What Columbia is doing right & what can be improved upon

krazeeboi

I'm glad to see this kind of thing happening in Columbia. Housing is one of those issues that can be hard to talk about, but it literally effects everyone. I'm glad to see tha Columbia is looking at this type of thing. Its important for people to be able to seeliving in the City as an advantage and not a disadvantage.

Exactly! The more people we have living in the city, the more the need for public tranportation, housing and retail. THEN comes light (or heavy) rail and our much wanted high rise buildings.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that yesterday, and thought it was kind of hit and miss.

I think a lot of the younger crowd has a 'Columbia sucks' mentality. i know I did when I was college and post college age. But after traveling about, and seeing what other places had to offer, I came to the conclusion that Columbia was really a great, and under-rated place. I really kinda like the fact that Columbia is under-rated. I think it adds to columbia's laid back attitude.

One of the things I never liked about Columbia and Richland County were the politics. That's why I live across the river; I can take advantage of the city and not be upset with my local officials.

Ive never been to Seattle, but I have never thought of it as cool. To read this article you almost get the impression that Columbia's coolness can be summed up by 3 things: weather, yankees, and USC.

I think that the perception by younger kinds growing up there is tied to growing up in large subdivisions where there is nothing to do, and as a kid you are reliant on your parents to haul you around. I am convinced that this is partially why kids tend to hate where they grew up until they move away and appreciate what they had.

USC is far an away Columbia's #1 asset on multiple levels. It gives the city an infusion of energy in many different that would not likely exist otherwise. Well, that and state government as a primary industry.

Ive never been to Seattle, but I have never thought of it as cool. To read this article you almost get the impression that Columbia's coolness can be summed up by 3 things: weather, yankees, and USC.

I also think much is made of the arts scene and geographical location, which includes recreational opportunities.

• 3 weeks later...

I think one thing which Columbia is doing slightly better than mediocre (but not much more) is public transportation. Yes, a bus system exists in Columbia, but many buses only run every thirty minutes or "at peak times." If Columbia truly wants a viable downtown; if Columbia wants to attract the creative class; and if Columbia wants affordable housing downtown to be relevant to people who actually need affordable housing, then it needs a better transportation system.

That's the biggest thing which I think Columbia could improve that isn't being focused on. Columbia is focusing on so many good and worthy projects, but I think they should pay a bit more attention to the future of public transportation and look beyond just buses. There are a lot of train tracks throughout the metro area. Someday we might be able to support a tram system. Someday...

I've read about a commuter rail system that might be up and running in 10-15 years (which is fine) that could go from areas such as Camden or Lexington to downtown Columbia, but I haven't read anything about an inner-city tram system. When you look at a map, train tracks go from downtown to all the big areas: to the Zoo, to Irmo and Harbison, NE and Sandhills, almost to the airport... the tracks go the right places already. Anybody read anything about a tram system being talked about and/or planned?

Columbia is missing a grand opportunity in not installing bike lanes on the streetscaped streets. Charlotte is reconfiguring a lot of its streets, installing planted medians and pedestrian crossings, resurfacing them, and designating bike lanes, and they look great. Several streets could use this in Columbia. It's not a full fledged streetscaping, so it wouldn't be as disruptive to normal traffic flow if done on certain streets in Columbia.

Columbia is missing a grand opportunity in not installing bike lanes on the streetscaped streets. Charlotte is reconfiguring a lot of its streets, installing planted medians and pedestrian crossings, resurfacing them, and designating bike lanes, and they look great. Several streets could use this in Columbia. It's not a full fledged streetscaping, so it wouldn't be as disruptive to normal traffic flow if done on certain streets in Columbia.

Harden Street now has bike lanes and Trenholm Road was recently given some bike lanes, too. I think Lady is probably too narrow, but it would be nice to see them on Gervais and Assembly.

I think one thing which Columbia is doing slightly better than mediocre (but not much more) is public transportation. Yes, a bus system exists in Columbia, but many buses only run every thirty minutes or "at peak times." If Columbia truly wants a viable downtown; if Columbia wants to attract the creative class; and if Columbia wants affordable housing downtown to be relevant to people who actually need affordable housing, then it needs a better transportation system.

That's the biggest thing which I think Columbia could improve that isn't being focused on. Columbia is focusing on so many good and worthy projects, but I think they should pay a bit more attention to the future of public transportation and look beyond just buses. There are a lot of train tracks throughout the metro area. Someday we might be able to support a tram system. Someday...

I agree 100% Though I should add- 30 minute frequencies are considered good for a bus system like Columbia's. The problem is that it doesn't consistantly run every 30 minutes- it only does that on some routes during peak times. It runs generally once an hour from most locations. It also doesn't run at night- a major problem if you want to go downtown for the evening. If the City could find a way to run the bus routes every 30 minutes all day every day then it would greaty limprove. The problem is that it all comes down to money, and people in Columbia don't appear to be willing to bite the bullet and agree to pay for a bigger better bus system.

• 4 weeks later...

Kevin Fisher, editorialist with the Free Times, tackles city council's misuse of the water/sewer fund in this week's City Watch editorial. He also mentions some of the other problems we've discussed in this thread.

He's still sore about getting almost no support in the most recent mayoral election.

^That may be true, but you still can't discount what he's saying. He probably would have won if he could have articulated a comprehensive vision for the city's future, which is where Coble excelled. Seems like we can never get the right combination for leadership in this state.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived