RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

I see today where the N&O is reporting that RBC plans to announce the details of their new tower today. I was thinking that we could start a new post on the specifics of the tower once it is announced. The other post was getting a little long and was "before-specifics' (i.e. B.S.) and this new post can be "after-specifics" (i.e. A.S.). The previous site was filled with some best guesses, worrying, speculation and uncertainty about the size and scope of this project and this one can be filled with certainty and how the new tower will look compared with the old convention center site development, etc. now that we are getting ready to learn some more specifics about the tower. I just thought it would be nice to have a break from the last posting about the RBC Tower and this was a good time to do it since I sense that we are getting ready to learn a little more in terms of specifics about this "roughly 28 story tower" in Raleigh. My two cents. By the way, why does it take until 2008 to build? How long did the Pyramids of Giza take to build?

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here it is...

http://www.newsobserver.com/100/story/374871.html

One of the tallest? :(

710,000 sq. ft! :)

There is that 29 story barrier I keep referring to...I'll have to look up exactly what stops all our buildings at 29 stories. 140 condos on the mall is a great stride for the city center. Cooper Cary designed the new Fayetteville Street and I liked what I saw from them. I will be curius to see how this whole thing looks.

There is that 29 story barrier I keep referring to...I'll have to look up exactly what stops all our buildings at 29 stories. 140 condos on the mall is a great stride for the city center. Cooper Cary designed the new Fayetteville Street and I liked what I saw from them. I will be curius to see how this whole thing looks.

Wachovia Capitol Center is 544,000 sq. ft. and this proposal is 166,000 sq. ft. more. I wonder why it is only 29 floors? There must be some rationale behind this. I was not aware that the city had a cap on heights. I am still thrilled and can't wait to see the rendering though.

Somebody, go get us a picture!

Got it ...

Building Rendering 1

Building Rendering 2

From the RBC Press Release...

The bank selected the Highwoods proposal because it is a mixed-use plan that includes an office tower that will substantively enhance the downtown skyline, a residential project that will appeal to people seeking an urban-living experience and an overall concept that will be a strong addition to the revitalization of downtown.

JB

newhq_Downtown-Skyline.jpg

newhq_East-Aerial.jpg

I have to admit...it looks pretty freakin' awesome!

It may not eclipse the others, but it fits in really well! Check out the new density. I would love to see the new skyline picture with the convention center and hotel in the foreground.

:yahoo:

Alright! It's great to finally see a rendering out there. I wish it was a bit taller, but I really like it. Almost looks like it has a pool or natural area up above the office tower part and next to the first floor of condos! Awesome!

I'm gonna go get a coffee at PCJ and check out the site...

Thanks for spotting that, jlblaes.

This is a somewhat understated design for a building that is actually quite large. It might have been nice if they went thinner and taller, but there's probably a reason for that. The tower may not be dramatic, but it is very modern and has a lot of glass. I approve ;)

In the rendering from the southwest, it actually looks more like two buildings instead of one. This contributes a lot to the impression of density on the Raleigh skyline.

Now that this one's out, let's hope that the floodgates come crashing open over the next few months. We're waiting for concrete proposals on sites 1 and 4, as well as an announcement from Reynolds. Wonder what else is waiting in the wings?

Archived