CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that it's likely to be at least August before things start again. There was a Channel 4 news crew setting up out there Thursday night but I never saw a broadcast.

Man this is some B.S. Given the change of plans we have witnessed with this building in the past, we shouldn't be surprised. Are these developers clueless?

Man this is some B.S. Given the change of plans we have witnessed with this building in the past, we shouldn't be surprised. Are these developers clueless?

And until (if) they get things together, we have a huge, stalled construction site a block from Main Street, for all of Greenville's visitors and economic development prospects to see -- AND there's a giant crane towering over it, just to make sure no one misses it. What a great impression THAT makes.

I recognize that the developers and the City certainly didn't want or expect THIS situation, but Greenville has so much great stuff going on, I am just extraordinarily disappointed that this was allowed to happen. The empty lot was WAY better than this. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but come on.

The crane looks impressive on the skyline and shows growth, IMO. So, if people are truly visitors, then they'll never know that it's stalled and just see that construction is 'in progress'.

I'm really pulling for the developers. It's going to be great to have this completed, and it should be worth the wait if it's all it's been cracked up to be...

I Am not what it is about hotels, but the Poinsett had some financial problems during its renovations and delayed its completion the Embassy hotel at Verde had to stop construction for a extended time due to financial problems.

I am not sure but it also seem the Hyatt had some finance problems also during construction? :dontknow:

• 3 weeks later...

No activity on the site except for contractors coming in to remove some of their stuff. One day last week they took off the two large inverted cone shaped baskets used with the crane for pouring the concrete (sorry I don't know the terminology), several mid size storage boxes and one large walk in storage container, etc. Other than that the site is dead quiet.

I haven't heard any more news on the plans or financing. I haven't really inquired since my expectations are that it will be some time before economic conditions regarding this project change.

All of this makes me wonder if this project is actually feasible. We have had several big disappointments with this project since it was first announced. Following the awesome initial plans, we have seen the project scaled back, then delayed, and now put on hold. I am not willing to accept the fact that this merely the economy's fault, and that once things get better banks will loan these guys the money.

I have to wonder if this is a perfect time for these guys to cut their losses and sell the property. I might be wrong, but it doesn't seem like anything has been done to prevent another developer from picking up where these guys have left off. All they did was clean up some of the contaminated soil and rework some of the pipes, right? If so, someone else could easily step in with a different (better) proposal for the site...

Holder Properties, are you listening? What a grand entry this would allow you into the Greenville market! :)

I was told by one of the contractors working on this site that work would start back up in April.No specific date was announced but the contractor told me that they had worked out most of the issues holding the job up and things should happen soon.I don't know if this will happen as stated,but I figured I would post the information I recieved.

I was told by one of the contractors working on this site that work would start back up in April.No specific date was announced but the contractor told me that they had worked out most of the issues holding the job up and things should happen soon.I don't know if this will happen as stated,but I figured I would post the information I recieved.

Fantastic! I personally think that we may have found something worse than the new design... the unfinished reinforced concrete of the first floor. :P I hope this gets back on track soon! I really would like to see it complete.

Remember take the April date with a grain of salt,but the contractor seems to think the date should hold up.

I've heard April, August and -- no kidding -- "two or three years." I think they'll get it together eventually, but I won't believe it until I see it. In the meantime, it would sure be nice to have those McBee and Falls Street sidewalks back.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived