What Columbia is doing right & what can be improved upon

krazeeboi

I'm a little mixed on the issue. First of all, I'd rather have no lights at all than lights that don't work. Secondly, I think lighted interstates give a much more urban feel, which I like, but are they practicle? They're expensive, require maintainence, and Columbia's interstates seem to be doing pretty good without them. Plus it could be said that they waste electricity and add to "light pollution".

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, it's just waaay too dark. The worst is when you actually have lights that don't work (like on I-85 through Greensboro and I-77 through Charlotte). And headlights don't always work 100%, especially if the painted lines are faded and there are no reflectors. That's an accident waiting to happen.

Thats different though. Thats a genuine safety issue. I dont get the concept of lighting an interstate just to make it look more urban. If it doesn't add to the safety of the driver then its a waste of money.

One thing Columbia is doing once again that can still be improved upon is attracting jobs, according to Forbes magazine's latest issue. They rank two South Carolina MSAs in their current list of the best 100 cities in which to find a job. Columbia is ranked #63 and Greenville is ranked #91.

Any idea on how much SCANA will subtract from that percentage when it leaves the CBD?

A lot of leaders are working behind the scenes in hopes of keeping SCANA downtown. From everything I have heard and read, other than some postings in UP forums, it is not a done deal that they are leaving the CBD.

SCANA needs to be a good corporate citizen and stay downtown. They are a monopoly and the public has no recourse for their irresponsibility. It would be a major set back should they leave.

A lot of leaders are working behind the scenes in hopes of keeping SCANA downtown. From everything I have heard and read, other than some postings in UP forums, it is not a done deal that they are leaving the CBD.

Thats different though. Thats a genuine safety issue. I dont get the concept of lighting an interstate just to make it look more urban. If it doesn't add to the safety of the driver then its a waste of money.

On I-85 in Greenville, the lights definitely make it much easier for my eyes to see everything/everyone around me, making my drive much safer and more relaxed. It obviously comes down to personal preference, but I have always prefered to drive on a well-lit road, especially when traffic is heavy.

^My thoughts exactly.

As far as SCANA goes, if they build a new tower, the CBD's vacancy rate would increase. I don't think we want to see a situation in which firms are simply transferring towers. That does nothing for net absorption.

Don't forget that older office buildings are currently being taken out of the supply of office space in Columbia: The Palmetto Building conversion to a Sheraton Boutique Hotel; The Barringer Building conversion into condominiums and the other (unnamed) building being converted into Vsion Condominiums.

Why do u need street lights on freeways? That's what you have headlights for; there's no pedestrian traffic.

I used to be a big time freeway lighting fan. I thought that if your city had a lot of them it makes the place feel BIG. However after my trip to San Diego and LA ast weekend I have changed my position. There aren't that many freeway lights. In the city propers there are lights but once you leave the city centers it is just as dark there as it is in other cities in the Carolinas.

^My thoughts exactly.

As far as SCANA goes, if they build a new tower, the CBD's vacancy rate would increase. I don't think we want to see a situation in which firms are simply transferring towers. That does nothing for net absorption.

But someone in the know who is in a negotiating position told me that the building they are in no longer suits them.

Archived