Street Level Retail in Downtown Charlotte

monsoon

Are they developing Great Retail in Downtown Charlotte?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Are they developing Great Retail in Downtown Charlotte? (Please read the Link first)

• No - It still misses the mark, too much focus on the building, not people
    • Yes - It great and getting better
    • I don't believe that document

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Saw a great article on Planetizen which comes from Governing magazine about the lack of retail in Uptown. Here's a pertinent excerpt that gets to the heart of the matter:

Why, though, in a place such as Charlotte, with an easily documented market for downtown retail, is the supply almost non-existent? Well, one reason is that it's not entirely clear where the stores would go. The building boom undertaken in the 1990s by Charlotte's two huge financial institutions

^It's a great article and reflects much of what has been said in this topic and others. It amazes me they have spent so much money rebuilding downtown, literally billions of dollars in the last decade, and sadly a lot of it with tax dollars, and they have not accomplished anymore than they have.

Isn't BofA corporate center getting refitted to add some street front retail slots? Not that it seems these large buildings will have as much we'd all like, but there are efforts underway to make up for a bit of this. We really need to push for any new large projects to have a good heavy street presence of retail, restaurant, cafe, etc.

I'm an interested casual observer of your site (my parents were both from, born back then 90 years ago, rural Union County, now a suburb of your great city!). Google MacArthur Center, right in the middle of downtown Norfolk. About 1,000,000 s.f. of retail (incl. Nordstrom, Kincaid's, Apple, etc). They lucked out by saving 17 cleared acres for a number of years before the right development came along, though.

While on the subject of other cities I was in Columbus, OH this past wknd (dodging downed trees everywhere). Living in Columbus for 2 yrs and being from Charlotte I always considered them very simliar in terms of size and standard/cost of living. Also simliar in terms of growth and age of population(Charlotte due to migration/Columbus due to Ohio St largely).

I was somewhat amazed to hear that City Center Mall was on its last leg. Basically reduced to 2 restaurants and a tattoo parlor. 9 years ago when I lived there it was a substantial dowtown retail center with a Lazarus(Macys) anchor and many other typical mall type retail. Although not the size of Charlotte, Columbus's dowtown is growing with new condos, a newer arena, etc. I'm sure the pressure of other newer retail centers on the outskirts of town didn't help City Center, but it was a little discouraging to see the failure of centralized retail.

• 2 months later...

Some of this has been discussed in the Avenue thread, but might be more appropriate here.

The "Avenue market" is really coming along and almost looks ready to open. The interior looks complete, and some of the shelves are already stocked. The signs on the window advertise breakfast and sandwiches, which would be awsome. Not sure what type of "breakfast" they are talking about? Simple foods like muffins, or cooked food like a bacon, egg, and cheese. Anyway, this will be a welcome addition.

Thai basil continues to progress, with workers in and out daily. It'll be great to see a restaurant there instead of the Avenue advertisments on the windows.

Nix (burger and brew) just down 5th looks almost complete as well. Their neon sign is up and looks pretty cool, with flashing flames and lots of color. The interior of this place looks great, very original. It'll be nice to have another inexpensive place to grab a bite or drink. I've been frequenting Press alot lately because you can get a sandwich for under $10. Uptown can't have enough of these types of places, and one reason I'm jealous of the Trademark residents...

Couple all these together after they open and this turns into one of the better blocks uptown with a continuous street presence. The worst of it being the parking garage entrances on 6th st. Thankfully Stool Pigeons is at the corner. The Hearst Tower block has been mentioned as one of the best blocks in uptown, and for good reason. This should come in a close second. ~30 stories of offices, almost 300 residential units, a small hotel, a couple restaurants ranging from cheap to expensive, bars, clubs, a CVS, a convenience store/deli, and, not the greatest street prescence but, a parking garage. If only the 5th street side of Iveys was opened up, and the space at 5th and Church were leased...

The "Avenue market" is really coming along and almost looks ready to open. The interior looks complete, and some of the shelves are already stocked. The signs on the window advertise breakfast and sandwiches, which would be awsome. Not sure what type of "breakfast" they are talking about? Simple foods like muffins, or cooked food like a bacon, egg, and cheese. Anyway, this will be a welcome addition.

Speaking of street retail... the last unit on Trade St in the Arena is having its concrete flooring installed. Anyone know what is going in there? I thought I recalled someone mentioning 5 Guys, but that was a long time ago.

Also, the retail space in Courtside is seeing some work too... any word?

Speaking of street retail... the last unit on Trade St in the Arena is having its concrete flooring installed. Anyone know what is going in there? I thought I recalled someone mentioning 5 Guys, but that was a long time ago.

Also, the retail space in Courtside is seeing some work too... any word?

Archived