RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe this is really happening. And it sounds like there may be some improvements when the final design is complete. We will probably need to re-evaluate the "money shot" in 2008 once many of our new projects have recreated downtown. I've always thought the view from the east looked great and the new RBC tower and Progress II should impove that tremendously. Go Raleigh!!!

The N&O article from today said, "Doherty said final designs may call for an additional story or two to make RBC's the tallest building downtown."

Wasn't there talk of Capital Broadcasting moving to RBC HQ and out of there old site on Hillsborough St? I think they wanted to have a big WRAL on street studio on Fayetteville St. That, or RBC's accountant, Deloitte & Touche, could potentially move in and cause them to rethink the office space too. :)

Downtown Raleigh is larger and more dense than Winston Salem's. RBC Centura's building will certainly underline that, but I think a lot of people will still like Winston's architectural diversity more. Winston just managed to get exactly the right things in exactly the right places. Charlotte did the same.

We will have the tallest building outside of Charlotte, but that's nothing to be proud of, since it won't be downtown.

I just got a chance to read the N&O article this afternoon and saw that they may still add a couple of floors to push it above the BB&T tower. That is really cool to think about. I agree that it looks like this building was designed to exceed the nine floors of condos and got cut back. I think just 5 more floors would really sweeten its look.

With regards to the logo...I like it. It certainly stands out and your eye is drawn to the top of it. I'm sure that RBC likes this ala the arena.

I also like the fact that the condos will be starting from $180K. This is more affordable than some of the current condos proposed. This will probably help demand and could push the project higher. If it doesn't, I am still happy with the outcome.

I now hope the Reynolds' project will not evaporate with the RBC proposal. Downtown will look awesome with another 29+ tower. Reynold's was looking for another corporate tenant. I wonder what companies are considering a relocation? Maybe Duke will join forces with Ted to create a masterpiece.

Boy I sure am glad this proposal was finally announced. It helps to add some tangibility to all the development downtown as well as excitement!

In the N&O, Duke said they probably wouldn't build in DT Raleigh for a few years due to market conditions--too much office space coming online at once.

If this is truely the case, do you think that Reynolds will lose his property? I think he has until February to come up with something. He may just build to the market (i.e. 8 story condo)? If it were you, would you build small enough to get a ROI or release the property?

If this is truely the case, do you think that Reynolds will lose his property? I think he has until February to come up with something. He may just build to the market (i.e. 8 story condo)? If it were you, would you build small enough to get a ROI or release the property?

Good question. I would think he'd need to lure a brand new office and hotel tenant to DT to get it done at the scale that has been discussed. The hotel element is one that's not present in any of the other projects except the RCC Marriott (the site 4 boutique hotel I think would be unique). Reynolds is better positioned closer to Glenwood South, TTA, and the warehouse district. We'll see what happens soon enough. I bet we don't hear anything until after the new year.

hopefully, this thing will get pushed up a few more stories. The design is nice, but it is not signature to me. It looks like a lot of the buildings already there, like the lower portion and progress plaza, and the shape and 2 progress plaza. i am hoping that the final design will be slimmed down and made taller. Still, this is a great step for raleigh to take. Reynolds where are you?

Having more businesses DT esp such as RBC and such can only be a great thing. Look at what BofA and Wachovia have contributed towards Charlotte's culture amenities.

One thing to note... The banks were responsible for Charlotte's success... But, it wasn't the towers that brought the cultural amenities back into uptown. In fact it was the towers that helped to drive it out (much as the towers did in downtown Manhattan). It was really the midrise Gateway Village that got the ball rolling in Charlotte.

I am curious about the construction quaility of the cheaper condos. I am wondering if the party walls, floors and ceilings will be sound proof (i.e Bass). I would love to live there but don't want to bother my neighbors.

I got a compliant last week for playing computer speakers (no subwoofer) too loud from 6 PM to 6:45 PM.

I am curious about the construction quaility of the cheaper condos. I am wondering if the party walls, floors and ceilings will be sound proof (i.e Bass). I would love to live there but don't want to bother my neighbors.

I got a compliant last week for playing computer speakers (no subwoofer) too loud from 6 PM to 6:45 PM.

Getting an acceptable sound transfer coefficient (STC) should have little to do with the price in a building this size. The Hudson, which I recently toured, did it correctly with two layers of gypsum, studs, another layer, 3/8 inch air space, gypsum layer, studs, two more gypsum layers. (follow that?). This rating should be in mid to upper fifties which is ideal in residential construction. A rating in the mid thirties has normal conversation audible through walls. Where I live the wall construction has a rating of mid forties where moving furniture and walking high-heels can be heard but conversation is muffled...technique was two gypsum layers, a 2x6 base stud with every other 2x4 wall stud supporting my unit and two more layers of gypsum. No air space. If you price wall board at Lowes and figure in a few days labor, it could not add more than a couple thousand dollars to the price of a condo. But its an easy place for a developer to cut corners because most people have no knowledge of how wall ratings work and once the walls are up you can't see whats inside them.

Archived