CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

Construction has been delayed again because there has been another change of plans. There should be a press conference next week to announce the new plan...Greenville's first downtown Motel 6!

Any prediction as to the change of plans?

P.S. This is getting old. Last time they said cited results from their "market feasibility" study and used the "increasing construction costs" excuse. What will the excuse be this time? I suggest the following: "We are amateur wanna-be developers and thought we could pull this off, but in reality we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any prediction as to the change of plans?

P.S. This is getting old. Last time they said cited results from their "market feasibility" study and used the "increasing construction costs" excuse. What will the excuse be this time? I suggest the following: "We are amateur wanna-be developers and thought we could pull this off, but in reality we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into."

I understood it as he was kidding and hope that he was.

I am sure he was kidding about the Motel 6 part, but assumed that the redesign and press conference are legit. Was the entire thing a joke?!?

Entire thing was a joke.

There ARE actually workers on site today. I was by there about an hour ago. :thumbsup:

Cranes such as these are used quite frequently on construction sites of this nature and for the same reasons (to move materials from one location to another or to raise materials from the ground to higher levels). Accidents, although quite rare, can happen. I actually saw the aftermath of a tower crane that fell on a parking garage which was under construction at the University of Central Florida several years ago. It was not a pretty sight.

I should add that these cranes are typically very well anchored into the ground with concrete and that the soil in Central Florida (to put it mildly) isn't quite as dense as the soil here and I belive that was a contributing factor in that accident, if I recall correctly.

Thanks for your responses (esp. RestedTraveler - and glad to see you're a gator fan; my wife is too :thumbsup: ) on the tower crane (reassurance and caution). It has been helpful and I've done a little reading. It seems that the issues are primarily related to safety (operator, installation and maintenance) so we'll probably try to be sure that these areas will be adequately covered with some opportunity for review.

We have a meeting with the project manager Wednesday evening next week to hear a presentation and offer any comments and concerns. I believe that a city representative will be present and they have said they won't give final approval to the tower crane until all impacted parties have been heard from.

The meeting may give opportunity to see updated plans and ask other questions; I'll pass any new info along. If you have any questions that you would like for me to try to work in let me know.

So... has construction started?

I'm not sure what "construction started" entails. The hole is dug (and has been for some time) with gravel spread througout the site; equipment and materials are being gathered on the site. Just last week they installed some kind of concrete junction box next to the sidewalk on the Spring Street side and there was a two man survey team on the site; they have marked some spots running east-west in the center section of the hole.

I haven't yet found how to attach a picture or I'd send a couple along. Hope this answers your question.

I'm not sure what "construction started" entails. The hole is dug (and has been for some time) with gravel spread througout the site; equipment and materials are being gathered on the site. Just last week they installed some kind of concrete junction box next to the sidewalk on the Spring Street side and there was a two man survey team on the site; they have marked some spots running east-west in the center section of the hole.

I haven't yet found how to attach a picture or I'd send a couple along. Hope this answers your question.

Yea, thanks. It's at least progress over what was going on or had been done since I left. Keep us posted on the crane situation and when it starts rising! :shades:

Noticed in todays GV News that the intersection of McBee and Spring is about to be closed for a month, to complete the sewer work that has been going on. Seems this would be the perfect time (with low traffic in the area) for the crane to go up at The Peacock.

Bookends residents met with developers and city representative on Wednesday night. Many residents expressed strong oppositon to the positioning of the crane in relation to the Bookend building. The city representative stated that they would not approve a crane plan that did not satisfy the concerns of all impacted parties. Some alternatives were generally discussed and the developer is going back to explore other options.

Bookends residents met with developers and city representative on Wednesday night. Many residents expressed strong oppositon to the positioning of the crane in relation to the Bookend building. The city representative stated that they would not approve a crane plan that did not satisfy the concerns of all impacted parties. Some alternatives were generally discussed and the developer is going back to explore other options.

So that basically means that construction is going to be stalled, yes?

So that basically means that construction is going to be stalled, yes?

No, I don't think so... just a different placement for the crane or some other approach to materials delivery for the site. There didn't seem to be any expectation (definately not any intention) that this might cause a delay .

I talked to the superintendent today. I happened to catch him going into the staples grocery store. He told me that the crane plans have changed and that they have picked another spot. He didnt say where. When i said that it was a bummer that the building was shrunk down to 8 stories he told me it was going to be 9 stories. Do you think they added another floor to this?

I talked to the superintendent today. I happened to catch him going into the staples grocery store. He told me that the crane plans have changed and that they have picked another spot. He didnt say where. When i said that it was a bummer that the building was shrunk down to 8 stories he told me it was going to be 9 stories. Do you think they added another floor to this?

I don't know... nothing was mentioned about this Wednesday night.

Archived