RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

RE: major chain grocer downtown

I think the downtown market will be able to support the Seaboard/Logan independent store (if it specializes in organic, etc.) and a chain (like the Mini-Teeter in Charlotte). Cameron Village has Fresh Market, HT, and Figs and all seem to do well even though another HT is down Oberlin at Glenwood, and another "alternative" grocer is not that far away in the form of Whole Foods/Wellspring.

With the addition of Capitol Park/Pilot Mill residences, Oakwood/Mordecai that have only been served by Cameron Village or Wake Forest/Six Forks, plus all the condos opening soon, plus Carlton Place and the new Chavis Heights coming soon just east of downtown, there will be plenty of beds nearby!

I would like to see this on Progress Energy's Wilmington/Martin/Blount/Davie block, but if it's one of the retail tenants of the new RBC building, I won't complain! WRAL's website says nothing about a grocery store yet...

I too think this is the best space for a chain grocery. With 140 condos at RBC and 180 at Site 1 plus 64 at Palladium and 52 (I think) at Hudson, plus Founders Row, Person Pointe and New Bern Place (about 50 total) existing you will have the critical mass to support such a store. (Glenwood south grocery business would likely be split between downtown and CV) Bring it up to 12 stories with parking/office/residential and you have a nice looking block.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems too be. Plus don't forget about Dorthea Dix campus there are plans to build 2 10 story residential and mixed use buildings there also to go with the tranformation of that area. I still say they should build an aquarium. Look at atlanta and all the publicity they are getting from the Georgia Aquarium. Raleigh just needs something to make it a "MUST SEE" Place. Something different and unique.

The WRAL story on the Seaboard grocery store getting a low-interest loan also states:

The owner of the new store, which is part of the Seaboard Station Development Project, is also committing to a satellite location in the center of downtown when a suitable space becomes available.

Not sure what the timetable is for this or what counts as "suitable space" but this is quite good news!

Seaboard gets its anchor tenant grocer *and* the "heart" of downtown gets a location too! Maybe they could end up as a tenant in the RBC tower?

First impresssion...I like it.

I wish it incorporated some sort of rooftop experience for visitors, like lots of big city tallest buildings have lookouts on the top floor. It appears in the rendering that the very top (where the RBC logo is located) is the top of an elevator shaft.

***What would be freakin awesome is if you could see out of the elevator onto Fayetteville St. as you road upwards.

I embrace the long-awaited arrival of this project as a big fan of DT Raleigh but I see a striking resemblence/morph with progress 1 and progress 2 -- They took the 20 story Progress 1 and added the top 10 stories of Progress 2 to make the RBC tower--

I have to admit that DT was in desperate need of glass somewhere and RBC will deliver that -- as well as another jewel in the night sky when aluminated!

I envisioned the Buckhead Grand (Tower Place) in Buckhead to be a perfect fit for this site---

-- all in all something is better than nothing -- kiss the infamous bookends goodbye in '08

http://www.rbccentura.com/images/newhq_Downtown-Skyline.jpg

http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt...ew-saunders.jpg

If someone could put these two photos together to see how the skyline will look in 2008 - 2010 with the new convention center. I'm not good at thoes photo editors. Remember there will be a new Mariott and a new court house in the skyline also.

I see I do not spell well also, (those)

Sorry

What if...

I can't help but think that this tower looks forced. Having its only setback 2/3 of the way up at 19 stories just doesn't feel right.

Imagine what it would look like with 15 stories of condos on top instead of 10 (34 stories total)...

rbc_34stories.jpg

Or with 20 (39 total)...

rbc_39stories.jpg

...Or, 19 stories of condos (38 total) seen from the east:

rbc_38stories.jpg

In my opinion, that makes for a much more balanced, natural appearance. So much so that I could believe Cooper Carry originally designed this as a ~40 story building until some accountant or economist buried behind some desk somewhere struck the developers with a "can't-do" attitude, telling them that there's no demand for so many condos in Raleigh.

But the truth is, adding 9 or 10 more floors - changing nothing else - turns this project from "a good concept but mediocre execution" to a drop-dead stunning tower. That alone might drive demand enough to sell twice as many condos.

Just wild speculation, of course.

I am so stoked! I can't wait to see all of the cranes in dt -- one for this building, one for the Marriott hotel, one for Site 1, one for the convention center, hopefully one for Reynolds, one for the new courthouse, one for the N&O's new HQ (has anyone got more info on this?).

Orulz, your "what if" is definately intriguing, and yes it would be awesome if they tacked just 5 more floors of condos on top to give the center of our downtown its tallest building. It would make for a nice peak between Wachovia and BB&T.

That being said, this is so much better than the 15 stories that we were once so weary of getting from RBC, and definately better than it being on Site 1 where it would be too crowded together with Progress and BB&T. I was really expecting less in height from RBC, so I am pleasantly surprised.

I LOVE the glassy style and the sleakness of the building. Raleigh has way too much drab grey and white and boring design downtown. I do wonder whether this will end up being a similar shade of glass as the Wachovia building. Is it just the rendering that makes it seem a lighter shade and therefore stick out more from the other buildings?

That looks too junky HAHA... Seriously though, I dont think the convention center will dominate the foreground that much. The original folks who created that rendering over-did it a bit.

That's a relief. That convention center makes the big 3 towers look 10-15 stories tall.

The N&O article from today said, "Doherty said final designs may call for an additional story or two to make RBC's the tallest building downtown," so we may see more than 9 stories of condos. I suspect this will be driven by pre-sales. If anyone is in the market or knows a friend in the market, spread the word! We need these condos so sell out!

I will admit I'm not a big fan of the shape of the building. If it were all-glass, it would look a lot better. The RBC logo on top could be done a lot better. It has too much of a Best Western feel, the way the renders show it.

If it winds up being Raleigh's 2nd tallest, it needs a better crown than that.

Anyone see the rendering on the front page of the N&O. I don't really see, from a construction standpoint, how they are going to outline the building in red. Must be their Christmas neon lighting effect. :rofl:

I haven't seen that one...will have to check it out.

I know the N&O used to have a link to the front page of the current day's paper (PDF) from their site, but I can't find it today.

Archived