pedestrian bridge at town center

spa7f

did anyone else read the editorial in monday's pilot submitted by a upenn student from vb? in it he stated that the issue with the pedestrian bridge could be solved by creating an innovative one of a kind bridge...the student suggested building a bridge which would connect directly to pembroke mall and town center and house small retail shops and restaurants...thus the bridge could pay for itself...i thought this was an amazing idea and very creative and smart...although such a structure would look bulky...i think it would provide towncenter with a very unique aspect and create a safe and even more urban feel there...

what do you all think?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did anyone else read the editorial in monday's pilot submitted by a upenn student from vb? in it he stated that the issue with the pedestrian bridge could be solved by creating an innovative one of a kind bridge...the student suggested building a bridge which would connect directly to pembroke mall and town center and house small retail shops and restaurants...thus the bridge could pay for itself...i thought this was an amazing idea and very creative and smart...although such a structure would look bulky...i think it would provide towncenter with a very unique aspect and create a safe and even more urban feel there...

what do you all think?

Welcome to UP. This is a very interesting idea. This could definitely be done from a structural standpoint. The mall in my grandmother's town has a bridge with shops over a four-lane road connecting the original part with the expansion. From inside you don't even know it's a bridge. Such a bridge over the Blvd could be built as two bridges. This may also solve the resistance from the mall owners if they are given rental rights to half the bridge. Maybe SunTrust could be inticed to join in instead of blocking the path with a new 2-story bank by being giving signage rights on the bridge. SunTrust Bridge. Imagine the rights fees for that.

That sounds like a really good idea :). But I think it would be cool to have it set up with stores on the inside of bridge will the corridors having outward-looking windows onto the Blvd. Good idea?

yeah, something along those lines would be really neat....i actually work at towncenter and have thrown the idea out there and a lot of peopel seem to think it's a neat an interesting idea...i just wonder if hoffler/the city have even thought about it

It was built to revitalize Downtown Richmond similar to the Waterside in Norfolk. A matter of fact the Rouse Company developed both. I believe that it failed because Richmond's renaissance was still in its infancy in the 1980's. Broad St. was considered dangerous and rundown keeping many suburbanites away. Mostly I think the reason that the Waterside was a success and the 6th St. Market was a failure was that the Waterside was on the water a natural draw for people and the Sixth St. Market crossed a rundown Broad St. with fading department stores anchoring it.

I am not quite sure if a pedestrian bridge with kiosks and shops would be anymore successful in Va. Beach. Remember in Va. Beach not many people would park there cars in the Pembroke Mall parking lot than trot across Va. Beach Blvd to the Towncenter. Until the city establishes a strong pedestrian climate in this part of Va Beach I don't think this idea will work.

"Until the city establishes a strong pedestrian climate in this part of Va Beach I don't think this idea will work."

I do agree, but this would be a small step towards doing just that--making it more attractive to walk. The idea might be too extravagant, but at it's heart is to find a way to make the overhead crossing more attractive. That could be accomplished in a number of ways. The example in Richmond is depressing, not what we would want to see. Norfolk's Waterside crossing is simple and funtional, but could be more attractive, even iconic. The bridge at Town Center could make a statement--something to complement the new skyline. Whether or not it contains kiosks, restrooms or small shops probably is more of a side issue, and one that could make a relatively complex project out of a simple one.

At the very least, property holders on both sides of the boulevard should set aside some placeholder space for this project. It could be a City owned easement or something like that. What do you think?

"Until the city establishes a strong pedestrian climate in this part of Va Beach I don't think this idea will work."

I do agree, but this would be a small step towards doing just that--making it more attractive to walk. The idea might be too extravagant, but at it's heart is to find a way to make the overhead crossing more attractive. That could be accomplished in a number of ways. The example in Richmond is depressing, not what we would want to see. Norfolk's Waterside crossing is simple and funtional, but could be more attractive, even iconic. The bridge at Town Center could make a statement--something to complement the new skyline. Whether or not it contains kiosks, restrooms or small shops probably is more of a side issue, and one that could make a relatively complex project out of a simple one.

At the very least, property holders on both sides of the boulevard should set aside some placeholder space for this project. It could be a City owned easement or something like that. What do you think?

A simple pedestrian bridge I think would suffice for this area. I am just doubtful that adding retail or eateries would work judging from Richmond's experience. Here are a few pics of the 6th St. Marketplace which I believe was demolished last year after only 20 years in existence. The bridge can be seen in the lower left hand corner of the first picture. The second picture was taken from the inside of the Marketplace.

before_after.jpg

1310786-Sixth_Street_Marketplace-Ri.gif

I don't agree with the idea of putting retail and kiosks in a pedestrian bridge. Fostering street level activity and life around not above Virginia Beach boulevard, Town Center, and Pembroke should be the priority. Anything placed inside a bridge would only detract from placing these merchants in more appealing areas, such as the public plaza, the PAC, or around retail establishments that could use the foot traffic (Dick's sporting goods anyone?)

