CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

Sheesh. It says it could be next year before financing is secured... Hopefully that's the 'realistic' or worst-case scenario picture and it will most likely be before that...? Oh well, as long as it gets complete, it will be a great addition to McBee Avenue, adding many more pedestrians, restaurant, and hotel rooms.

It is hard to believe that it could be at least another year before this gets cranked back up! I just don't get how they didn't have the financial backing when they started :dontknow::wacko:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calling the Peacock's bluff about further construction? If they can't come up with $14K for the sidewalk easement, can they really build the hotel? It's certainly a way for the city to be in good faith about the project while seeing just how committed the Peacock is to building anytime soon.

You know, while reading that article, I really did not see this as "calling a bluff," but you've got a point. If that's truly what the city is doing here, then it's not so crazy, I suppose.

Seems to add credibility to the possibility of it not happening unitl next year. :angry: Guys this one has really turned into a mess. I remember how excited we got when it was proposed in July of 06. Then it got delayed in Nov when it was to start. I can't help but think maybe the whole redesign thing was actually a case of the develpers realizing they couldn't deliver, then they decided to try a much scaled back and simpler design to save face, only to have it possibly fail anyway. And why did they bother to start the thing without financial backing? :dunno:

Seems to add credibility to the possibility of it not happening unitl next year. :angry: Guys this one has really turned into a mess. I remember how excited we got when it was proposed in July of 06. Then it got delayed in Nov when it was to start. I can't help but think maybe the whole redesign thing was actually a case of the develpers realizing they couldn't deliver, then they decided to try a much scaled back and simpler design to save face, only to have it possibly fail anyway. And why did they bother to start the thing without financial backing? :dunno:

Mark Kent's business ventures seem to be going well, no? At least last year's big news articles on him seem to make it seem so. He really ramped up the global vision and set the bar high for his companies to succeed. I haven't heard if is all working or not. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will take failure as an option.

I also remember them hiring on Mike Diamond on board for the project. He's one of the best in the business it seems and has had some real success stories in his wake. Personalities and finances are two different things, but I get the impression that the personalities driving this project will see it through.

Just a bystander observation.

Mark Kent's business ventures seem to be going well, no? At least last year's big news articles on him seem to make it seem so. He really ramped up the global vision and set the bar high for his companies to succeed. I haven't heard if is all working or not. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will take failure as an option.

I also remember them hiring on Mike Diamond on board for the project. He's one of the best in the business it seems and has had some real success stories in his wake. Personalities and finances are two different things, but I get the impression that the personalities driving this project will see it through.

Just a bystander observation.

I hope you are right. I realize it's easy for us to sit at our computers and be Monday morning quarterbacks, but the management of this project just seems very bush league. I remember when the project was first announced, and none of us knew it was coming. We were surprised. We were thrilled. The project looked like a winner for downtown Greenville.

Then as months turned into years, we started to wonder if we had been duped. There was a groundbreaking, then a delay. Then the building was redesigned and scaled back to something many of us were disappointed by. Then construction started. Then financing wasn't in place after all. I'm sure these guys have been successful in their business ventures to have the money and expertise to even plan something like this. But at times it just seems like they are in over their heads. I want to see the project happen, but I just don't know what to expect. Even last week, we heard a rumor that it would be starting up again only to hear that it might be another year. Just because the city is selling these developers a piece of land for outdoor dining doesn't mean the project is any closer to resuming.

Former poster g-man430 stated on another site yesterday that he has been in communication with John Holder (of Holder Properties in Atlanta), and that he received an email from him saying that he would be visiting Greenville next month to look at potential sites downtown for a development. Perhaps he could talk with the Peacock folks about acquiring their land...

Former poster g-man430 stated on another site yesterday that he has been in communication with John Holder (of Holder Properties in Atlanta), and that he received an email from him saying that he would be visiting Greenville next month to look at potential sites downtown for a development. Perhaps he could talk with the Peacock folks about acquiring their land...

:ph34r: Only if Holder does NOT continue with the plans and build the Peacock in its current design! If the Peacock can pull through, which I don't think is out of the question, then I'd like to see Holder develop the Main at McBee site. The 'average-ness' of the Peacock would make any building on the Main at McBee site really POP in the urban fabric! McBee Avenue would be headed for success if both of these sites can get developed with quality aspects at street level.

