CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

This doesn't make any sense what-so-ever. I'm going to contact somebody tomorrow with the project just to make sure this is right. Where will people park with no underground parking? What about the hotel? I'm totally lost for words right now. :(

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told today, that the hold up on the Peacock has not been the remediation of soil

or water on the site, as they have not found any contamination in the water that has

been removed. The hold up is, the Peacock is under going a large design change and

they are waiting on approved structural drawings. " The building will now be seven

floors with no underground parking". "It will have only one sheer wall instead of three,

witch will make it easier and cheaper to build".

The only good news," Work should start in two weeks.

Someone may have fed you a tale. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't the people who bought condos on the 9th floor and up be pissed off about a height change, seeing how they bought their condos before this happened? :dontknow:

Someone may have fed you a tale. :rolleyes:

I agree. A false one at that.

This doesn't make any sense what-so-ever. I'm going to contact somebody tomorrow with the project just to make sure this is right. Where will people park with no underground parking? What about the hotel? I'm totally lost for words right now. :(

How about the gigantic Spring Street Garage?

I was told this by Bob, the on site superintendent for American Constructors!

This may be true, but I suspect it would kill the entire project. This makes no logical sense. All the condo sales were sold on the premise that the building would be built as proposed, with views, project quality, etc. Without all the ingredients, I daresay they would want their million dollars back (which might at least explain the height reduction). The whole point of the hotel itself was to be a one of a kind, "5 star gem"; unique, upscale, and highly visible. This change would seem to forgo all hope of that. Additionally, the developers knew of the cost of construction for many months prior to announcement, it would be the epitome of stupidity to realize (several months after groundbreaking) that it was too expensive or dificult to build. I am not saying you were not givin accurate info, but if you were, it would be about the most rediculous thing I have heard in a while. We hear a lot of rumors and heresay around here (for example, by this explanation, the whole ground contamination thing was malarky, but that came from somewhere). I would be quite shocked (and incredibly disappointed) if this is true. :dontknow:

This may be true, but I suspect it would kill the entire project. This makes no logical sense. All the condo sales were sold on the premise that the building would be built as proposed, with views, project quality, etc. Without all the ingredients, I daresay they would want their million dollars back (which might at least explain the height reduction). The whole point of the hotel itself was to be a one of a kind, "5 star gem"; unique, upscale, and highly visible. This change would seem to forgo all hope of that. Additionally, the developers knew of the cost of construction for many months prior to announcement, it would be the epitome of stupidity to realize (several months after groundbreaking) that it was too expensive or dificult to build. I am not saying you were not givin accurate info, but if you were, it would be about the most rediculous thing I have heard in a while. We hear a lot of rumors and heresay around here (for example, by this explanation, the whole ground contamination thing was malarky, but that came from somewhere). I would be quite shocked (and incredibly disappointed) if this is true. :dontknow:

O.K now it sounds as if you are questioning my integrity! You know all I did was stop and talk to the man thats building the building, the same as you can do, he is on site every day, so if this is "rumors

and heresay" at lest it came from a man you would think knew his job. As for the remediation how is

that "malarky" when it is required by DHEC and the building engineers?

If this turns out to not be true I'm sorry but, I just quoted what I was told word for word.

We're just pulling your chain, MITP. :) Always have information from more than one reliable source before posting good or bad information about a project unless it is from somebody very high up in the project like how Bob Ellis is with the Pinnacle on Main. At least, that's what I always say. I guess Bob from American Constructors would be high up in the Peacock project in this case. :thumbsup:

We're just pulling your chain, MITP. :) Always have information from more than one reliable source before posting unless it is from somebody very high up in the project like how Bob Ellis is with the Pinnacle on Main.

Who is "we?" I said what I did out of pure shock and disbelief before knowing exactly where the info came from. This man surely knows far more than anyone of us, since he is actually responsible for constructing the building itself. If I had recieved this information, whether I liked it or not, you better believe it would have been posted here in the same format. Thank you for sharing this with us, maninthepark. If this turns out to be true, it will be a sad day in downtown Greenville. And yet, it will at least be a new development on a vacant lot.

