn is used than you would find in most corn muffins. Native RI whitecap flint corn is used. kenyon's is the most famous brand, but their johnnycake mix displeases me as it is cheapened with white flour.

I prefer the 100% corn that comes out of Carpenter's Grist Mill down in South Kingstown. Also a really cool place to tour.

Johnnycakes are great, if made well. They can be heavy, flat tasting and listless if made poorly. I usually make my own at home, as I have not had good ones out at restaurants. I imagine Recchia must have had these types of experiences.

My grandmother made them once and forced us to eat them. They're bland as hell, almost as bad as scones...

Guess I was way off thinkin they were from the south (my mind was thinking grits I think).

- Garris

They don't have Gray's at Evelyn's as far as I know--I think Jen is referring to the one at Four Corners. I just tried the ginger ice cream too, down at the Gray's in Bristol--delicious!!

(my mind was thinking grits I think).

:sick:

My grandmother made them once and forced us to eat them. They're bland as hell, almost as bad as scones...

Guess I was way off thinkin they were from the south (my mind was thinking grits I think).

When you had johnny cakes did you have them with maple syrup?

Most scones are pretty bland but you can get really good ones at Seven Stars. Add some clotted cream like they do in England and they're outrageous.

When you had johnny cakes did you have them with maple syrup?

Most scones are pretty bland but you can get really good ones at Seven Stars. Add some clotted cream like they do in England and they're outrageous.

They make good scones there but I can't walk in without getting a ginger biscuit!

there was a place on Broad St. right near the Cranston line where I used to get Johnny Cakes once in a while. Just a change of pace from pancakes when looking for a high carb breakfast. Of course, I also like grits with some butter so maybe my pallette is more accepting of bland.

They make good scones there but I can't walk in without getting a ginger biscuit!

there was a place on Broad St. right near the Cranston line where I used to get Johnny Cakes once in a while. Just a change of pace from pancakes when looking for a high carb breakfast. Of course, I also like grits with some butter so maybe my pallette is more accepting of bland.

i had some sort of grits casserole thing at a conference that was really good and far from bland.

Jen - It's open. They rebuilt after the fire. I want down there just two days ago to pick up an order of clamcakes...

Jen - It's open. They rebuilt after the fire. I want down there just two days ago to pick up an order of clamcakes...

yay! i can hear the footlong grilled hotdog (and bun!) calling me all the way from here.

While I was eating breakfast on the road in Dallas, I asked for some ketchup to go with my eggs and the waitress said, "well thats just a dead give away that your one of them there damn swamp yankees"

While I was eating breakfast on the road in Dallas, I asked for some ketchup to go with my eggs and the waitress said, "well thats just a dead give away that your one of them there damn swamp yankees"

Well that's a new term for me, not being from the area. Luckily Wikipedia saved the day again..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_Yankee

You should have told her that in addition to putting ketchup on our eggs, us damn swamp yankees don't tip rude waitresses.

Too bad you didn't order fries and and ask for put vinegar to put on them. All of Texas would have been wiped out.

Mark