RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the rendering from the southwest, it actually looks more like two buildings instead of one. This contributes a lot to the impression of density on the Raleigh skyline.

Now that this one's out, let's hope that the floodgates come crashing open over the next few months. We're waiting for concrete proposals on sites 1 and 4, as well as an announcement from Reynolds. Wonder what else is waiting in the wings?

I think Reynolds has until Feb. 2006 to submit something. I heard he was talking about 2 developments, one 32 stories and another 15. Where are these lots at?

And that parking lot across the road from it should be next on someone's list for development.

Progress Energy owns nearly the entire city block there with ~4 acres (has Cooper's BBQ, old parking lot, vacant land, etc.) I'm sure they will do something big with this eventually. I remember talk of a mid-rise tower to complement 2 Progress Plaza, but that's a lot of land for 1 building. If you ask me, beyond the city's site 1, that is the best tract for mid-high rise development in DT right now. The other one that jumps out might be the corner of Hargett and Fayetteville, where the hallmark, the Chrsitian Science room, etc. are located. Bring it on...

While it isn't a new tallest, it will easily be our largest building downtown. Its about 170,000 sq ft larger than Wachovia. A lot of it will be enclosed parking, but still this is a pretty large building by Raleigh standards.

I'd be interested in knowing if there is some "29 story" barrier; a point at which you don't make as much of an economic return until you hit 40 stories or so? If such a thing exists its probably a matter of when you need to add in another elevator bank for higher floors, vs available floor space.

Progress Energy owns nearly the entire city block there with ~4 acres (has Cooper's BBQ, old parking lot, vacant land, etc.) I'm sure they will do something big with this eventually. I remember talk of a mid-rise tower to complement 2 Progress Plaza, but that's a lot of land for 1 building. If you ask me, beyond the city's site 1, that is the best tract for mid-high rise development in DT right now. The other one that jumps out might be the corner of Hargett and Fayetteville, where the hallmark, the Chrsitian Science room, etc. are located. Bring it on...

I do think that this announcement will be the catalyst to set other proposals into motion. The WRAL noon news said that a major grocery chain is looking into a downtown store. They will not announce it until tonight's news. All of these announcements add viability to the area. I bet Raleigh's skyline will look much different by the end of the decade.

The N&O story has it's own rendering pic in it. Not as impressive, but gives a view from Fayetville St. halfway up the west side of the 200 block (think Raleigh City Museum, but about 10 stories up).

Sooooo happy the "I hope"s and "it would be nice if"s have all been answered in a good way! Construction downtown is going to be crazy for years now, but 2008 is going to be an amazing year! Can't wait!

This thread is already on page 3! Wow!

Looking at those sample renders (which I really appreciate by the way, good find), I don't think we'll see any more ~30 floor towers on Fayetteville street in a very long time. It's too dense already.

I think if we're looking at future tower proposals, we'll see the tall buildings go on McDowell and Blount street, because that is where the big open lots are. This is a good thing though. With more infill on those streets, Raleigh can shake off its linear skyline image.

Looking at those sample renders (which I really appreciate by the way, good find), I don't think we'll see any more ~30 floor towers on Fayetteville street in a very long time. It's too dense already.

I think if we're looking at future tower proposals, we'll see the tall buildings go on McDowell and Blount street, because that is where the big open lots are. This is a good thing though. With more infill on those streets, Raleigh can shake off its linear skyline image.

Yeah, I've never been one to insist that ALL LARGE TOWERS GO TO FAYETTEVILLE STREET. In fact, I think that this one, and maybe one other (where the old Wachovia and that little FCB building are) would be plenty for the spine. I think Reynolds will work nicely on Hillsborough, and like you said, moving to McDowell and Blount are also great options. There are place between Wilmington and Blount now that would be great for a highrise.

It would be a good transitional to Glenwood South too (i.e. the Quorum). I agree that the density is already fulfilled on Fayetteville Street for the most part after looking at the renderings. If the new courthouse and N&O headquarters ever happen, I can see McDowell and Blount really opening up with development. It would make for a pretty good looking skyline. I still would like to see something happen with that Progress Energy lot east of the new RBC.

I think the blocks between Dawson and McDowell, what I call the Berkley block and the Kings block have nice topography for perching a highrise on...plus they are mostly parking lot. Would add depth to downtown too and link up Fayetteville to the warehouse district too.

That could have been the First Citizens tower. It would be nice if they came back downtown.

