NBA Seattle Sonics and WNBA Storm bought by OKC business group

where_am_I

I heard about this on one of our local sports radio stations while sitting in traffic (Atlanta) and thought that this would be a great thing for OKC if the teams were moved to that area. Apparently, there were a lot of issues surrounding the previous owners and the city renovating their arena in Seattle, with the team owners not getting their demands met. Now that the teams are bought by an OKC group and the city waiting for a full-time pro team to call their own, (and not have to share with another city), I think this would be great for OKC if they were to move to the area.

More info

http://www.newsok.com/article/2773971

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the kind words.

this is obviously the talk of town now and will be for some time. but we need to not forget about the hornets and support them while they are here.

if the move is made to okc it wont just be the sonics, part of the purchase was the wnba team the storm.

:blush:

However, doesn't it appear as though the first choice is to keep the teams in Seattle?

USA Today Article

No, it's not. Clay Bennett's GOAL is to bring an OKC team. But what JBrown said is so true in this instance. But I don't think the Hornets will get as much support as they would have had OKCers thought it would be the Hornets Bennett would buy.

Problem is Seattle is one of the more intelligent USA cities...

I'm hearing more and more talk that there might be a trade with New Orleans where we get to keep the Hornets and they get the Sonics. It was apparently confirmed by an ESPN writer as "distinctly possible". If that's the case then we don't need to abandon the Hornets next year.

I'm hearing more and more talk that there might be a trade with New Orleans where we get to keep the Hornets and they get the Sonics. It was apparently confirmed by an ESPN writer as "distinctly possible". If that's the case then we don't need to abandon the Hornets next year.

id trade for the hornets.

wow, 2 major teams in one swoop. good job bennet. i would even go to one storms game, just one. though.

Being up in the Seattle area, the press releases all state that some guy from Oklahoma City bought the Sonics and the Storm. That is true. But what I dont believe completely is that he wants to keep the teams up here. Truth is, the guy is going to have to make a decision between two major issues. Is going to move the teams to his town and create a greater sense of civic pride? Or, will he focus on making the most money possible. Im not trying to sound biased or bust anyones bubble, but truth is, in Seattle average wages are higher (and yes I know cost of living is higher too) and there are three times as many people in the market area (meaning the area that people are more likely to drive to see a Sonics or Storm game). I believe, and I could be wrong, but he will keep the team in Seattle for money making purposes. Tell me you wouldnt make as much money as possible ater spending some 300 odd million dollars on a sports team franchise. Again, Im not saying that he wouldnt be able to make money in Oklahoma City, but theres more money to be made in Seattle. And regardless of his decision, theyre staying in Seattle until 2010 because the team has a contract with the Key Arena that doesnt expire until then and they have to abide by the rules of the lease.

And thank you for complementing Seattle's intelligence.... being born there, I take that as a compliment! Thanks! LOL

You can have all the seats in the world..... that doesnt mean theyll get filled..... people will only attend a Sonics game if theyre doing well. Like right now, the Seattle Storm are kicking a$$! Their seats are practically sold out! Also, seats dont always mean money. Season pass holders give money but dont always fill seats. And where theirs more people, theirs more season pass holders... And like I mentioned earlier, I DONT hate Oklahoma City..... And Its not that I dont think they could use the Sonics or Storm... i just doubt them actually ending up there.... Thats all.... And hey, in 4 more years.... well be able to see with our very own eyes whether or not theyre here or there.... :-)

There's no doubt that the Seattle market has more people, but an arena will only hold so many bodies and here are the figures:

Oklahoma City's Ford Center: 19,599

Seattle's Key Arena: 17,072

More seats, more bodies, more $$$.

not true. That's one of the reasons the hornets left charlotte. The hive was by far the biggest arena in the NBA (24,000), but was outdated in 5 years due to the lack of skyboxes. It was the last of its kind where the NBA was truly for fans and not corporations. Now-a-days with the outrageous salaries of pro sports, the only way teams can make money is by selling box season tickets for 6 figures. Corporate boxes = more money.

OKC, the arrival of the hornets may sound like a dream come true, but george shinn (the hornets owner) is a complete douchebag. Ask anyone from NO. Why do you think that within 1 year after the NBA left charlotte, another team was in? Shinn wouldn't even give us our name back (there is historical significance of the name "hornets"). I am personally fed up with the NBA, but if you have a chance, make sure it's the sonics that move to OKC, not the hornets (unless shinn sold the team, <.00001% chance)

You're right about Shinn, and I think for that reason we may be better off with the Sonics despite what attachment we've developed to the Hornets in just one season.

The good thing is we do have great corporate support here. Even my little six-person ad agency is discussing company tickets.

Archived