CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps the readers of this forum would benefit from posting the following information from The Greenville News. Obviously, a lot of posters are getting their information from this article, but it has yet to be posted. So here ya go.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....0/1003/BUSINESS

I'm pretty sure a link to the Greenville News article has already been posted over on this thread; however, you're correct in that there is no harm in also including the link with the CONSTRUCTION THREAD, too. Thanks! :thumbsup:

This project is on the DPC agenda for the August 3rd meeting. It is simply refered to as "A request to construct a new 250,000 square foot building on the southwest corner of E. McBee Avenue and Spring Street in the Central Business District". The DPC has already had some preliminary reviews of this project, so it should go through no problem.

This project is on the DPC agenda for the August 3rd meeting. It is simply refered to as "A request to construct a new 250,000 square foot building on the southwest corner of E. McBee Avenue and Spring Street in the Central Business District". The DPC has already had some preliminary reviews of this project, so it should go through no problem.

I noticed the same thing along with a lot more interesting things on the agenda for August 3rd that I posted here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...7005&st=540

Ok, I got confirmation.

Question: Where will the entrance of the hotel be?

Answer: The entrance to the hotel is from Spring Street. nancy

-I guess that also means the spire will be on the Spring Street side too, unless there are spires on both ends of the building.

^^ That'll just make the view of the downtown Greenville Skyline all that much more impressive from the Church Street Bridge. :shades:

I'm excited about the lighting they'll use. Imagine seeing all the towers and garages in this vicinity with beautiful accents after dark. :wub:

Out of all the stories I saw on this building today, I actually thought Fox Carolina had the best one. They even showed a rendering I haven't seen yet which showed the building from a side view on McBee Avenue where the Bookends are. It looked like the side of the building on the right would be would be glass on the left side of it then terra-cotta, just like the Camperdown is on the right side of it. The left side of the building looks to be all glass, although it's kind of hard to tell.

Terra-cotta. The materials used on this building will coordinate very well and add to the very international flair in our downtown. :shades:

That's the color I was thinking of, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it, so I went back and edited it. Also, were not going for regional tourism anymore, but now were going for national and worldwide tourism. :)

I just got this email from Nancy Whitworth:

If you like, you can contact our Zoning office and come by and take a look at the plans that have been submitted to go through the Design Preservation Commission. The DPC will be reviewing the plans during their meeting on August 3rd.

thanks,

nancy

-I will not be able to look at the plans because i'll be too busy the next couple of weeks, but if somebody else would like too, then give us the scoop on it that would be great. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Basically a summary of the GreenvilleOnline article, but this was printed in The Sun News, in Myrtle Beach:

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/sunnews/200...al/15088834.htm

I was reading the coment by White, about how we are evolving as a destination DT. MAybe I am reading too much into it, but I wonder if there are some plans out there for some more "attractions" DT. We all love Falls Park, but I don't think it by itself makes Gville a "destination." And with a high profile hotel likely coming, I wonder if some of the old ideas will resurface (or perhaps have already); ie IMAX, bigger ZOO, DT theater, national retailer, BPS, etc. It would be nice to see some of these, I just wonder if maybe he is hinting that these are already being planned.

I was reading the coment by White, about how we are evolving as a destination DT. MAybe I am reading too much into it, but I wonder if there are some plans out there for some more "attractions" DT. We all love Falls Park, but I don't think it by itself makes Gville a "destination." And with a high profile hotel likely coming, I wonder if some of the old ideas will resurface (or perhaps have already); ie IMAX, bigger ZOO, DT theater, national retailer, BPS, etc. It would be nice to see some of these, I just wonder if maybe he is hinting that these are already being planned.

I believe he is hinting at bigger and better attractions downtown. I think we will hear some big announcements during the next 6-12 months...

Archived