Hypothetical market crash

Carter711

First a preemptive knock on wood before I say to imagine that the real estate market crashes (furiously knock on wood!) We're not saying it slows down, or crests, or dips - we're talking nosedives like Bush's poll numbers, crashes like patrick kennedy on the wkends - just grinds to a halt faster than britney spears' movie career.

Out of the ashes, only two of the literally dozens of projects that are under construction or proposed for Providence move forward to completion.

Which two Providence projects, either planned or under construction, would you most like to see successfully completed?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First a preemptive knock on wood before I say to imagine that the real estate market crashes (furiously knock on wood!) We're not saying it slows down, or crests, or dips - we're talking nosedives like Bush's poll numbers, crashes like patrick kennedy on the wkends - just grinds to a halt faster than britney spears' movie career.

Out of the ashes, only two of the literally dozens of projects that are under construction or proposed for Providence move forward to completion.

Which two Providence projects, either planned or under construction, would you most like to see successfully completed?

That's easy, the Westin and Waterplace, since they already started both.

OneTen Westminster becuase it's pretty.

Empire @ Broadway because I want a pretty glass tower.

BTW, talked to my friend Joe who works in the Citizens Bank management and he pleaded no comment when I asked him about a new Citizens skyscraper downcity, while I was there doing yardwork. I wonder how I should interpret that..........

BTW, talked to my friend Joe who works in the Citizens Bank management and he pleaded no comment when I asked him about a new Citizens skyscraper downcity

:ph34r: Hmmmm Well at least he didn't say there are no plans for a tower. Maybe it means that their headquarters are leaving the city. Scotland makes the call.

It's hard to answer the question. If the market halts, then building the big projects just means renovated empty buildings, right? I think I have to go with Westin II and Waterplace because having half built shells lying around the city would suck. Make Waterplace more affordable by cutting up the spaces a little more, and by using cheaper materials and not offering all of the services. Westin II would stop at 14 floors or so and just be a hotel.

I hate questions like this... I'm going to assume everything under construction already is going to get finished so I won't include them.

Of the projects proposed with no steel in the air yet, I'd say the two are the most important...

1) Grant's Block

2) E@B

Why? Well, if Capitol Center's projects finish (WII, Waterplace, G-Tech), then even without anything else, CC is pretty much nicely fleshed out for the forseeable future.

110, if it doesn't happen (and of course I want to see it badly), in my opinion doesn't make or break anything really. Something else much shorter could go in that space and still successfully build the streetscape and neighborhood.

I really think the entire city, the entire metro, in the end needs Downcity to succeed badly. The renaissance will never be considered complete, Providence never considered having "arrived" and being mature as an urban area (an "urban gem" as Jerry put it) unless the "W streets" come fully back and make it. Grant's Block, whatever it becomes, has the potential to be the beating heart of that entire neighborhood, and its parking and whatever it chooses for retail may make or break Westminster and Weybosset and E@B will also bring critical parking, critical retail, critical new office space, and sit in a critical place.

- Garris

Oh, BTW: Project I want to see happen most? Capitol Cove, just because it's been in play for so long, because it fills a big hole in that part of the city, and because it's a great location.

Archived