RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess that the structure that they are building on top of the RBC Plaza building is for the RBC sign? It looks a bit flimsy? Without using concrete how are they going to hold this in place for those very, very, windy days? :huh:

You'd be surprised what Engineers can do with metal.

I guess that the structure that they are building on top of the RBC Plaza building is for the RBC sign? It looks a bit flimsy? Without using concrete how are they going to hold this in place for those very, very, windy days? :huh:

They are built that way so they have some flex and room to expand and contract. If it was too rigid, it would eventually break off. Highrises are built the same way, ever look closely on a windy day and notice that they appear to sway slightly?

Here is a small article on buildings swaying and "giving" to wind that uses the CN Tower and Empire State Building as examples:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msway.html

Its just as strong as the concrete structure beneath it but lighter and more expensive. Reinforced concrete is used everywhere because it strong and cheap and has building flexibility without all those trusses in the way.

Unlike the Marriott and 222 Glenwood, I am actually pretty pleased with how this building is turning out. Sure, it's not a very innovative design, but I think it will have an understated (dare I say) elegance, appropriate for the new tallest building with a prominent address on Fayetteville St. At the very least, it's big improvement over One Wachovia or Two Hannover.

It appears the tower pedestal is complete and I've seen crews welding the crown together over on the Edison block staging area, so it can't be too long before the crown goes up.

The view of RBC is great coming in from the 64 bi-pass. Can't wait until it is finished!

Another impressive (and surprising) view is if you're coming down Hillsborough Street from NCSU. Around the time you pass the Bell Tower to about the Brownstone, you get a reallly nice view of it poking above the treeline. :)

Thanks for the updates. Great looking high-rise tower! :thumbsup: Raleigh's skyline is going to another level with this project!

I only wish my city would come out of it's shell and build something this height! But already having the U.S.Tallest Capitol might not help??

I can't believe I'm the first to say it, but THEY ARE PUTTING UP THE SPIRE AS WE SPEAK!!!!!!!

I drove into downtown this morning at about 2 for mock trial practice (my team is going to nationals!) and I saw that they had put up the first quarter of the pyramid on the top. It looks soooooo good and it makes it look A LOT taller. I would say go downtown in the next couple days to see it. It's really impressive. Sorry I don't have any pictures to put up....

It's looking so awesome!

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

The crown is above the treeline from my porch on East Hargett, but not at street level until you get past the YWCA.

I haven't been on East Martin yet, but am sure it will be quite visible from the Swain Street ridge, if not further east.

All this *before* the spire goes on top! I'd be happy with just the peak, but not sure if it wins the "tallest" ego contest without the spire.

I was driving down New Bern ave yesterday as well as 440 on the northend, and the crown really makes a huge difference on how tall the buidling looks. I can't wait until they get the spire in place, to see how much of an affect that has in addition. I would have taken a few pics, but my camera's broken. I'll try to get a few from those vantage points soon.

I had that same thought from the Beltline at Wake forest road. What's cool about it is that you can't really tell that it is a Texas panhandle-type attachment to any one of the buildings. It just looks like a Big Ben sticking out of the cluster on a hazy day.

Archived