*whistle blows* There is a BS flag on the play *Annoucer*, remember this is the same guy who said they he contacted John Holder and that got a responce that they have no intrest in greenville at this time nor in the near future. :excl:

*whistle blows* There is a BS flag on the play *Annoucer*, remember this is the same guy who said they he contacted John Holder and that got a responce that they have no intrest in greenville at this time nor in the near future. :excl:

John Holder also said somewhere (The State maybe?) that the Greenville market didn't need his company because the market was being fulfilled by others. Meanwhile, several articles discussing the strong office market have come out in the Greenville News and have been sent to him. I think when Holder spoke about the market before, he really just didn't know it as well as he thought. I have no reason not to believe that Holder will be making a trip to Greenville. We'll see. Who knows? He could be the one to attract Fluor back to downtown Greenville! Now, THAT would be a large building! I think it'd be safe to go ahead a hand over the "State's Tallest" title. :shades:

:ph34r: Only if Holder does NOT continue with the plans and build the Peacock in its current design! If the Peacock can pull through, which I don't think is out of the question, then I'd like to see Holder develop the Main at McBee site. The 'average-ness' of the Peacock would make any building on the Main at McBee site really POP in the urban fabric! McBee Avenue would be headed for success if both of these sites can get developed with quality aspects at street level.

I agree with you about the location for a Holder tower. Main at McBee would be great, as would Main at Broad where the parking lot currently is across from The Greenville News. Either of those would be fantastic sites! :thumbsup:

I hope the Peacock happens, and want to think that it will. I suppose the economy is partly (or maybe even mostly) to blame, but it still seems like the project has not been managed as well as it could've been...

Just like I said before there is no way they will leave that up with the money its takes to rent one of those. I just hate that the site has to sit there with nothing going on when piers are already standing out there......

John Holder also said somewhere (The State maybe?) that the Greenville market didn't need his company because the market was being fulfilled by others. Meanwhile, several articles discussing the strong office market have come out in the Greenville News and have been sent to him. I think when Holder spoke about the market before, he really just didn't know it as well as he thought. I have no reason not to believe that Holder will be making a trip to Greenville. We'll see. Who knows? He could be the one to attract Fluor back to downtown Greenville! Now, THAT would be a large building! I think it'd be safe to go ahead a hand over the "State's Tallest" title. :shades:

Now how does "might make a visit to Greenville" become "building the state's tallest"? That is really a stretch, don't you think?

Now how does "might make a visit to Greenville" become "building the state's tallest"? That is really a stretch, don't you think?

It seems fairly self-explanatory to me.

I said that if Fluor were to ever move back downtown, it'd have the best potential to be the state's tallest. I was saying that maybe Holder could be the one who could convince them to come back instead of straddling I-385 with several buildings. Don't get so upset. Columbia isn't losing its title for the state's tallest, yet. We'll discuss that again when Greenville's new tallest (Gateway site) releases more details.

Mmmkay, couple of things. First, Holder said that he is making a visit to downtown Greenville in May to look at potential sites. Not "might." Second, GvilleSC was simply proposing an idea. He never said that it was guaranteed to happen.

Don't worry, we aren't trying to steal your favorite developer from you. After all, Holder himself recently suggested that Greenville is farther along in its downtown development than Columbia.

Mmmkay, couple of things. First, Holder said that he is making a visit to downtown Greenville in May to look at potential sites. Not "might." Second, GvilleSC was simply proposing an idea. He never said that it was guaranteed to happen.

Don't worry, we aren't trying to steal your favorite developer from you. After all, Holder himself recently suggested that Greenville is farther along in its downtown development than Columbia.

Actually, Holder said that he didn't see as many opportunities for development in Greenville as Columbia right now.

Actually, Holder said that he didn't see as many opportunities for development in Greenville as Columbia right now.
Actually those weren't his exact words, but they do fit your strategy well. I'll see if I can dig up the actual quote, just so everyone will be able to have a close look and evaluate what he meant. :thumbsup:

Archived