CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• 2 months later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Triangle Construction signs are now up on site.

Their most recent renderings looked a heck of a lot better than their original things we saw. I'm HOPING this turns out well. The additional apartment units are certainly welcome. Hopefully the building itself will be a welcome physical addition. It will be really nice to have the south side of the street better defined.

Their most recent renderings looked a heck of a lot better than their original things we saw. I'm HOPING this turns out well. The additional apartment units are certainly welcome. Hopefully the building itself will be a welcome physical addition. It will be really nice to have the south side of the street better defined.

Agreed. This project reminds me a lot of 400 North Main and 155 Riverplace.

• 2 weeks later...

Which is better....a rusty fence and empty lot, or a bland suburban apartment building?  I guess these apartments.  And to think of the grandiose plans for the Peacock Hotel.....and Tower at Falls & Broad.....and the Pinnacle.....and on and on.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Which is better....a rusty fence and empty lot, or a bland suburban apartment building?  I guess these apartments.  And to think of the grandiose plans for the Peacock Hotel.....and Tower at Falls & Broad.....and the Pinnacle.....and on and on.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

And One....and Riverplace....and Liberty Bridge.....and on and on :lol: :lol:

The renderings are so-so, so who knows what to expect... But, the second one looks like the building is setback rather far. I think it's probably an artistic issue and therefore not truly to scale. However, the best hope for this development is for the TD Bank property to be developed and simply hide this project within the urban fabric. 

I am thankful for the additional rental units that this will bring to the CBD. 

A good way to see how far back the building will be set back from McBee Avenue is to look at the satellite pic below. The large concrete pad area you see on site is where the building will be located while the gravel area will be for the courtyard:

00184cad4cd0c8edfcfb1b7ffddf9c16_zps1841

Why oh why is the city of Greenville allowing such a poorly planned, poorly executed and ugly building to be built in such a prime spot?  Ask yourself.  Ask some of the city officials.  Then find the real answer and you'll be sickened.  :sick:

A good way to see how far back the building will be set back from McBee Avenue is to look at the satellite pic below. The large concrete pad area you see on site is where the building will be located while the gravel area will be for the courtyard:

00184cad4cd0c8edfcfb1b7ffddf9c16_zps1841

Question: We know the city will do the courtyard in front where there is gravel. But what about the gravel next to the TD parking lot?

Why oh why is the city of Greenville allowing such a poorly planned, poorly executed and ugly building to be built in such a prime spot?  Ask yourself.  Ask some of the city officials.  Then find the real answer and you'll be sickened.  :sick:

Money talks. Always has, always will.

Question: We know the city will do the courtyard in front where there is gravel. But what about the gravel next to the TD parking lot?

Hope you like pavement.

I'm I missing something?  The building is going to cover at least  80% of the site, right?   

If the setbacks are terrible, at least realize that is what the Peacock Hotel would have had too, and everyone thought that was wonderful. 

Can you enlighten us gs3, as to what you believe the 'real answer' to be?      

I agree. Honestly, I don't have a problem with this project or see how it's any worse than 400 North Main or 155 Riverplace which there weren't any complaints about. I don't have a problem with the courtyard area either. Looks like a great place to sit back and read a book or surf the Internet on a tablet on a nice day. I'd much rather have this development than an empty site.

I'm I missing something?  The building is going to cover at least  80% of the site, right?   

If the setbacks are terrible, at least realize that is what the Peacock Hotel would have had too, and everyone thought that was wonderful. 

Can you enlighten us gs3, as to what you believe the 'real answer' to be?

Glad to see the low expectation level in Greenville hasn't change.

I find it to be a beautiful building. 

The Peacock Hotel & Spa was widely considered "wonderful" because its initial plan introduced a relatively interesting design that seemed to better approach the structural potential of that site, despite a small but disappointing setback from McBee Avenue.

The Peacock Hotel & Spa was widely considered "wonderful" because its initial plan introduced a relatively interesting design that seemed to better approach the structural potential of that site, despite a small but disappointing setback from McBee Avenue.

Well, that and greater height masks setbacks. The street presence is still felt. However, the impact on the street is going to be much less at 4 stories as opposed to either the 8 or 12 story options at that distance. Furthermore, hotels have a better case for requiring a curb cut for loading, which may produce a setback (not ideal, but possible). Apartment buildings do not. 

I am fine with the building and the setback, but my only thought of the moment is that in 20 or 30 years, these buildings that look so "with-it" today are going to look as horribly dated as the Daniel Building and BofA buildings are.

I'm not a fan of government telling people what to do, but perhaps downtown property owners could team up and set private-sector architectural guidelines.  There are enough classic brick buildings downtown that maybe future construction of buildings under a certain height could be required to be of the same type.

Archived