CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this one doesn't fly, the next plan is a one story Motel 6.

Actually there has not been a whole lot done to the site. I think it would be a good idea to scrap this and tell Mr. Peacock to build in another city if he can't deliver the 12 story building he once promised. The right person could do something very nice with this piece of property.

• 2 months later...

I drove down McBee yesterday. The new bank building under construction at McBee Station looks like it will have a nice visual impact. McBee Station is just a great development that adds a lot to the surrounding area. :thumbsup:

Continuing down McBee, I took it all in and realized what a nice street it is. It is a very pleasing stretch, until you get to the partially built lot known as the Peacock Hotel and Spa site. :sick: Someone really needs to do something about this. I have known that the site needed to be developed, but yesterday was the first time I really notice the negative impact this site has on the blocks that surround it.

• 9 months later...

I'm just going to assume this is an April Fools joke.

However...I did see the fence open with a truck parked on the lot yesterday...

It's not an April Fools joke...or is it? :silly: The Pinnacle also received financing and will start construction in two weeks. ;):P

The truck you saw parked there is probably for the CVS. Harper Corp is using the Peacock site for their staging area...no joke.

Oh, I trust you. I've just had my heart broken too many times. I won't believe it's happening until the ribbon is cut.

Just so I don't confuse you or anybody else: The Peacock has not received financing. Nothing more than an April fools joke. :hi::ph34r: Who knows...maybe someday the developers will though.

• 8 months later...

It's been exactly four years since this project stalled. Happy birthday. Make a wish and blow out the candles.

With as much dignity as he could muster, the Old Man gathered up the sad remains of his shattered major award. Later that night, alone in the backyard, he buried it next to the garage. Now I could never be sure, but I thought that I heard the sound of "Taps" being played, gently.

It's been exactly four years since this project stalled. Happy birthday. Make a wish and blow out the candles.

With as much dignity as he could muster, the Old Man gathered up the sad remains of his shattered major award. Later that night, alone in the backyard, he buried it next to the garage. Now I could never be sure, but I thought that I heard the sound of "Taps" being played, gently.

Hopefully those rumors of apartments takings the Peacock's place are true and we'll find out more this coming year!

Nonetheless, Happy Birthday floor one's re-enforced concrete columns!

• 3 months later...

For what purpose? Any guesses?

They were Triangle Construction workers. Looked like they were removing any excess rebar that wasn't formed in concrete when this project stalled several years back. Not sure what if anything else they were doing and why.

They were Triangle Construction workers. Looked like they were removing any excess rebar that wasn't formed in concrete when this project stalled several years back. Not sure what if anything else they were doing and why.

Well, that at least hints toward positive news for this site.

Surely after all these years they didn't suddenly decide that they were desperate for a couple dozen pieces of rebar... :lol::ermm: Fingers crossed for some public knowledge (and images) about what they're planning to do with this site.

Triangle has been asked to do basic clean-up of the site, not because of impending development activity, but because the site has been dormant and deteriorating for so long. The rebar sticking out of the concrete columns has been removed, and they were doing some work right on the corner of McBee & Falls when I was by there mid-morning. Not sure what else they've been instructed to do, and would be interested to hear. It's still an eyesore, but every little bit helps.

I really wish this prime piece of property would be put in the hands of a developer who has the knowledge and money to make something great happen there. I've lost all hope that the current developers will do anything decent there. If they do anything with it (and I would be shocked if they actually do), I am almost certain it would be disappointing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the city has the right to take property back if the developer fails to follow through with his plans (assuming the city has the right to purchase the property back. Im basing this on the old Greenville Memorial Auditorium site.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the city has the right to take property back if the developer fails to follow through with his plans (assuming the city has the right to purchase the property back. Im basing this on the old Greenville Memorial Auditorium site.

The city never owned the Peacock site, and therefore has no claim to it. The Auditorium site was under contract to a couple of potential buyers but those deals fell through. Those developers never closed on the property. The current owner is the only one that closed on it.

Kent was / is in over his head. The property will not be developed by him. I understand some of the Kentwool business to St. John has been lost.....not very impressive to lose business to such a prestige brand. Hopefully some other developer will come along OR the city could do a pocket park with a wonderful stylized granite "F" as a tribute to failure?

I thought a rumor had circulated about then trying to get rid of the property?

Selling the property seems to be the best choice for all involved. The current owner can cut his losses and move on, a new developer can make something of a prime piece of real estate, and the city and its citizens can have something nice to enjoy there (and not just an eyesore).

• 3 months later...

From the Greenville News: Four stories. 55 apartment units. Groundbreaking slated for this Fall (within 90 days).

This project just keeps getting shorter and smaller by the year. Can't say I am surprised though and this will add even more residents downtown (IF it gets built) which is nice to see. Some other interesting info from the news story:

Kent said he and members of his family still aim to develop a high-end hotel downtown and are pursuing a plan that is in the preliminary stages.

This time, though, Kent said he will secure full financing from the start “so that when we do pull the trigger it will go seamlessly.”

Kent said he and family members are still investors in the property where the hotel was originally planned, but Peacock is in charge of the apartment development.

Peacock said the apartment complex, called 98 East McBee, would offer a mix of studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom residences, ranging in size from 784 to 1,548 square feet.

He hasn’t yet set rents, but he said the price per square foot should be close to that of the 100 East apartment complex under construction a block away on Washington Street.

At that complex, which is attached to the city’s Spring Street garage, rents range from $1,025 a month for a studio unit to $1,700 for two bedrooms and two baths, said developer Russ Davis. All 48 apartments have been spoken for, he said.

Parking for both complexes will be in the Spring Street garage.

And Davis said he is working on plans for another complex in the Central Business District with more than 200 apartments.

Davis also said he may buy and renovate an existing building on the outskirts of downtown that would bring another 250 apartments to the market at lower rents.

From the Greenville News: Four stories. 55 apartment units. Groundbreaking slated for this Fall (within 90 days).

This project just keeps getting shorter and smaller by the year. Can't say I am surprised though and this will add even more residents downtown (IF it gets built) which is nice to see.

Well thats a let down. At least 4 stories too short.

Archived