CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

Some of those are actually some pretty good ideas guys. I know it would never happen, but I would love for a local reporter to try and get a few answers out of theses guys; why was it really scaled back after groundbreaking, why was it started without financing, etc. I actually think Bob Ellis was smarter with his project, though we joke about his fake groundbreaking, at least he didn't start and have to stop like with teh Peacock.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness, I wish the Peacock folks would sell the land to Holder Properites. We know John Holder will be in Greenville this month to specifically look for opportunities downtown. We also know that Holder sees an opportunity and goes for it. Their projects happen, and they happen on schedule. The Peacock site is a great location, and would be perfect for a new highrise.

I don't see the Peacock happening anytime soon, if ever. They seem to be in over their heads. The question is, do they realize it themselves? Or are they hopeless dreamers? :dontknow:

Also in all seriousness. Kent is well respected. He runs a quality company that is a major supplier to St. John Knits (one of the worlds top brands). He is a good guy. :thumbsup: Development may be new for him, but I give this guy and his team the benefit of the doubt. I'm pulling for them to be successful. The last thing I want, is for some developer from another city to come in and buy the site. It would far better to see the home grown developer be successful, not some developer from Atlanta, as in the end, that gives Greenville much more power.

They have definitely had problems with this development and we can all speculate as to why. But does anyone really know? In the end, I want to see them successful.....the initial problems will make the success even sweeter.

Also in all seriousness. Kent is well respected. He runs a quality company that is a major supplier to St. John Knits (one of the worlds top brands). He is a good guy. :thumbsup: Development may be new for him, but I give this guy and his team the benefit of the doubt. I'm pulling for them to be successful. The last thing I want, is for some developer from another city to come in and buy the site. It would far better to see the home grown developer be successful, not some developer from Atlanta, as in the end, that gives Greenville much more power.

They have definitely had problems with this development and we can all speculate as to why. But does anyone really know? In the end, I want to see them successful.....the initial problems will make the success even sweeter.

Well said. Thanks for reminding us to stay positive and supportive. Sometimes its hard to do when we get excited over a project and frustrated when it falls on hard times.

First of all, I want to see the project happen too. It's a great project that will add something new and different to our downtown.

With that said, I don't think this is about being patient or giving these guys the benefit of the doubt. We gave them the benefit of the doubt when they had to scale back the project from the original plans. We gave them the benefit of the doubt when the revised renderings seemed disappointing. We even gave them the benefit of the doubt when construction took so long to get started. At what point are we justified in asking ourselves if these guys capable of making this happen?

Also, I think investment from out-of-state developers is a good thing. It shows that our city is taking the next step in its progression. :thumbsup:

First of all, I want to see the project happen too. It's a great project that will add something new and different to our downtown.

With that said, I don't think this is about being patient or giving these guys the benefit of the doubt. We gave them the benefit of the doubt when they had to scale back the project from the original plans. We gave them the benefit of the doubt when the revised renderings seemed disappointing. We even gave them the benefit of the doubt when construction took so long to get started. At what point are we justified in asking ourselves if these guys capable of making this happen?

Also, I think investment from out-of-state developers is a good thing. It shows that our city is taking the next step in its progression. :thumbsup:

I agree. We all want to see it happen. We can and will all make jokes about the site I'm sure. My main point was, I don't want to see it bought by an out of state developer. I don't give a rats patoot (there's a Southernism for you) about Holder. I want to see Greenville developers grow....to me that is the logical next step in Greenville's progression. Capable local development companies. That only adds strength to Greenville. Has this project been bungled? YES. Do I have questions? YES Could it have been done better? YES But at the end of the day, Kent is a good guy and he is local, so I'm pulling for him. I want to see the home team win. So given the choices of having a hotel built on site immediately by an out of state developer, or built on site by a local developer in a year, I'll take the local developer option. Will it happen? Who knows. It is a bet.

LOL.

Since Greenville has been known for turning lemons into lemonade, how about getting some mileage out of the site until it resumes construction or some mileage out of the site to help it get built.

- Create a futuristic Art Park.

So many possibilities.......... ;)

I had the exact same thought a few days ago. There is something uniquely attractive about a partially built structure with lush vegetation growing all over it, in my opinion. Call me crazy, but I would be all for something like this until the building can be finished. :shades:

Having out-of-state developers look into development opportunities in downtown Greenville cannot be considered anything other than good, just like having international businesses investing in the Greenville area is good. I can't think of any of the "boomtowns" that are having all of their developments spearheaded by local developers. But with that said, I think that Holder taking over the Peacock site would only slow down any development opportunities that might arise out of John Holder's visit, and in this type of business, time is money.

- Turn it into an outdoor skate park.

Not a bad idea, really...even if it's temporary. Greenville needs something like that anyways. Asheville has a small skate park downtown, and I can't remember exactly what street it's on, but it utilizes it's space reallly well. Greenville has a really good spot for a permanent one if nothing else is going there...across the street from Linky Stone Park under the Academy St bridge. I don't skate, by the way, but know people who do and they don't really enjoy having to leave the city to skate, and if they're not in a skate park they're being yelled at.

I think one thing to keep in mind is that we are in a unique economic period right now. Just two years ago, obtaining financing was a minor obstable compared to what it is today. Banks are avoiding any semblance of risk right now. This is not just a problem in Greenville, but across the country. Projects that are perceived to have elevated risk simply aren't getting funded.

What this means is that speculative projects and financed expansions are going to be much more difficult to accomplish.

Fortunately, the local market is still sound... people continue to move here, home appreciation is steady. Those projects that can get off the ground will likely be successful, but that is proving to be easier said than done. Fortunately, with real estate markets tanking across the country and our local market becoming one of the few that isn't, capital will be hitting this region hard, making the financing issue more of a short-term problem.

But it's still large-scale development and as such it can be a bit like herding cats. Entities don't invest in multi-million dollar projects without a lot of careful consideration.

• 1 month later...

I noticed on my way home from work this morning the crane is no longer on site, is this old news?

Read back through this thread a few pages. The cost of the crane sitting idle is the reason it was removed. Removed until this project starts back, which per the developers, should be start of 2009.

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the closing with the city for the land needed for outdoor dining, but don't expect anything to restart till 1Q 2009 at soonest.

Thanks for the update. This seems consistent with the most recent time line given.

Since we are having to wait on this one, I still wish they would revert back to the original 12-story proposal. That hotel would have been amazing!

• 1 month later...

There have been small trucks parked on the Peacock site every day this week, and I've seen a few men working but haven't been able to tell what's going on. Anyone happen to know?

I've seen some CWA Waste Corporation trucks there. I assume it's some environmental or maintenance issue. They seem to be working in the covered basement. There has been some work on one of the outside stair wells - hand brushing with some kind of wash then spackling with a concrete mix (or so it looks).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here's a link to a Gnews article about the project. Sounds like this could be a very long process, and the city will not take action for another three years if the site is not developed. :( Here comes our next green wall. :angry::sick:

I think they have had their chance. They should have known what they were getting into before construction began. I wish they would just clean up the spot and get out of town.

Archived