CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Those hotels probably became "hip" and "trendy" in spite of their architecture, not because of it.

The Peacock could have the best of both worlds (which is what would have happened with the original design), but unfortunately, its contribution to the cityscape and urban fabric will be less-than-stellar IMO.

The thing is we don't know what has caused redesigns, or even if the rendering posted is that accurate. We just don't know if "the best of both worlds" was possible.

Your first two points are well taken. But even then, I think something that blends in with its surroundings (good architecture does that) instead of calling attention to itself in a not-so-good way is the better route to take. A reduced budget doesn't necessitate one particular design, certainly not the one we see now.

Agreed. A quality rendering makes all the difference. Even with this low level rendering, I personally really like the way the lower floors are the white stone and the chunky attitude with the way it meets the street....very urban IMO.

I'm not sure why so many people are hung up on the outside though....it's what is inside a hotel. Look at the Hotel Rouge in DC...ones of the cities hippest hotels and the exterior is strictly "post war bland apartment". http://travel.wwte1.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr...=new&from=m

Or take a look at the Hudson....nothing but cold from the street. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

The Setai in Miami, The Mondrian in LA, etc, etc. Nothing special about any of the exteriors, yet they are the cities best hotels.

I am just basing my comments on the most current rendering. Sure it's not much to go on, shows only one 2-D view, and shows no inside images; but (currently) it is all we have to go on. And for what it shows, I think it is very disapointing and boring. Without a doubt, buildings can look much different from their renderings, and I hope this one does! Who knows, when we get more comprehensive renderings and inside details, and when it is completed, it might be one of the nicest in Gville. I would gladly admit I was wrong, and that it turned out to be excellent. But for now, with what we see, I think it could have been a lot better.

I'm just hoping this redesign is because some of the potential buyers of the condos pulled out, because I tell you what if I committed that much money for something and they turned around and said "...um hold on a second we can't afford this building so we're gonna cut out the top 4 floors..." and so goes all the condos one of which I was gonna buy, I would be pretty ticked off. I understand it's a private developer and private money, the thing is don't tell someone you're gonna do something get all these commitments for it and pull the rug out from under their feet. My ire with this project has nothing to do with how it looks or even that it is only 8 floors, it lies with the fact that they could have thought this through beforehand and not looked like such clowns when they decided they couldn't build the condos which were, unless they were being untruthful, all spoken for because it was too expensive. Thats why I said before might as well not even build it. The people thought they were getting the best seat in the house and oops nevermind can't do it.

I'm just hoping this redesign is because some of the potential buyers of the condos pulled out, because I tell you what if I committed that much money for something and they turned around and said "...um hold on a second we can't afford this building so we're gonna cut out the top 4 floors..." and so goes all the condos one of which I was gonna buy, I would be pretty ticked off. I understand it's a private developer and private money, the thing is don't tell someone you're gonna do something get all these commitments for it and pull the rug out from under their feet. My ire with this project has nothing to do with how it looks or even that it is only 8 floors, it lies with the fact that they could have thought this through beforehand and not looked like such clowns when they decided they couldn't build the condos which were, unless they were being untruthful, all spoken for because it was too expensive. Thats why I said before might as well not even build it. The people thought they were getting the best seat in the house and oops nevermind can't do it.

Bowler Hat Guy: "What's going on? Why aren't you seizing the boy?!?!?!?"

T-Rex: "'Cause I have a big head and little arms, and I'm just not sure how well this plan was thought through....Master?"

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....SINESS/70802038

Separately today, the Design and Preservation Commission approved revised plans for the Peacock Hotel & Spa, the eight-story, luxury hotel planned at the corner of McBee Avenue and Spring Street.

Kinda off-topic, but how much do you want to bet that one of Stewart Spinks' retail tenants at 113 South Main will be Dunkin Doughnuts? :lol: I noticed a huge sign in the front window there last night, but didn't catch what it said...seemed to be advertising a construction company, so I knew something was getting ready to happen there.

As for 98 East McBee, the site itself looks to be just about ready, so we should see something rising off of it before very long, I would imagine. I can only hope that the building, once complete, looks amazing in spite of how the rendering looks.

Did anyone notice the materials list for this building?

• Limestone
  • Stucco
  • Brick
  • Glazed Brick
  • Aluminum Framed Glazing
  • Blue and Green Glass
  • Granite
  • Composite Metal Cladding
  • Metal Panel Canopies
  • Mosaic Tile

I heard it said somewhere that recipes should be kept simple. This one looks pretty complicated. :rolleyes:

Did anyone notice the materials list for this building?
  • Limestone
  • Stucco
  • Brick
  • Glazed Brick
  • Aluminum Framed Glazing
  • Blue and Green Glass
  • Granite
  • Composite Metal Cladding
  • Metal Panel Canopies
  • Mosaic Tile

I heard it said somewhere that recipes should be kept simple. This one looks pretty complicated. :rolleyes:

I almost posted these a while back, actually if you look at the rendering and try to decide what is which material, you can form a picture in your mine that this thing might be nicer looking than we think.

