CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait one minute here. The "consultant" advises a smaller, more intimate structure due to high construction costs? No offense, but how does removing three floors of luxury condominiums create a more "intimate" feeling, and why would this be the best advice for the long-term? I am just a bit confused as to their reasoning. They go from a 12-story office tower to an 11-story luxury hotel and spa with condos to an 8-story hotel with fewer rooms and no condos? All within a couple of years. So if construction costs can rise that fast, isn't there some logic to the idea that they can come back down just as fast? :dontknow:

I have no doubt that an 8-story hotel in that location will be a welcome addition to Dowtown Greenville, but I have a problem with the way this whole project has been handled lately in public.

Skyliner, I agree that the logic here is confusing. I just hope they don't try to stick the spires on top of a measly 8-story building. But with how exorbitant construction costs have obviously become in the last few months, I'm sure they won't be spending money on frivolous additions like spires. Heck, at this rate, I hope they can afford glass on the windows! And hopefully, every hotel room will be able to have a door. :lol:

While I'm glad the amenities are staying (spa, doorman, etc) and it will still be luxury, this is just a plain old bunch of BS.

You know, old Bob and the Pinnacle.....he may have had problems, but the man is trying. He's being honest. Patrick and Kent have played us.

I am dissapointed, but it will still be a great addition to downtown, just not as great as it once was or could have been I should say. I'm glad that they will still have one spire, because I see it as a sign that it will still be an iconic building-- hopefully. Though I'm not sure with what they've said people are going to pay 265 bucks a night. <_<

Yeah, this thing just doesn't add up. Before the delay, they sold 12 units, so why they would reduce to 8 now makes no sense. If they are worried about filling hotel rooms, why not just reduce the asking price by about 25$ a night (at least at first), and keep the appealing project they had as it was? It could have easily been redesigned (with out being reduced) with a few things left out, to bring down the cost. And I still don't buy the "rising cost" excuse. Perhaps costs have gone up recently (like everthing else) but other developers and other cities seem to have no problems getting stuff like this to work out. And it seems very unproffesional to break ground and "sell out" units for a project, then, "oops, let's change it."

I suppose it will be nice when completed, and we will probably all be glad to have it, but it seems a huge opportunity was wasted here. And as for it's size; height/visability/views was supposed to be one of it's main selling points. With now an 8 story building (what 120 ft at the most?), this key ingredient will be lost. Just doesn't seem the recipe is there anymore.

On a positive note, a group has sent the city 10,000 bucks to seal the deal for the Gateway site according to the Journal... maybe they're from ATL? :rolleyes::thumbsup: Or to try to seal the deal, I guess I should say and persuade the city to pick them. Sounds positive.

Yeah, this thing just doesn't add up. Before the delay, they sold 12 units, so why they would reduce to 8 now makes no sense. If they are worried about filling hotel rooms, why not just reduce the asking price by about 25$ a night (at least at first), and keep the appealing project they had as it was? It could have easily been redesigned (with out being reduced) with a few things left out, to bring down the cost. And I still don't buy the "rising cost" excuse. Perhaps costs have gone up recently (like everthing else) but other developers and other cities seem to have no problems getting stuff like this to work out. And it seems very unproffesional to break ground and "sell out" units for a project, then, "oops, let's change it."

I suppose it will be nice when completed, and we will probably all be glad to have it, but it seems a huge opportunity was wasted here. And as for it's size; height/visability/views was supposed to be one of it's main selling points. With now an 8 story building (what 120 ft at the most?), this key ingredient will be lost. Just doesn't seem the recipe is there anymore.

Think it might have more to do with construction financing than ultimate profitability?

Seems like this is a common occurance with developers - this just happens to be very public. They start off with a few delusions of grandeur, then they get out in the market and realize that their product is not as sellable or financable as they thought and have to tweak it to make it work. Which is fine - but you probably shouldn't overly hype something that isn't a sure thing. Kind of chips away at your credibility.

On a positive note, a group has sent the city 10,000 bucks to seal the deal for the Gateway site according to the Journal... maybe they're from ATL? :rolleyes::thumbsup: Or to try to seal the deal, I guess I should say and persuade the city to pick them. Sounds positive.

That is very interesting news! I hope the fact that they "sent" the $10,000 means they are from somewhere else and have great things in mind for the Gateway site.

Back on topic, I am sure we will ultimately like the Peacock development but it sure is frustrating to have gotten our hopes up about a "sure thing" (according to the developers, anyway).

Wait one minute here. The "consultant" advises a smaller, more intimate structure due to high construction costs? No offense, but how does removing three floors of luxury condominiums create a more "intimate" feeling, and why would this be the best advice for the long-term? I am just a bit confused as to their reasoning. They go from a 12-story office tower to an 11-story luxury hotel and spa with condos to an 8-story hotel with fewer rooms and no condos? All within a couple of years. So if construction costs can rise that fast, isn't there some logic to the idea that they can come back down just as fast? :dontknow:

I have no doubt that an 8-story hotel in that location will be a welcome addition to Dowtown Greenville, but I have a problem with the way this whole project has been handled lately in public.

There are still condos, just 8 instead of 12. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since they had 8 sold off of a drawing. Selling the other four once completed shouldn't be too difficult.

I would not expect a SIGNIFICANT reduce in construction prices either.

I think financing changed as much as anything. I also think that to expect the same rate ($265 a night) when the product has been scaled back considerable, is risky.

The only thing I can say regarding all of this is that if you want to see what the new building will look like, you can go to city hall Monday-Friday during business hours before June 7th and look at the site plan and possibly even a rendering or you can just go to the next DPC meeting this coming up Thursday.

While I'm glad the amenities are staying (spa, doorman, etc) and it will still be luxury, this is just a plain old bunch of BS.

You know, old Bob and the Pinnacle.....he may have had problems, but the man is trying. He's being honest. Patrick and Kent have played us.

Hey, I know what will cheer you up. This is how I went from an angry person to a happy, funny one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=areyUfCNFxY

I saw a couple of trucks and equipment moving around on the site today. Looks like this one will finally get underway pretty soon :thumbsup: (though not quite as we had hoped :whistling::rolleyes: )

Yeah, they're tearing it up over there today! They've got a backhoe moving all kinds of dirt. They might just be moving it to the other side of the lot and then back again, but it looks like they're staying busy.

Yeah, they're tearing it up over there today! They've got a backhoe moving all kinds of dirt. They might just be moving it to the other side of the lot and then back again, but it looks like they're staying busy.

This is great to hear. I'll hold ALL my excitement until this lasts for a week or so and looks to be continuing, but I'll show a little :yahoo:

The Greenville News reports that the new plans were presented tonight to the DPC, but they won't vote on the changes until AUGUST! That means no construction until then... It also said, they planned to better connect the hotel to Main. I'm dissapointed by this because depending on how that occurs it will take less foot traffic off of McBee.. maybe not though. We shall see.... IN AUGUST!!! <_<

I am most disappointed because this building should be well under construction by the time the next USA Cycling Professional Championships are in town (in September).

Yeah, it should have been about half done by then. Wasn't it slated for a mid 2008 opening?

Also, the article talks about boutique hotels needing to have less rooms. But why would that reduce the number of condos, especially if all of them had already been sold? I think we may be getting fed some lines here... :whistling:

Archived