First Citizens really dropped the ball on downtown. While I agree that the North Hills area is nice, they would be better off selling that land for top dollar and reinvesting it in the city center they call home. The area is better suited for Class A midrise office space, residential and retail than a headquarters for a bank. It sounds like they have no intentions of relocating either.

Wow, these Canadiens seemed to have hit a home run on this one.

How accurate is that rendering compared to what will be built in reality? Pardon my ignorance, but does the design of the building have to be approved further, or so long as it meets our zoning/building code, they get the green light.

WOW!! The building looks awesome! It doesn't matter to me if it isnt that tallest because it just fits so well with the skyline. I love the modern design. Hopefully Fayetteville Street will turn out to be like Glenwood and wouldnt it be cool to live in one of those condos overlooking Fayetteville Street at night with people everywhere down the street in 2008.

Way to go RBC, come on Mr. Reynolds were waiting on you.....

The WRAL noon news said that a major grocery chain is looking into a downtown store.

I believe this will be the one we talked about last week in the Seaboard area (Logans area). ...but I'm all for surprises :)

BTW, I'm in on liking it, too. As y'all may remember, I was fearful they would waste that lot with a hidden 20 story building. (I like the Progress building, but am frustrated that you can't see it from anywhere). I agree, it looks like a pool plaza at the base of the condo portion.

The only potential downfall I see at this point is that it might look like we stacked a 10 story condo building on a 20 story office building. The two need to integrate really well. I really like the ascending element at the top with the prominent logo on its side.

This is an exciting day for us all!! I, too, am excited about Site 1 and Site 4. Would love to see Duke stay excited and develop somewhere between the convention center and the warehouse area. The Hargett/Jones spine is the next axis to develop. Let's go to it!!!

I believe this will be the one we talked about last week in the Seaboard area (Logans area). ...but I'm all for surprises :)

The one at Seaboard is an independant grocer. The news said a major chain. I feel for the independant if a chain like Harris Teeter moves to downtown.

Would love to see Duke stay excited and develop somewhere between the convention center and the warehouse area.

City Council authorized staff to continue negotiations with the original Site 1 team today. I'd love to see Duke and other developers make a rush on downtown, but I don't know that the economics are there for that just yet. My guess is that you'll see RBC and Site One, maybe a scaled-down Reynolds and that's about it for couple of years. Here's hopin they prove me wrong.

That said, the renderings look very cool, and I agree that all the glass will make the skyline light up really nicely, especially at night. It will be neat to see the "books" fill in between the "bookends" Overall a very nice addition to the downtown core!

So, also, I think the 29-story thing is a building code issue. Raleigh doesn't have a zoning-based height restriction to my knowledge. I think that the threshhold at which much more is required of the building structurally, so that one would have to go much taller to spread that cost over more space.

RE: major chain grocer downtown

I think the downtown market will be able to support the Seaboard/Logan independent store (if it specializes in organic, etc.) and a chain (like the Mini-Teeter in Charlotte). Cameron Village has Fresh Market, HT, and Figs and all seem to do well even though another HT is down Oberlin at Glenwood, and another "alternative" grocer is not that far away in the form of Whole Foods/Wellspring.

With the addition of Capitol Park/Pilot Mill residences, Oakwood/Mordecai that have only been served by Cameron Village or Wake Forest/Six Forks, plus all the condos opening soon, plus Carlton Place and the new Chavis Heights coming soon just east of downtown, there will be plenty of beds nearby!

I would like to see this on Progress Energy's Wilmington/Martin/Blount/Davie block, but if it's one of the retail tenants of the new RBC building, I won't complain! WRAL's website says nothing about a grocery store yet...

The new Progress tower is *very* impressive from the east and south, but "hides" in the views from the north and west. With its height and location on the Fayetville St. high ground, the new RBC tower should be visible from all directions. It is good that the RBC CEO feels "[Raleigh] is where we believe we have the best chance to grow."

That being said, I hope every new building doesn't feel like it has to have an aerodynamic "fin" -- Progress Energy's is just for the name and logo, but upon closer inspection, the RBC one might be a ballroom/open space? That would be cool.... If not, then a "rooftop bar on the ledge" (above the offices/below the condos) overlooking Fayetville Street (a la Ghost bar in the Palms Hotel in Las Vegas) would be super sweet.

Though the condo developer may be against this idea :(

All this *plus* whatever Captial Broadcasting ends up doing with their TV news operations and/or WRAL FM, etc.

Archived