When i was working out at Mcbee station the stucco was just so thin and cheap. I would much rather have the brick for strength and looks. I think this Peacock hotel doesnt really need the red brick look and the lighter colored stone and brick look better and take away from the average "red" brick look that you see around the city. It will probably be nice when its done. Im sure the city must have had some questions about this new design once they saw the renderings. So is this thing finally a go now?

I almost posted these a while back, actually if you look at the rendering and try to decide what is which material, you can form a picture in your mine that this thing might be nicer looking than we think.

Yea...I'd almost agree with you here. I took a look at the rendering with that list in front me not long after I posted the list here and I can almost see it, too. Maybe it won't look so bad. I'm still not entirely convinced, though. It just seems a bit busy, still.

Yea...I'd almost agree with you here. I took a look at the rendering with that list in front me not long after I posted the list here and I can almost see it, too. Maybe it won't look so bad. I'm still not entirely convinced, though. It just seems a bit busy, still.

I'm kinda feeling the same way now. I think I'll take more of a "wait and see" approach with this one.

When i was working out at Mcbee station the stucco was just so thin and cheap. I would much rather have the brick for strength and looks. I think this Peacock hotel doesnt really need the red brick look and the lighter colored stone and brick look better and take away from the average "red" brick look that you see around the city. It will probably be nice when its done. Im sure the city must have had some questions about this new design once they saw the renderings. So is this thing finally a go now?

Real stucco is not very thin and definitely not cheap. I have seen 2 inch thick real stucco in a few places, one of which is GSP. They do it right over there - double block walls with rebar and every cell is poured with mortar. Once you add the lath (dense wire mesh) and thick stucco, the wall is virtually impenetrable. Most projects these days go the cheap route and apply synthetic stucco which uses a styrofoam structure and then a very thin layer of fiber reinforced cement (stucco) to give it the "authentic" appearance. In either case, I do like the look of the stucco exterior when it is combined with matching materials.

Seriously though, my view on this building is not affected by the materials used on its exterior, but rather the physical design itself. The building will leave much to be desired architecturally.

Finally, I received information that this project will begin Aug 27. This is from a reliable source so look for construction activity around this date.

I walked by the site yesterday and this date would make sense...it looks like the site is pretty much ready and waiting for construction to begin.

I keep clinging to this crazy hope that all this was a bad dream and they were just trying to take our eye off the ball and instead of cutting 4 floors, they added 8. :silly: A skyscraper race in Greenville?!?!?! Never couldn't have that, would be too much fun to watch, after all looking at the rendering we aren't having a race for the sky rather we are having a race to see who could make the most bland building. My vote is for the "Redesigned" Peacock. Good thing I didn't have near enough money to "reserve" one those condos they were going to build I wouldn't be a happy camper if that happened to me. "Instead of your Penthouse on the top floor..." which was hyped up to be what 12th floor? If I'm not mistaken, "...Instead of that sir we offer you the finest views of the top floor of the Bookends or better yet the Carolina First parking lot from our luxurious 8th floor Penthouse of our fabulously redesigned skyscraper..." After that happened to me I would probably just end up living out of my car on the top deck of the Spring Street garage. :D I would probably have the same view. :P I probably wouldn't be so aggravated if they would have went with an 8 story building to begin with, but to stroke their own ego they hyped up a building they couldn't build sorry just a bit unprofessional if you ask me. My rant is over now lets see something sizable get built downtown this decade and I'll be content again.

Real stucco is not very thin and definitely not cheap. I have seen 2 inch thick real stucco in a few places, one of which is GSP. They do it right over there - double block walls with rebar and every cell is poured with mortar. Once you add the lath (dense wire mesh) and thick stucco, the wall is virtually impenetrable. Most projects these days go the cheap route and apply synthetic stucco which uses a styrofoam structure and then a very thin layer of fiber reinforced cement (stucco) to give it the "authentic" appearance. In either case, I do like the look of the stucco exterior when it is combined with matching materials.

Seriously though, my view on this building is not affected by the materials used on its exterior, but rather the physical design itself. The building will leave much to be desired architecturally.

Well you might have seen some of the older real stucco on those buildings but that is an airport and your definetly not going to see that on any kind of new structures unless they call for it in the building. Mcbee station is cheap thin 1/8-1/4" stucco. End of story. I am a Brick Mason and double block walls are becoming a thing of the past unless the plans call for such. Jails and airports are probably the only places your find that. Schools can be pretty beefed up also. I dont like synthetic stucco but that is what you will usually find on buildings now. Trust me i see enough of this on every job i go on. What is even worse is the lack of experience of the Hispanics putting it on.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that construction began on The Peacock today. Can anyone confirm this?

Although we are disappointed that they scaled back from the original plans, this is going to make a huge difference for that site. I think we all got used to that vacant lot, to the point that a new (and certainly unique) 8-story building in that location will really pop. :)

It is also going to play an important role in expanding the walkability of downtown.

I heard that construction began on The Peacock today. Can anyone confirm this?

Although we are disappointed that they scaled back from the original plans, this is going to make a huge difference for that site. I think we all got used to that vacant lot, to the point that a new (and certainly unique) 8-story building in that location will really pop. :)

It is also going to play an important role in expanding the walkability of downtown.

I was by there around noon and the site looked the same. :dontknow:

Archived