111 Broadway

it's just dave

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should please most everyone. At least I would hope so. The retrofit of an historic building with new uses and people places. Looks good to me. Work starts in the Fall.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=51023

BigRiver.jpg

Thanks so much for the rendering, that wasn't on the online version. The redesign looks pretty sensitive to the original look of the building. Now we just need that Jack Daniel's museum next door and that's a block of Broadway revitalized!!! :D

Btw Dave, I thought for sure you were gonna go for the Bicentennial mall landscaping article in the City paper when i read it online this morning. I guess I lose that bet with myself...

Not a total loss frankliner, I "almost" went there. I thought the fact that Gardens of Babylon were helping out with the trees was pretty sweet. I noticed the bags around the bases of the trees when I was at Market Sunday morning. I just thought they were watering. Didn't know they were feeding them worm soup. Yum. Hope this works.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 2nd and 3rd floors of this building had been considered for residential conversion a while back. Parking was a problem, and I guess that plan died. I wonder what the solution is for parking now that this larger plan is taking shape? Overall, it looks like a good project. I approve.

Although I'm still pro-Westin, this rendering gives an idea of what could happen to the Richards & Richards building if it were being saved. Let's just hope that if this Westin materializes other properties in SoBro will develop to reflect a bit of the past and the maintain/establish the industrial feel of some true lofts, all mixed nicely with whatever comes around in the future. A few high-rises won't make that much difference if kept to a reasonable part of the mix and address the street and those who will be using it all day, every day. Even though I'm a high-rise fan, I understand perfectly well what our "monks on the mountain" are saying when proselytizing about an absolute direction for our South of Broadway. Perhaps with enough compromise, everyone will end up happy. Perhaps everyone can stop at a pub, walk a block and stare skyward at those monuments which make us quiver at times. If we're lucky we can drop off our cleaning at the base of one of them. Then we can walk home after letting the dog poop in a pocket park (plastic bag in hand). Wait, I have cats. So much for the poop vision.

..Perhaps everyone can stop at a pub, walk a block and stare skyward at those monuments which make us quiver at times. If we're lucky we can drop off our cleaning at the base of one of them. Then we can walk home after letting the dog poop in a pocket park (plastic bag in hand). Wait, I have cats. So much for the poop vision.

Or if we're like that fella we saw at one of our after-meeting walks, we won't bother with the bag. :blink:

'it's just dave' quote:

"Even though I'm a high-rise fan, I understand perfectly well what our "monks on the mountain" are saying when proselytizing about an absolute direction for our South of Broadway. "

Wait a second here. If I am still a Westin sceptic, does that make me a "monk of the mountain"? What in God's green Earth is a "monk of the mountain"? What religion is that a part of?

No, fl, I refer to our "teachers" such as NT and others who've tried with some success to bring out some very real concerns on the development of SoBro as an urban neighborhood of workable and aesthetically pleasing mid-rise and low rise structures. I place myself somewhere in the middle by wanting that, but seeing no harm in a few high-rises punctuating the landscape as long as a new vocabulary of shadow lines, setbacks and FAR come into play. I refer to our mountaintop sages as teachers to us, the unwashed masses, and I've appreciated the levels of thought now going in to the planning and dreaming of what we want for the area. Being a mountaintop monk certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. You oppose the Westin out of respect for the Lower Broad area as a final bookmark in a long and storied history of downtown Nashville without so much worry as to the contradictory design faux pas of Egyptian symbols on an otherwise classically designed building such as the Schermerhorn.

Personally, I worry more that the city doesn't weed the newly installed landscaping on Gateway Blvd.

Thanks for posting the visual. I like the idea of the terrace at the front of the building rather than simply having a set-back that is occupied only by heating/cooling units and blacktop. It seems like a great way to use that space and add people to the street, albeit from a few floors up, rather than simply stapling balconies onto the side of a building. Does anyone know who will use that terrace? Will the Big River have outdoor seating upstairs and down or will there be another establishment up there?

Archived