CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

I doubt this is true. If you look closely the underground parking is in place.

Right, but the story I heard was that there was suppose to be more... Spaces per unit got cut back, as did units sold...

Like I said, it's all hearsay, so take it for what it's worth...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, all of the underground parking got scrapped from the project when it was redesigned due to costs. That lower level you see on site is the basement not a garage. Cars were/are to be parked in the garage across McBee Avenue from the hotel.

• 8 months later...

The article is one not just on the Peacock but several stalled developments in Greenville due to the economy. It basically states that the current proposed hotel is dead in the water, but that Mark Kent has gotten new partners and plans to build something on the site in the future.

The article is one not just on the Peacock but several stalled developments in Greenville due to the economy. It basically states that the current proposed hotel is dead in the water, but that Mark Kent has gotten new partners and plans to build something on the site in the future.

Well that is at least good to hear, I just hope it doesn't sit like it is for years and years. It has already been over a year hasn't it?

What did it say about the other projects?

Translation: I'm in over my head, and since I have already invested a lot of money in the site I should try to do something with it. Plus, I don't want the city to fine me because such a prominent piece of land is sitting empty, so at the very least I better say that I am planning something.

Well that is at least good to hear, I just hope it doesn't sit like it is for years and years. It has already been over a year hasn't it?

What did it say about the other projects?

All work on the site stopped in December 2007 -- and they took the tower crane down a couple of months later. So the site's been simply deteriorating for 2 years now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel with four or five floors and 51 to 71 rooms. The spa has been eliminated.

Hmm. The smaller size could be a good thing if they plan on making it a 5-star hotel, part of the Leading Hotels of the World, etc. I would much prefer that they provide a high level of detail for 50-70 rooms than make it larger and decrease the quality. I hate to see them lose the spa component, but this could still be a great asset to our city if the hotel is exquisite, includes some nice restaurants, and perhaps even has a retail spot or two.

Hmm. The smaller size could be a good thing if they plan on making it a 5-star hotel, part of the Leading Hotels of the World, etc. I would much prefer that they provide a high level of detail for 50-70 rooms than make it larger and decrease the quality. I hate to see them lose the spa component, but this could still be a great asset to our city if the hotel is exquisite, includes some nice restaurants, and perhaps even has a retail spot or two.

Yep....if done well it could be great. Small intimate hotels are all the rage. Will it be done well? I'll reserve opinion until there is a finished product.

• 1 month later...

And, another 3 stories are gone! (7 total) :ph34r:

At this height, I wish they'd just bring the entire front face of the building up to the street. But, I assume they're still planning to use the current columns, which are probably not built to support four floors on top of them...

However, with the proposed CVS across the street, the whole dynamic of East McBee has the opportunity to be transformed if they can get financing. I'd love to see Leatherwood Plaza (right name?) at the SunTrust building be a part of the McBee Ave streetscaping plans. That space could be much more inhabitable if given the chance..

I'd rather the developers wait and try to join a larger mixed-use project either on this site or one of the other high profile properties in downtown. Although this proposal would add something to a vacant lot (well, an almost vacant), there is very little about the stand-alone design that adds to the urban fabric of our downtown. I can imagine this building being replaced within a few decades.

I'd rather the developers wait and try to join a larger mixed-use project either on this site or one of the other high profile properties in downtown. Although this proposal would add something to a vacant lot (well, an almost vacant), there is very little about the stand-alone design that adds to the urban fabric of our downtown. I can imagine this building being replaced within a few decades.

Agreed. I do like the design better than the eight story one but I don't like the over-use of the beige brick and height. I'm worried about the hotel being completed than going into foreclosure soon after it opens due to a lack of financing and business.

Yawn. This looks like a fairly standard low-rise hotel, not an upscale 5-star property geared toward discriminating tourists visiting Greenville. I agree with Skyliner about preferring to see this 5-star hotel included as part of a mixed-use development. A taller building, with mixed uses, and a more progressive feel would be much better.

Archived