RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ sounds good to me

Once a Raleighite - always a Raleighite :D

Thank you Justin...I grew up there and spent my first 21 years of existance there. then moved to California for 17 years and made it back east 2 years ago to Richmond. Raleigh is and always will be my favorite city in the world and It has been a real pleasure watching it grow from almost nothing to what it is today since 1966.

soooooooo........who's going to actually buy one of these condos?

I don't think I could buy one of these condos, but whoever does will have the best views in North Carolina outside of Charlotte.

This tower is the beginning of bigger and better things for Raleigh. Does anyone know if RBC Centura is listed in the Fortune 500?

I don't think so. Only companies headquartered in the United States are that list. Royal Bank of Canada is the parent company of RBC Centura and is headquartered in Toronto so I don't think we will get to add a Fortune 500 company to our list. Hopefully this move will draw attention to DT Raleigh for other companies looking to relocate.

I don't think so. Only companies headquartered in the United States are that list. Royal Bank of Canada is the parent company of RBC Centura and is headquartered in Toronto so I don't think we will get to add a Fortune 500 company to our list. Hopefully this move will draw attention to DT Raleigh for other companies looking to relocate.

The Royal Bank of Canada, which owns RBC Centura is ranked #135 on the Global 500 list. This is Fortune's ranking for Global companies. They also rank 59th is asset size for all banks based on the site below.

http://www.rbcprivatebanking.com/about-us.html

http://onlinebankingreport.com/resources/100.html

Interesting note: on the second site, the State Employee's Credit Union in Raleigh is 57th and First Citizens of Raleigh is 56th.

Am I the only person who's disappointed? IMHO - and I preface this by saying I love Raleigh - the design appears to rip off design elements from the (old and new) Progress Energy buildings - which are independently quite nice but mashed together as this building seems to be, more than just a couple of pegs lower than what Raleigh deserves. This building is boring folks - more deserving of a city on the downslope. Given Raleigh's (NCSU School of Design's) indispensible role in the emergence of Modern architecture, Raleigh deserves something significantly more unique and exciting.

Am I the only person who's disappointed? IMHO - and I preface this by saying I love Raleigh - the design appears to rip off design elements from the (old and new) Progress Energy buildings - which are independently quite nice but mashed together as this building seems to be, more than just a couple of pegs lower than what Raleigh deserves. This building is boring folks - more deserving of a city on the downslope. Given Raleigh's (NCSU School of Design's) indispensible role in the emergence of Modern architecture, Raleigh deserves something significantly more unique and exciting.

I'm sorry but I like it, and I dont think its boring at all. Though it could be taller, it is alot better than the much talked about 15-story building they were going to locate downtown. Plus I think it is going to add alot to Fayetteville Street. It will fill in the gap between the capital building and the bti center/convention center(the bookends). I think the design could of been alot worse and frankly I was expecting alot worse. I did not think it was going to be as dense as it was, and I did not think there was going to be as many residential units as there was. That is the great thing about it is how many new residents this will add to downtown( Fayetteville Street). Just my opinion...

When I first saw the proposal I was thrilled. I was hoping for a tall building, but with all of the speculation and rumors floating around for a 15-story tower I started to believe them. After looking at it now for a couple of weeks, the newness has worn off and I still like the building. I would like to have seen the building thin out a little lower down to give it a more slender appearance. At over 700,000 square feet, I guess this is not an option unless they add more floors.

Architecturally, it is not the best I've seen. I think I still like Hanover II's lines a little more, but I think this building is exactly what Raleigh needs. It will fill in a glaring gap in our skyline. Personally, I think the views from the west will look the best. One of my first comments on the design after first looking at it was how similar it looked to Progress Energy. I hope that this will not be a trend with all new highrises. One more note...I like the glass!

My biggest concern has been that it looks kind of like a glassy Progress I (formerly Center Plaza) with a 10-story condo building stuck on the top. From the other projections I've seen (can't remember where), the first 20 stories have a fairly significant stair step on the south face, which makes the top 10 floors look like another step. I still like it, and have little respect for NCSU's Design school. If they are so great, why does their campus have such rotten architecture?

I'm pretty sure the architectural school isn't in charge of designing new buildings for the campus, if that were the case, I'm sure it would have more daring designs. It is a state run school, I'm sure the designs of the buildings were for efficiency and cost factors more than anything.

NCSU's design school, in its heyday especially, was one of the top architectural schools in the country. Dorton Arena, for example, was designed by the Dean of the design school at the time, I believe. It, to this day, wins awards for its innovative design.

My biggest concern has been that it looks kind of like a glassy Progress I (formerly Center Plaza) with a 10-story condo building stuck on the top. From the other projections I've seen (can't remember where), the first 20 stories have a fairly significant stair step on the south face, which makes the top 10 floors look like another step.

I agree. I like it ok, but wish that (1) it was taller, because I think the design looks a little squat right now; and (2) it was less Carolina blue-looking. Still, the amount of glass is a postive, and overall it'll be a good addition to the street.

I still like it, and have little respect for NCSU's Design school. If they are so great, why does their campus have such rotten architecture?

Um... let's see. Because most of the buildings on state's campus pre-date the formation of the design school; because the design school is a small part of an otherwise engineering and agricultural focused institution, because it's a land grant university and they typically have functional, rather than ornate buildings.... should i go on?

Archived