Cheap Fun/Stuff

NewEastSider

New to town and wondering where I can find cheap stuff/things to do in Providence and beyond: concerts, gallery openings, film, lectures, adventures, etc. And what about food -- any great happy hours out there? And what about great thrift stores, cheap shopping spots? I'm broke and looking for fun, food and footwear ....

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can start by going to a Waterfire. It's always free and you can get some cheap vodka and put it in a Del's Lemonade and not have to buy any drinks.

Is BRU still doing summer concert series in Station Park? Those are free.

Welcome to Providence!

I suggest you visit this site and submit your email address for the weekly Providence Arts Calendar. It's an email that comes out once a week (usually Thursday) that lists arts/culture events in the city, many free. There's also more links on that page to other arts events.

Is BRU still doing summer concert series in Station Park? Those are free.

Are you sure those are free? There was one a couple weeks ago and it looked like they were collecting tickets, big fence around the park with a gate to get in. Though you can stand outside the fenced area and hear it well enough.

Are you sure those are free? There was one a couple weeks ago and it looked like they were collecting tickets, big fence around the park with a gate to get in. Though you can stand outside the fenced area and hear it well enough.

They were free at one time. I haven't been in years, but I've heard they do charge now, but not more than a few dollars.

They were free at one time. I haven't been in years, but I've heard they do charge now, but not more than a few dollars.

They're about ten bucks. The summer concert series is actually over now, though--wrapped up with the Dropkick Murphys last Thursday. Odd as summer really feels like it's just beginning, but anyway. They do still do a continuous cheap date thing, with cheap concerts, and cheap laughs, with cheap comedy shows. Check out their website at wbru.com.

speaking of laughs, the comedy connection in east providence hosts lots of local talent, but is a great place to see a national headliner. The place is so small that any seat is a good one, and often you can talk to the comedian after the show.

Also, theres always something going on at AS220 and Black Rep.

either the first or last friday of every month (i think they're still doing it), lucky 57, a local rockabilly band hosts "your roots are showing", which is usually bands from around new england and the northeast... all usually rockabilly, roots rock, folk rock, alt-follk, alt-country, etc. it used to be at the century lounge, but i think they've moved it to AS220. it also used to cost like $5 to get in...

i have no relation or affiliation to these bands, i just think what they're doing is great. :thumbsup:

And what about great thrift stores, cheap shopping spots? I'm broke and looking for fun, food and footwear ....

Check out the Flea Market on Manton Ave. They've got lots of clothing and shoes at low prices.

Oh yea! Tacos! The tacos there are great too, $1.25 each! Grab 3 and ask for the salsa hot! Now thats Sunday brunch!

get some cheap vodka and put it in a Del's

Not the 1st or the last time this recipe has surfaced on this board.

I've only been in Providence for less than a year now but we've been finding a ton of stuff to do on the cheap (plus a lot of expensive things if you want too :) ) The Art, Culture and Tourism emails are great for free/cheap events. It seems like there is some sort of a festival every week (music, film...).

At the John Brown House on Benefit st. they have concerts on the lawn every thursday evening. I think it's $8 but you could always just walk by and listen to the music.

Gallery Nights are a blast - and free.

Have fun!

Archived