O.K now it sounds as if you are questioning my integrity! You know all I did was stop and talk to the man thats building the building, the same as you can do, he is on site every day, so if this is "rumors

and heresay" at lest it came from a man you would think knew his job. As for the remediation how is

that "malarky" when it is required by DHEC and the building engineers?

If this turns out to not be true I'm sorry but, I just quoted what I was told word for word.

Whoa now MITP, I think you got the wrong tone from my post. I was just putting down some thoughts on how crazy it would be if this is completely accurate, especially based on what we have been told before about the nature of the project. It just doesn't add up. I was questioning the logic of what you were told, not attacking you personally. As for the heresay comment, I can't tell you how many times I have read in these forums, completely conflicting accounts given by people informed by "reliable sources," or "people in the know." That's not an attack on anyone, just a statement about the nature of our forum; it's bound to happen, and I was just considering the possibility this could be one of those times. :thumbsup:

^^^Exactly. There are tons of times people, including me post information on this forum that are false or inaccurate. It happens all the time. For instance, Skyliner said a Cabela's could be coming to Anderson. That could either be true or false just like this. Until we receive more information on this new development, we can't be certain whether Bob was right or not. :thumbsup:

^^^Exactly. There are tons of times people post information on this forum that are false or inaccurate. It happens all the time. For instance, Skyliner said a Cabela's could be coming to Anderson. That could either be true or false just like this. Until we receive more information on this new development, we can't be certain whether Bob was right or not. :thumbsup:

I never said that, g-man. I said it was "only a rumor" I heard from a fairly reliable source. When I say that, you should automatically know that it is not "definitely going to happen."

^^^I know. What you heard about Cabela's and what MITP heard from Bob are both "rumors." They could either be true or false. I'll find out later whether MITP's rumor turns out to be true or false. Hopefully, it's false. :thumbsup:

This is very strange news? According to their web site all the residential unit are sold? How or why would you change the design now?

I did get a chance to look at the plans a few weeks ago and the two lower levels of parking are almost complete for the condo units. Very little parking on site for the hotel so I assume they are planing on using the spring street garage for valet parking.

^^^The good news is that you saw the site plan just a few weeks ago and it still showed the building at the height it was originally planned to be. It usually takes them more than a few weeks to change the plans. Frankly, I could care less if this project has underground parking or not. In fact, I would almost rather it not have that as it would be a quicker build without it. I just don't want to see the building reduced in height.

Thanks for posting what you heard, MITP. I have no doubt that you are telling us what you heard...

But what you heard makes no sense to me. I agree with what a former poster stated regarding the $1 million+ condos on the upper floors of this building. If you once thought you would be on the 13th or 14th floor, and all of a sudden you're going to be on the 7th floor, that dramatically changes things! I don't see how they could get ALL of the condo owners - who are the glue holding this project together - to agree to that. Besides, if you have sold your condo units, that seems to be all you need to proceed with construction. Perhaps they are wondering if the 5-star hotel part is feasible, but I assume that they did their studies on that BEFORE announcing the project and going through with the plans, renderings, etc. And even if they changed their minds on that, you would think that they could simply keep the building as-is and make the hotel 3-star or 4-star and keep the condo folks happy.

This is really strange, guys. I truly hope that the information MITP received is false (or that the guy he spoke with misunderstood). I can't imagine that they would reduce a building of this magnitude by half and still expect to proceed with the project.

Keep in mind that it was the hotel component of this which was supposed to eliminate (partially at least) the dependence on the sale of the condo units for getting the project off of the ground. Perhaps the condo units are being eliminated from the plan and the hotel portion is still a "go?" This would make sense with the elimination of the underground parking as well becasue on-site parking would be a demand of condo owners, not so much of hotel guests.

Archived