CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

Design build typically splits the design up by discipline, do the site work first and then do the structure etc. You would really need to have designed the entire structural system before you start coming out of the ground. Not build the first floor structure and then design the rest of it. Sounds a bit like a smoke and mirrors story.

Well, definitely. But they said that they are waiting on financial stuff right now. And down the road the project may move slower because it's a design-build development. I don't think they're playing games at the this point. Everything they're saying is logical, whether it's true or not is a different story. Though structural work would definitely precede the interior finishings, etc.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^If you look at all the work they have done just getting the table set for the rest of the building to set on I would find it rather odd for it to be redesigned. They could still use the same footprint and just make it taller though. Hopefully that is what they are doing. A 12 story building should be going there but now it will probably go from a 8 story building to a 6 story building. ...lol

Here's a question -- actually, a couple of questions -- and I'm just curious to hear what everyone thinks: while we're in this holding pattern waiting for "financial challenges" to be resolved, what happens with the tower crane and the closed lane on McBee? I mean, that crane is surely costing the developers...but taking it down and putting it up again would also incur expenses (plus, I would think that taking it down would severely impact the already-sinking level of confidence in the project). So I'm curious if anyone has an idea what the developers' thought process would be in deciding how long to keep the crane just sitting there, unused, as it has been since Christmas. How long, do you think, before it's time to fish (re-start active construction) or cut bait (take the crane down)?

Second thing, about the lane closing. I imagine it's not costing the developers anything, but that's a downtown street that's been closed for almost a full year now. At what point does the City need to say, ok, if and when construction re-starts we'll close it again, but until then, we're opening it to traffic?

Here's a question -- actually, a couple of questions -- and I'm just curious to hear what everyone thinks: while we're in this holding pattern waiting for "financial challenges" to be resolved, what happens with the tower crane and the closed lane on McBee? I mean, that crane is surely costing the developers...but taking it down and putting it up again would also incur expenses (plus, I would think that taking it down would severely impact the already-sinking level of confidence in the project). So I'm curious if anyone has an idea what the developers' thought process would be in deciding how long to keep the crane just sitting there, unused, as it has been since Christmas. How long, do you think, before it's time to fish (re-start active construction) or cut bait (take the crane down)?

Second thing, about the lane closing. I imagine it's not costing the developers anything, but that's a downtown street that's been closed for almost a full year now. At what point does the City need to say, ok, if and when construction re-starts we'll close it again, but until then, we're opening it to traffic?

I can't help but wonder if DowntownCityGirl is really someone involved in the project. You know, since they have no idea what they are doing they signed onto UrbanPlanet to ask us what they should do. A real-world example of the UP effect in action, if you will. :lol:

Seriously, I know that is not the case and you are not involved with it, DowntownCityGirl. But given the obvious inexperience of the Peacock Hotel and Spa developers, I just couldn't resist! :)

I can't help but wonder if DowntownCityGirl is really someone involved in the project. You know, since they have no idea what they are doing they signed onto UrbanPlanet to ask us what they should do. A real-world example of the UP effect in action, if you will. :lol:

Seriously, I know that is not the case and you are not involved with it, DowntownCityGirl. But given the obvious inexperience of the Peacock Hotel and Spa developers, I just couldn't resist! :)

LOL! :ph34r::lol: No, I'm definitely not involved in the project, but it sure would be nice if someone who IS would share some real information...with us OR with the public. Living downtown, this is one project I see just about every single day, and the whole thing seems to make less and less sense.

And to your point about UPers offering useful advice and perspective, it sure couldn't hurt. There really may be Peacock people watching this thread as visitors, who would see what we have to share and at least consider it. Maybe. And in the meantime, it would be interesting. I'm still curious to hear what people think.

Noticed when I got back into town last night that the crane is turned and now hanging out over the building with Devereaux's, instead of the construction site and The Bookends. Looks like this will be the cranes temporary resting position.

The crane's position isn't fixed; it turns depending on the direction of the wind so that stress form the wind (trying to blow it over) is reduced.

As difficult as tower cranes are to come by, I'd think it's not going anywhere until this project is done. Check this story from GSA Business out.

I'm thinking with the Fed lowering interest rates, we'll seem some good progress this year on this and some other projects that have had slow progress. (Maybe delays on the Pinnacle on Main were for the best afterall?) While I have mixed feelings about the rate changes and tax rebates we have all been hearing about in the news, I can't help but think this will boost construction and development efforts.

Rates could drop to zero and it would not matter if the project numbers don't make sense and/or the borrower does not qualify for whatever reason. I am not saying that is what happened here. All I am saying is that it is not all about rate. Six months ago just about any person or any business could get credit. There was plenty of money to be borrowed. That is not the case now. I suspect the deal was already close with the bankers. Since the credit market has tightened, this project has been delayed. Quite frankly, until the credit markets get back to a more normal state, I don't see this project happening. I hope I am wrong.

The construction could start if the owners were fairly confident of financing. That means they would have to put their own funds in to start the project. That is the case in this situation. By the way, I am just gman, never nothing else.

The fence along McBee Ave has been moved to the back of the sidewalk (Wednesday) and the lane barriers were moved yesterday opening up the closed lane of McBee Ave. No change along Spring so apparently they will leave that sidewalk closed.

I've heard that it's likely to be at least August before things start again. There was a Channel 4 news crew setting up out there Thursday night but I never saw a broadcast.

The fence along McBee Ave has been moved to the back of the sidewalk (Wednesday) and the lane barriers were moved yesterday opening up the closed lane of McBee Ave. No change along Spring so apparently they will leave that sidewalk closed.

I've heard that it's likely to be at least August before things start again. There was a Channel 4 news crew setting up out there Thursday night but I never saw a broadcast.

What kind of effect does this have on what has already been built? Will the prolonged exposure to the elements cause problems?

...and perhaps that is if it starts back up at all. I certainly hope that the city takes this as (another) wake up call to err on the side of reason over pie-in-the-sky hopes of putting high rise buildings (TAFAB, Pinnacle, Court St, Peacock, and maybe most importantly the Gateway site) all over town despite questionable developers, uncertain economic conditions and plans that just don't always make a lot of sense. Considering a sometimes struggling retail environment downtown, increased competition outside of the city, and still enough open office space available for lease,I keep scratching my head at how some of these proposals will have a positive effect on the city . I think downtown needs to continue courting outside companies to invest there, focus on getting more affordable (i.e. condos under $700K) and continue adding anchor "destination" tenants such as museums, an improved Piazza de Bergamo, perhaps a carousel that could be replaced by an outdoor ice rink in the winter, an art-house type one or two screen movie theatre, and a big name bookstore.

What kind of effect will empty lots and half built buildings have on the city? I think tall buildings are pretty and exciting just as much as the next person, but not so much that I check logic at the door when I see the pretty design plans posted by the developers.

What kind of effect does this have on what has already been built? Will the prolonged exposure to the elements cause problems?

Mostly what has been done thus far is plumbing and concrete work, so I doubt there would be any problem due to prolonged exposure to the elements. There was a highrise tower that was constructed at the corner of Universal Boulevard (then named "Republic") and Sand Lake Road in Orlando during the early 1990's. The construction was steel-reinforced concrete and the structural work had been completed and topped out, but then money ran out and the building sat for several years without ever being dried-in. In the early 2000's, construction began again and it was finished and became the Crowne Plaza Hotel at 7800 Universal Boulevard.

Archived