CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The renderings look great! Has anyone heard about the parking situation there? I hope there will be a parking building beneath, rather than a lot around the hotel.

Hopefully they will use the new Spring Street Garage... Seems too convienient not to.

Anything new to pass along that we can't wait until tomorrow's paper to hear about? :lol:

News 4 said that there will be more in tomorrow Greenville News and they were also saying something about Devareaux's or however you spell it and another site next to the planned hotel land plot during the hotel story, but I was in the other room when it was on. Did anybody hear anything about it? Also, as it looks now the hotel will run parallel to McBee Avenue and the Bookends with the Spire facing Church Street and the back end facing Main Street. This is going to look really good from the Church Street Bridge.

...Also, as it looks now the hotel will run parallel to McBee Avenue and the Bookends with the Spire facing Church Street and the back end facing Main Street. This is going to look really good from the Church Street Bridge.

Where are you seeing that? The main entrance appears to be on the end nearest Main Street, which shows the projectiles directly above as well.

Where are you seeing that? The main entrance appears to be on the end nearest Main Street, which shows the projectiles directly above as well.

There appear to be two spires, one at each end of the building (Church Street and Main Street). The Condo Entry will be on McBee, directly across from the Bookends. The Hotel Entry and drive-up will be on Spring Street.

I'm discerning all of this from the photos posted previously of the renderings and site plan.

Also, some more information:

• Parking will be on two decks underground.
  • The condominiums, 98 East McBee, will range in size from 2,300 square feet to 3,500 square feet.
  • They will be sold as a shell, so buyers can customize the space.
  • BMW X5 sport activity vehicles with Michelin tires for guest shuttles.
  • Lighting made by Hubbell Lighting for the building.

The partners need permission from the city's Development and Preservation Commission to build the hotel. I hope this project isn't doomed because A.J. Foyt once purchased a set of tires from W.N. Watson on this site and then proceeded to go on to win the Indy 500 with them (not a fact - just sarcasm). :rolleyes:

News 4 said that there will be more in tomorrow Greenville News and they were also saying something about Devareaux's or however you spell it and another site next to the planned hotel land plot during the hotel story, but I was in the other room when it was on. Did anybody hear anything about it?

They were probably just talking about Mark Kent and his family also owning Kent Court and the Liberty Building.

They were probably just talking about Mark Kent and his family also owning Kent Court and the Liberty Building.

RT is right, I heard the report last night, and I assume it is on their website, wyff.com.

The DPC committee won't be a problem. The site is already vacant, there is nothing to be preserved, they are merely approving the design. Obviously it is unique and beautiful, so I can't imagine it being an issue at all.

What I want to know is. what is going to happen to the Main St. frontage on this site? A second phase/ If so, what would it be and when will it happen?

Obviously this is the best news to come down the pike in quite some time. And the fact that it will start soon is a welcomed change as well.

This might also help the Bookends sell their remaining units and lease out there retail space.

Great news all around :yahoo:

^^^Actually the DPC not only decides what is to be saved, they review plans and decide if the architecture fits with what they think Greenville should look like.

BUT, a project like this they would be crazy to shoot down, the press for them would be horrible. Also, the architects probably along the way, before announcements met with members of the council to see what concerns they might have.

Those two "spires" appear to be parallel on the same end of the building to me. That would probably be a better design as well, but who am I to say. ^_^

The DPC will not move against this project. I have a feeling that anyone who votes in opposition will be expelled from the commitee. The talk lately has been that there needs to be a change in the requirements to become a member of that board.

I noticed that too, but read into it that this is just one spire with two parallel parts and based my conclusion on the renderings. I guess this begs the question, "In this photo, are the two renderings in the backgound different angles of the same end of the building or two different ends of the building?"

bilde-1.jpg

They are indeed different angles of the same end of the building, as you guessed. It is easy to see when you take into account the height of the condo portion is at least a floor higher on one side of the building than the other. Both images show this same height. ;)

The reason i'm saying that is because if you look at the ninth pic on the Greenville News website, it says it is looking from a southeast perspective with the spire facing Church Street. I could be wrong though. Somebody tell me if I am. Here is the story from WYFF, but it's stuff we already know: http://www.wyff4.com/news/9539868/detail.html

They are starting construction this September, yet the hotel is not scheduled to open until spring 2008. Doesn't that seem like quite a long time for construction, or do high-end hotels like this routinely take this long because of the attention to detail?

Buildings this tall and unique usually take a year and a half to two years to build.

There appear to be two spires, one at each end of the building (Church Street and Main Street). The Condo Entry will be on McBee, directly across from the Bookends. The Hotel Entry and drive-up will be on Spring Street.

I'm discerning all of this from the photos posted previously of the renderings and site plan.

I agree wirth RT here. The entrace to the hotel looks to be on Spring St. I also like these spires. They add alot to the building.

I agree wirth RT here. The entrace to the hotel looks to be on Spring St. I also like these spires. They add alot to the building.

I emailed the architects and Nancy Whitworth for confirmation of this and I have now found out it's going to be 250,000 square feet. Also, according to this new article, it's going to have one of the highest rooflines in Downtown Greenville: http://www.wyff4.com/money/9539868/detail.html :thumbsup:

Archived