CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm loving the fact that the CF branch that I frequent is right next to the construction site. So I get to see for myself at least once a week. Looks like the I going to say basement level since a lot of it is below street level is really taking shape. Some concrete stanchions have been poured and the steel for the walls, I say steel it's actually rebar don't want a heated debate on construction material :P, is up for the most part cant remember if it was all the way around yet. Definitely starting to take shape. Have to start making excuses to go to the bank every now. lol

• 2 weeks later...

So did anyone hear the announcement/update that was supposed to come out today, per the Journal? :dontknow:

WYFF had a story this evening at 6:00 - they showed renderings of the interior and gave an update on the # of suites/condos that have been sold and details on the spa treatments and rooms, etc.

Here is the update from Mark Kent (story from Greenville News). The Peacock is planning to be a member of Preferred Hotels!! :yahoo: Without a doubt, Preferred is the finest collection of luxury hotels worldwide. Check out the Preferred website and see the good company The Peacock will be in......the Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain in Phoenix and Boston Harbour Hotel in Boston to name a couple.

This will be the second Preferred Hotel in South Carolina, the other being the Sanctuary on Kiawah Island.

Excellent news! An instant tourist draw. :thumbsup:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../711130362/1003

http://www.preferredhotels.com/

Are the 'new renderings' any different from the most recently released renderings?

Slightly different, not much. There is a new sign up at the construction site that I walked by last night. The most obvious change is around the top two condo floors. The side walls around these two floor are now a band of white that match the bottom floors. A few other minor changes. For those that didn't like the look before, they still won't.

For those of us taking the wait and see approach, it's all going to be in the composition of materials and patterns, as well as external lighting, IMO.

Being a Preferred Hotel, it can be dog butt ugly and still be great. :lol::lol:

Yeah I think the new rendering looks better. I think this is one of those buildings that is going to look better in person than just being a drawing. Poinsett plaza in the background doesnt look much taller if any. I dont know if it is to scale though.

So do "we" like this hotel now?

I'm confused, have they redesigned it or not?

I saw the drawing briefly on the news last night. Really hard to tell by them because it still looks like a post modern 1960's structure to me. Speaking of post modern 60's rat pack look, has anyone been to Ruby Tuesday's lately? They went from the causual sports bar look to a Sinatra/Martin hangout look.

This is growing on me, too. It truly is hard to know exactly how it will look based solely on a rendering. As gsupstate said, it is difficult to appreciate textures, lighting, and surrounding structures at this point. But if they are going for five-star status and membership in Preferred Hotels and Resorts, it will be great.

I just showed this rendering to my wife for the first time and told her this is what they're building across the street from Jimmy Johns (we eat there fairly often). Her reaction: "It's ugly. There is nothing aesthetically pleasing whatsoever about that building."

She knows a good thing when she sees it (or not). I'm sure you'd agree. :thumbsup:

I think if a model were available, we'd have a better idea of what this would look like. But I surely cannot say that the rendering has grown on me at all. The original proposal was elegant and classy. I just don't understand how you can go from that to what's being proposed now.

I just showed this rendering to my wife for the first time and told her this is what they're building across the street from Jimmy Johns (we eat there fairly often). Her reaction: "It's ugly. There is nothing aesthetically pleasing whatsoever about that building."

Interesting.

I wonder how many people look at the outside of a hotel. As a business traveler, I can't tell what the outside of any hotels I stay in look like, however, I can sure tell you what the rooms and room features were like, the restaurants and the bars.

I'm looking forward to the renderings of the inside. That's where the rubber meets the road. ;)

I wonder how many people look at the outside of a hotel.

1) People who are staying there.

2) People who reside in the city where the hotel is located.

I doubt that people who will be staying there will refuse simply based on the architecture, but from my perspective, this won't be making much of an aesthetic contribution to the cityscape. This project could have truly had the best of both worlds.

I doubt that people who will be staying there will refuse simply based on the architecture..

You don't know my wife. She is definitely one that won't stay at a hotel if she doesn't like the appearance...or eat at a restaurant if she doesn't like it's appearance. That's where it ends though - she doesn't judge books by their covers other than hotels and restaurants....which is obvious since she's married to me. :P

Archived