Also, Skyline....I dont think I've ever seen a picture of Richmond's marketplace that wasnt taken on a cloudy or rainy day...what foreshadowing :rofl:

I don't agree with the idea of putting retail and kiosks in a pedestrian bridge. Fostering street level activity and life around not above Virginia Beach boulevard, Town Center, and Pembroke should be the priority. Anything placed inside a bridge would only detract from placing these merchants in more appealing areas, such as the public plaza, the PAC, or around retail establishments that could use the foot traffic (Dick's sporting goods anyone?)

Also, Skyline....I dont think I've ever seen a picture of Richmond's marketplace that wasnt taken on a cloudy or rainy day...what foreshadowing :rofl:

I don't think people like to shop in walkways. Here in DC they thought it was a good idea to put shops in an underground walkway under Dupont Circle. That experiment lasted about 2 years until the whole venture went bust. It turns out people like to shop on ground level shops in the sun.

I don't think people like to shop in walkways. Here in DC they thought it was a good idea to put shops in an underground walkway under Dupont Circle. That experiment lasted about 2 years until the whole venture went bust. It turns out people like to shop on ground level shops in the sun.

Well that's a good point, but that's why I said to put the corridors facing outward onto the Blvd. But good points made; I think that the only way it would work well would be if there was multistory retail on both sides... I'm ultra-idealistic and a bit lofty in my ideas, but (as I've mentioned before) the Prudential Center in Boston is built atop a mini-mall with a pedestrian bridge across a wide boulevard... Something like that could possibly work. With a (not necessarily large) mixed-use tower built on one of the parking lots, with ground-level retail connected to both the mall and the Blvd, I think that would truly make a pedestrian bridge not only feasible, but worthwhile.

yes, richmond's example is disheartening, but we're in a different setting and city and i think the need for a bridge is growing...the newspaper just recently reported people getting hit by cars cross the blvd is still a growing concern...something needs to be done and why not make it innovative? ...the outward outdoor facing shopping experience i think is a great idea...the throngs of people constantly waiting the 1 hour plus wait for cheesecake could easily have something to do/stroll...just use the richmond fault as an example of how not to address the current situation

Hmm...Well it was definately brought up here and discussed at length. I don't know though cause the article appeared in the paper first. It's definately unimaginable that an architecture student in the metro hasn't found us yet. :lol:

what do you all think?

Well I like the comparison to the Rialto, but... yea... I'm hoping for a little more contemporary design :lol: . As someone who's crossed the Rialto, I must say it's dramatic, it's beautiful and it's iconic; hopefully something of great design can cross the Boulevard someday. I'm glad it's hitting the press :)

i had a hard time finding the video too so i looked and found it easier on new channel 3's website...great video...good to know city council actually listens to its citizens' input/idea...

here's the link

http://www.wtkr.com/Global/category.asp?C=...;nav=menu78_4_2

it should be somewhere in the middle of the page "new bridge at town center"

has a great pic of a similar bridge in venice, italy

• 2 years later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/virginia-b...destrian-bridge

This is a important topic for many, and it gets heated on the comments below the article...a very important issue for me personally.

For some reason this issue is bundled with a TIF tax for the property across the street from Town Center. I don't see how... especially when a bridge would not be that expensive...in my mind the bridge is being used as a scapegoat in order to push the tax on the property, which in tern would put added pressure on Kmart to go out of business! I do not think that Kmart or the mall has any great desire to see the bridge be built because people are crossing the street anyways. The real issue is safety, would should be on the backs of the city council, not the tax paying businesses. Not that they shouldn't help pay, but I don't think they see a real "financial" benefit.

To sum up, I think it's a good, legal way to put tax pressure on the Kmart and Mall land, which do gain from being so close to Town Center. Something else more profitable could go there which would benefit even more from a pedestrian bridge and help Town Center development to cross the street as well.

By the way, I think the bridge should be state-of-the-art, with moving sidewalks and elevators on both sides and "closed-in" to block out road sounds and keep some heating in during winter. Also there should be multiple entrances and exits (both street level and one connected internally to the Armada/Hoffler tower) and a gate should be installed along the median below to encourage bridge-use, lastly pleasant music inside the tower. If the city does all this then the bridge will work and be an exciting part of town center...people will use it and eventually someone's life will be saved from the dangerous crossing below.

Archived