CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

It could have been much worse.....it could have been a bland 8 story red brick hotel like many of the new cookie cutter Hiltons that are being built. :(

Many of those aren't bland at all, nor are they cookie cutter; there is much variety in the Hiltons that are going up these days. The ones you are referring to may not be architecturally daring, but they are sensitive to their contexts (as they are located in historic districts) and some even have upscale restaurants on the ground floor. Something like the current rendering of the Peacock would look horribly out of place in such locations. A Greenville developer (who does great work) is building one elsewhere in the state that I'm familiar with.

Sometimes buildings come out looking better than the renderings, and sometimes worse. Guess we'll have to wait and see which category the Peacock will fall into.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Gsupstate on this. I don't know HOW Holiday Inn Express got to build what they built downtown. It's definitely out of place.

Other than some of the parking being in front, I don't see a problem with the property. Given the odd shape of the lot, there might not have been a lot of choice on that either. Besides, did you ever see what it replaced? A very ugly ratty non-chain motel. HI Express was a huge improvement.

Besides, I think you like have to be smart to stay there or something. I think you only had to be desperate to stay at the place it replaced.

Other than some of the parking being in front, I don't see a problem with the property. Given the odd shape of the lot, there might not have been a lot of choice on that either. Besides, did you ever see what it replaced? A very ugly ratty non-chain motel. HI Express was a huge improvement.

Besides, I think you like have to be smart to stay there or something. I think you only had to be desperate to stay at the place it replaced.

I'm not saying we don't need it, or want it, I just don't know how the design passed the DPC. It's tacky for downtown, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no comment other than that this is flipping pitiful. The much less expensive Bookends look far more attractive than this building ever will. And to think that it is about to go up on Greenville's skyline - :sick: . As ugly as this design is, I am actually glad that it was reduced in height. Perhaps someday it will become less noticable. <_<

Alrighty then. Architecturally, I think it's trying to make the wrong kind of statement, and there are too many color clashes. I still don't like the base facade.

This can't be the same architect that came up with the original design.

Is it just me or does the Peacock look like something you would see in a movie from the 50's or 60's? Not a Greenville thing from that era but definitely a LA or Vegas thing from that era.

You think the outside is bad, wait till you see the inside!

http://www.lileks.com/institute/history/brochure/2.html

OK, how about we try to deconstruct this building. We've got blue glass. Is the purplish looking material actually brick? I can't tell. The right side panel (elevator shaft perhaps?) is probably brick. Is the middle panel that sandstone material that was discussed earlier? The base facade is the oversized block material. What about the green and gold paneling? And the paneling that the Peacock emblem fronts?

The design is just entirely too busy!

Thanks for the front elevation btoy!

I would have to agree with the other comments, ugh. I will be blown away if this design passes DPC, and severely disspapointed. This will add nothing to the downtown aesthetic and could do a great deal to undue all of the sucessful public relations amongst toursits we have had of late.

Who are we kidding though, all downtown projects are in a state of limbo apparently and I am actually happy, for a change, about that. Lets hope this one ends up somewhere in Dante's inferno instead of actually being built. I like the empty lot better.

Now that I have seen a rendering from a different view, I like it even less. :sick: I would like to see some "3D" views to get a better idea. Perhaps this will be one of those that looks a lot better in person, but this looks AWFUL! I too, believe I would rather see nothing than this. We have had an empty lot there for ever, and it wouldn't hurt to have one for a little while longer. Just fill the hole back in , and give us back our grassy lot! I really think we have been gyped on this one. There is nooo way this should still cost 60MM. What would have been wrong with a shorter version of the original? Absolutely no style or creativity.... I could go on... :rolleyes:

Hubble light didnt even cost that much and its way beter than this.

Is this the time for the beginning of some Greenville conspiracy theories? Could the Peacock actually be a facade for a Men in Black or Get Smart type CONTROL headquarters? Is that what the underground pipe and street workwork has really been about.

Is the Liberty Bridge really an antenna for communicating with our alien overlords?

:lol:

I'm not as familiar with the DPC process as some of you guys. This project is on the August agenda, so it's been reviewed by staff and given some kind of ok to go before the full committee in public. Right?

So tell me, is it generally true or just my perception that the staff phase seems to be where the really dramatic things happen -- where changes are mandated and construction schedules altered. Having passed that "test," do you think there's actually a chance that the DPC will do anything to put the brakes on this project? Especially considering who the developers are and the high-profile nature of the project... Because I agree with most of you; this design is either grossly misrepresented in the architect's rendering, or it's just plain homely.

I'm not sure I understand the negative reactions to this hotel.

It's just ugly. Too many color clashes, too many designs going into one building, etc. The Courtyard Marriott, which will be spectacular, gets everything right that this one gets wrong.

It's just ugly. Too many color clashes, too many designs going into one building, etc. The Courtyard Marriott, which will be spectacular, gets everything right that this one gets wrong.

Precisely my thinking, too. It looks like several buildings thrown into one. There's the base. Then a tower. Then a part that looks like an expansion of the tower.

The original redesign of the Peacock looked a heck of a lot better, though I'm sure it was just a result of early planning stages and not actually another design entirely. The only place downtown that I can think of that this building would be truly spectacular for and raise the appearance and feel of the area is the surroundings of the train station on West Washington. Or maybe that's just because no one would ever see it way down there..? Either way, not a good design for one of Greenville oldest streets and a prime piece of real estate.

One positive about the design, is I like how the building utilizes the entire parcel of land (from looking at the site plan)

Archived