SimCity 4 tips + tricks?

FromCityToRural

So what are some of the basic tips and tricks y'all use in SC4, just in general gameplay? Can be anything from layouts to tips on raising pop. density to solving certain problems.

Raising density is easy - start with plenty of civic services and they will come. Eventually you get an economy of scale and you can cut the taxes back to low 6's and then they really pack in, further enhancing the economy of scale.

Also, I like to build on a 6x6 grid, but I'm experimenting with 4x4 now, with 8x8 in industrial cities and commercial areas.

For parks, I like to use small flower gardens in residential areas, placed wherever I have a square or two for them, and small parks or plazas for commercial and high-tech industry.

I always build the Federal Prison for $250, but never anything else in a non-industrial city. Good clean revenue.

My main problem is traffic though - how the *bleep* do you get traffic to a reasonable level in a pretty densely packed city? I usually have both subways and buses, and in some cities rail to boot, but I can never get that traffic bar above halfway.

That's jsut the stuff I can think of off the top of my head. Post what works for you!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you haven't already. I would jump on Simtropolis.com. You can find great downloads and to help with your traffic problems download the NAM(Network Addon Mod). It's almost an expansion pack in itself as you get ligh rail,roundbouts,turning lanes etc.

If you haven't already. I would jump on Simtropolis.com. You can find great downloads and to help with your traffic problems download the NAM(Network Addon Mod). It's almost an expansion pack in itself as you get ligh rail,roundbouts,turning lanes etc.

Good to know. Been there a few times, but didn't seem too helpful to outsiders like me. I got the impression they had their little club that they liked and were just happy the way they were. Although on this internet connection, I'm not likely to download anything anyway.

Well, when the city gets really dense and packed in, you can pretty much run subways under every street and put stops every 5 tiles or so.. it's a huge financial drain to build it all.. but almost everyone will use the subways and the transit fares will outnumber the cost of maintaining the system (I do this in every dense city).

In most of my cities, people using subways to cars are about 5 to 1... and traffic is never a problem.. I don't need freeways or many large avenues.. mostly just regular streets. This isn't quite as realistic, however.. but if you're looking for a utopia city, go for it!

This will drive traffic down and pollution down to near 0. This keeps your sims happy.. and your mayor approval goes way up close to 100. Also, press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT and then click on the "God Mode", this allows you to plant forests without having to plant trees. This will make your city more desirable, raise mayor approval, and drive pollution down further.

I know this stuff isn't exactly realistic, but it saves time from having to plant trees all over the city.

This is great! I love ths game!! Does anybody have any cheats for getting more money, besides the weakness pays? I really need some extra cash :blush:

Beside that, you will have to download some mods or special lots for more money. Going back to Simtropolis as I get alot of that site. There are several bank buildings and an Lottery Ordinance that will give alot of dough.

Archived